Live from the Spirit

Moocat

Just thought I’d do a little check in for those of you coming aboard this weekend… and after even.

The weather really could not be any better… It’s nothing but Sun and Fun!

St Thomas- Went to Sapphire Beach,s it’s a resort, so there are facilities right there, as well as food, snacks, chairs, parasailing and jet ski’s. Our friend did the parasail and loved it… It was reasonably priced. A shaded cement area for the kiddies if you have a stroller that you need to push around… Theres some big Iguanas walking around for cute photos. The beach was nice and not more then 15 minutes from boat. There is shopping right off the boat for jewelry and such. One thing is that the shops must either be owned by the same person, or all price fix… You can’t go from one to another and bargain for higher end jewels, watches anyway.. They were only giving 20% off MSRP. You may be able to do better in the states.

Tortola- Wound up at Cane Garden Bay. The taxis seem to bring everyone there off the boat, so it must be the closest. There was another ship in, so it made it more crowded. We wanted to go to another beach, but there were only three of us at the time and we could not get anyone to take us. The beach overall was nice, but hard to find a sunny spot… Lots of trees with shade, not a very deep beach. There are little shops and open air café type places right there to eat or drink. If you go here don’t buy your souvenirs, until you go back to the tents by the boat, the prices were double on some items. Oh and the hills are crazy here.. I say hills but I should say roads… They wind around and up like a rollercoaster… Great views but make sure the taxi you choose looks new.. LOL Again, beach was nice overall, but really shaded.

DR- This is the only place we did an excursion. It was the Cayo Beach one. It was IMO the best beach overall. I have a little one so the layout was perfect…. The sand here was the powdery type that feels like silk on your toes.. It was a very deep beach, Tons of chairs, sunny and shady…. Snorkeling right off the beach… Shops and facilities.. The only thing that was not the greatest to put it mildly was the food…. Unless you want a nice lobster for $20, then you’re set! Hamburgers not good IMO, I gave it two bites then dropped it in the can! Drinks great though! Pina Coloadas… yum $3!! Domestic Beer was $5 each… Eat a big breakfast and you will be fine. Worth whatever the price is for the tender… It felt like a private island type thing, for those of you who have stopped with the other cruise lines.

Also friends did the four wheeling excursion and LOVED it… Not for all, but really adventurous…a waterfall, sites galour! A little dirty, but felt totally safe and got the island experience in there opinion!

We’ve eaten everywhere, pay and no pay but the French place… Sushi is good and for $15 all you can eat, well worth it!! Cagney’s great too, did the lobster and filet- $30 for both!! I don’t mind paying… I can choose to eat at the no-pay, but sometimes we don’t prefer the menu that night.. It’s nice to have the other as an option. Reservations only accepted one day in advance, so make it a priority in the mornings if you are a picky eater and want what you want!

I will give my full review when I come home, just thought I’d kill some time while waiting to leave DR… and let you all know some stuff. Happy cruising !

]

My family travels the same itinerary you are currently on on the Spirit on March 10th. We had planned to do exactly the same as you did in the ports and we are traveling with a 3 and 5 year old. I too would love to know how old your child(ren) is/are and how they are enjoying the Kids Crew. How did you get around in St. Thomas? Did you hire a taxi or use the dollar taxis? Thanks for the recommendation on making sure to get a cab that looks new when going to CGB in Tortola.

Hello again.. this time from land.

Kids Crew was really great.. My son who was 3, (actually turned 4 on the boat) loved it. They did little projects, face painting, theme nights and showed movies. They even gave him a little gift bag for his birthday with some spiderman & nemo stuff in it! I thought the staff was great, they have silly names so the kids remember them easier. I think the 2-5 year group counselers were Hot Dog & Jellyfish . My son, as well as the couples we traveled with, who had a 2 and 7 year old loved it as well.

I will do a full review in the next week or so... including my quarintine the last day due to a virus I contracted, MOST LIKELY from eating in the DR. Guess that two bites of burger was all it took ! LOL

I will do a full review in the next week or so... including my quarintine the last day due to a virus I contracted, MOST LIKELY from eating in the DR. Guess that two bites of burger was all it took ! LOL

Oh no that's not fun!!

My GD 4 years old loved the kids club I think she had a crew member called crazy. She liked him and they were all nice.

I just got off the Spirit as well and I would highly reccomend NOT to eat the Shushi... 30 people got sick a few nights ago who ate the Shogun Sushi place. Just warning you!

We did the Virgin Gorda Snorkel in Tortola and it was AMAZING... I would highly recommend it!!! Also the Second City group are very funny... and the staff are really pushy with the drinks but we had a great time! Make sure you wash your hands a lot too... a lot of people got sick towards the end including two of our friends who said it is something you really DO NOT want to get!

Have a great time!!

The burgers in the DR were nasty, only took one bite and threw it away, no one in our group got sick, but we noticed the last 2 days they would not let you get your own drinks, they did it for you and this morning at breakfast you could not touch the utensils. Weather was great, had a great time. We did a sailboat tour in st. thomas, went to the baths in Tortola, and did the whale watch excursion in the DR and it was great, saw a lot of whales, then went to the beach, and it was very nice. Missing it already....

I just got off the Spirit as well and I would highly reccomend NOT to eat the Shushi... 30 people got sick a few nights ago who ate the Shogun Sushi place. Just warning you!

Hmmm.. I wonder if that's where I got it then :confused: The only thing is that my husband and friend ate 3 x's more then me that night (Thursday). We also ate there Tuesday and had no problem. We liked both the sushi and the regular menu. I guess any time you eat sushi you take a chance. Thank god the quarantine was only for the last day!!

Thanks for all the great info. I will be on the Spirit in 5 days on the same route. My mind is already on the ship. At least that is what several of my students told me today. I would have to agree with them. I barely remember what we were talking about today at school.

Your messages have been a great help to me. Thanks so much. Ports very good. Entertainment ok at best. Beware of Norwalk virus or bad sushi. Got it!

;)

Archived