Passport shipped to another person!?

sushisushi

My boyfriend paid for express service for his passport, as well as Express (2nd day) shipping through USPS. They neglected to give him a tracking number at the post office, so it took us a while to get it and find out where his passport was. We just found out it ended up getting shipped to a completely different STATE, where somebody else signed for it on February 22nd. The passport agency is invalidating that one and Express shipping him a new one, but his birth certificate has been lost (since it was supposed to be in the package with the first passport).

Is there anything else we need to do, as far as protecting him against identity theft and such? Where should we file complaints? How concerned SHOULD we be? (I'm really worried, he doesn't think it's a big deal outside of than the fact we might not get to go on our trip.)

And another question: They didn't mail my birth certificate back with my passport. They are supposed to, correct? That's what I was told at the post office.

My boyfriend paid for express service for his passport, as well as Express (2nd day) shipping through USPS. They neglected to give him a tracking number at the post office, so it took us a while to get it and find out where his passport was. We just found out it ended up getting shipped to a completely different STATE, where somebody else signed for it on February 22nd. The passport agency is invalidating that one and Express shipping him a new one, but his birth certificate has been lost (since it was supposed to be in the package with the first passport).

Is there anything else we need to do, as far as protecting him against identity theft and such? Where should we file complaints? How concerned SHOULD we be? (I'm really worried, he doesn't think it's a big deal outside of than the fact we might not get to go on our trip.)

And another question: They didn't mail my birth certificate back with my passport. They are supposed to, correct? That's what I was told at the post office.

That's really scary. You'd think that with all the increased security, FBI would have personally retrieved the passport and birth certificate for you.

Viv

Archived