An accident happened on Canopy Los Veranos????

gringagirl

Hello all, I am taking my first cruise with Carnival in April and I´ve been watching the different forums to get advice on what I should do at the different ports, when I saw on another site, that someone mentioned an accident occured on Canopy Los Veranos. They said 2 people died and something about the final cable. I am not sure of any of this, but I saw it, and since I was thinking about doing a canopy tour, thought I would ask any of you to see if you heard anything about this. How scarry!

Hmmm... I've been searching the web for information about an accident with Canopy Los Veranos and am not coming up with anything. Can you post where you see info about an accident and what happened??

Thanks!

I know that on this tour they use one set of cables, where on Vallarta Adventure you are tied into two cables in case of an accident. It is not unlikely that something could happen and if it was with people who were not on a cruise then it is very possible that there won't be a lot of info on the boards about it. Also the fact that if it's in Mexico you will have a hard time finding any info on if it happened or not, they don't like bad publicity.

So, I just logged back on. No info huh, I was searching the web too, and couldn't find anything. I saw the original post on the Trip Advisor website, and when I returned a little bit ago, half of the replies had been removed from the post, which makes me wonder what was said!! crazy right?? I guess in the end, we won't know what really happened.

Good to know about the double line with Vallarta Adventures, though. I'll look into it, but I may just opt for cold beers and sunshine while in port that day!!! :-) Shame I'll be missing the whales, but I just couldn't get away from work any earlier. We will see, any other suggestions of what I should do, or other tours???

The pirate boat was a lot of fun and they take you to a beach for a 1-2 hours. There are a lot of great tours with Vallarta Adventures. We have done four land trips to PV and two cruise stops there and have never gone wrong with them. If you are looking for clear blue waters, head south of town.

We are booked to do Los Vernos next week. I went to Trip Advisor and couldn't find a thing about the accident and nothing came up when I just "googled" Los Vernos.....any idea if we should cancel or what? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

I would go. We had a blast and I felt very safe. Just remember your insect repellent.Wear jeans if possible I got bit by the sand fly and had to get antibiotics. Even if an accident did occur whats the chance of another?

Go and have a blast!

As far as I heard from people connected with Los Veranos NO accident happened.

There was a tragic moment when a passenger had a heart-attack and died there.

Awful of course, but those things can happen anywhere and have nothing to do with safety.

Hello all, I am taking my first cruise with Carnival in April and I´ve been watching the different forums to get advice on what I should do at the different ports, when I saw on another site, that someone mentioned an accident occured on Canopy Los Veranos. They said 2 people died and something about the final cable. I am not sure of any of this, but I saw it, and since I was thinking about doing a canopy tour, thought I would ask any of you to see if you heard anything about this. How scarry!

Hi Gringagirl, I've got the scoop for you on this - here is what happened:

A very fit 52 year old man had a heart attack while coming down the very last zip line. (The one that is very near the ground that you race eachother to the finish - not nearly as intimidating as any of the other lines.)

When he was received by the guide, and they realized he was not conscious, the guide and 2 other guides quickly released him from his harness and began CPR. The guides, and a paramedic who was on the tour, took turns performing CPR until the paramedics could arrive. The rest of the crew routed the rest of the tour around the scene since it was literally in front of the restaraunt and viewing area.

The man´s family was there and they praised the quick response and all of the efforts put forth by the crew and management at the canopy. They said there was nothing more that the crew could have done to save the man´s life and they handled everything the best they could. Apparently the man suffered a massive heart attack at the very same age his father had died of the same causes. The medics stated that the survival rate of a heart attack that massive was only 15% if he was in immediate medical attention ie; hospital.

It was a horrible day for everyone at the canopy, and down here in the office as well. Our thoughts and prayers were with the family as well as the canopy crew. The Los Veranos Canopy is in no way responsible for the unfortunate event, however they did an amazing job in handling the situation.

I hope this helps clear things up - I see now that the members of the other forums have begun correcting the misinformation that was posted.

More than cudos for the Los Veranos Team. I'm glad they more than live up to their reviews and go the extra mile to make sure they have the emergency people avaliable. I have heard great things about them and now even greater. I hope someone on their team reads this to let them know that everybody is greatful that they are really on top of things and more than live up to their reputation.

The only other excursion I know of that has Life guardes and parametics on hand is Randi in Mazatlan. They are always stationed at Victor's restaurant and have atv's plus Randi gave them walkie talkies incase they are needed at Victor's if there is some sort of allergy problem or something like that.

Again CONGRATAS Los Veranos Team. Good on you:) Kinda warms your heart that the good excursions are not always the ship sponsered and are really taking care of their travelers.

