REVIEW - Captain Marvin's & Black Pearl Skate Park

PirateGal

My husband and I separated ways in Grand Cayma…I went on the snorkel and Stingray City excursion through Captain Marvin’s and he headed to the Black Pearl Skate Park at Grand Harbor.

I didn’t make an advance booking for the tour but I was still able to join the 9:15am half day tour. I really enjoyed the Captain Marvin tour and it was interesting to learn that Captain Marvin is an actual Captain and still alive! He’s 90 years old and still does the tours…this day, he was doing the full-day tour. The stingrays were my favourite part of the entire cruise. They are intimidating at first just because of the stigma surrounding them but once you get in the water, they are gentle creatures. They rub up against you and swim between your legs. I loved petting them – smooth and soft on the underbelly and course like sandpaper on top.

After the tour, I took the bus to Grand Harbor, which was easy enough to do…the bus station is located by the library and it cost $2.50. The ride took about 10 minutes. Grand Harbor is the home to the Black Pearl Skate Park but also in the area is a nice grocery store and shops. We also took the bus back downtown as well but that was a bit crazy. There are no bus stops, you just stand by the side of the road and wave down the bus…it almost passed us by but a kind lady on the bus saw us and told the driver. I wouldn’t hesitate to take the bus again because it had cost $17US by cab. I believe the same bus (Number 4) also goes to the Turtle Farm.

Grand Cayman was my favourite port and I wished we had been able to stay a bit longer.

Archived