Tourists take the bus thingy travelers do the wild thing not thru the ships and get to experience the real Mexico and how they can handle things well.

Scruffers

How very sad. But what a way to go!

The safety of the zip lines is impressive. There are two connections to the line and the guide disconnects only one at a time. It is impossible to fall because you are never totally disconnected from the line.

As far as the line failing, there is very little that could go wrong. Those lines are thick steel cables and are wrapped around big trees and clamped with big clamps. Totally safe, and totally thrilling to do.

• 2 weeks later...
Do you work for Los Veranos? You are so lucky to be living down there in paradise and thank you for all the info you provide on PV makes me feel not as far away.

Hi Starspangle1,

No, we don't work for Los Veranos, but we did have several customers on their tour that day, and they reported what happened to us. Since this thread was started, friends of the victim have posted on other forums their version of the story, and it's nearly identical to the one we gave above, except with even more kudos.

Sherry,

I have been wondering about the insect population around the zip lines. I, myself, am an insect magnet. For some reason they find my flesh particulary inviting. Did you use insect repellent at all? I feel for you. Having to have antibiotics tells me it must have been quite unpleasant to deal with. I had a similar situation once in Florida, and it took weeks to clear up completely. Would you recommend this excursion for someone who is not particularly "outdoorsie" and who is prone to have severe reactions to insect bites?

Sherry,

I have been wondering about the insect population around the zip lines. I, myself, am an insect magnet. For some reason they find my flesh particulary inviting. Did you use insect repellent at all? I feel for you. Having to have antibiotics tells me it must have been quite unpleasant to deal with. I had a similar situation once in Florida, and it took weeks to clear up completely. Would you recommend this excursion for someone who is not particularly "outdoorsie" and who is prone to have severe reactions to insect bites?

For most island excursions I always pack the bug repellent. Even on some beaches in some places the sand fleas can get to people. And a warning from the government will advise travellers to be wary of malaria, but most times the malaria carrying mosquito is a 'night flyer'.

For someone like you who knows you are prone to bites, it's best to put on the insect repellent.:p Especially in places such as this, any rain forests, river tours, etc.

Jaycee200, myself, and DW were at the Los Veranos Canopy Tour a week ago today and it was fine...no issues. I would highly recommend going! It was SOOOOOOO much fun!

Sherry,

I too, have that flesh that the insects find especially inviting. Even using repellent I did have bites when I did this excursion last year in March. Also, not being the "outdoorsie" type, I found the hiking up the steep paths and stairs to be a bit taxing on me. (I'm a bit out of shape :o )

HOWEVER, I did think it was worth it and enjoyed every minute of it.

I find myself now faced with a similar dilemma...having just returned 03/03 from the W. Caribbean and wondering if I need antibiotics for the numerous bites I received (again using repellent WITH DEET!!)...I'm still itching like crazy!! Anyway, sailing the Mexican Riviera down to Ixtapa (which I understand is a Malaria region) in less than 2 weeks! To complicate things further I've had a low grade fever of unknown origin for over 9 MONTHS!!! For now, my take on things is that I'll do the best I can with disease prevention and live life to the fullest!!!! Including all those fun, thrilling rides whether in the jungle or the jet boats. You only life once!!! (Wish me luck anyway!!) :cool:

J

First, thanks for the replies to my question about insects/bug repellent. There is some measure of comfort knowing that my reluctance to go into the jungle and be eaten up by bugs is justified. As beautiful and wonderful an experience that I am sure it is, the trade off of itching and scratching my insect bites through the rest of the cruise makes me give the jungle excursion a second thought. I think a 4-hand massage at the Krystal Hotel Resort Spa may be a better choice for me.

I went on Vallarta adventure tours canopy tour, and I cannot say enough good things about them. The ride up there is bumpy. Bring bug repellent. You will need it. I like the idea that Vallarta adventures uses safety helmets, and gloves where it looks like the other company doesnt. It looks like this company uses more equipment than the other company does as well. Fro me, I like the idea of wearing more safety equipment. They have double lines on the runs I believe as well. I had heard rumors that the other company didnt have as safe equipment. Whether this is true or not I do not know. The guides where knowledgeable, and funny. all were bi or tri lingual ( they said they were required to know three languages if I remember right). They made us feel comfortable and we all had a great time. Would highly recommend Vallarta Adventures. and no.. I do not work for them or get any kick backs : )

I have been to Los Veranos just a few days ago and I can tell youi those guys do a great job. Their safety is very good, but of course listen to their instructions!

I will certainly do it again in the future, no doubt about that!!!

Archived