documentation question

Hello folks,

Wife and I are cruising on Dawn 6/2/07. We dont have passports and we intended to get them, but now reading about the hassle, processing delays and cost, we're just gonna put that off till next year since we can still get away with just using Drivers' Lic. and Birt Certificate one more time.

My question is this: last year our cruise was our honeymoon and since we were only married the day before it, I booked my wife under her maiden name since all her documents were in that name. Now for this cruise I booked her under her married name. This doesn't match her BC (obviously) and doesn't match her license either (long story as to why she hasn't yet gotten that updated). We'll bring along our marriage cert. but does anyone think there might be any problem? Should I call NCL and change the reservation to be under her name as it appears on her license? We've got plenty of time, so if we really had to I guess we could get her new drivers license (she has to go to SS office and get new SS card first, and that means missing a day of work etc etc etc--- a big pain yes.)

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks!

Hello folks,

Wife and I are cruising on Dawn 6/2/07. We dont have passports and we intended to get them, but now reading about the hassle, processing delays and cost, we're just gonna put that off till next year since we can still get away with just using Drivers' Lic. and Birt Certificate one more time.

My question is this: last year our cruise was our honeymoon and since we were only married the day before it, I booked my wife under her maiden name since all her documents were in that name. Now for this cruise I booked her under her married name. This doesn't match her BC (obviously) and doesn't match her license either (long story as to why she hasn't yet gotten that updated). We'll bring along our marriage cert. but does anyone think there might be any problem? Should I call NCL and change the reservation to be under her name as it appears on her license? We've got plenty of time, so if we really had to I guess we could get her new drivers license (she has to go to SS office and get new SS card first, and that means missing a day of work etc etc etc--- a big pain yes.)

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks!

My opinion.......update the SS and drivers license. It has to be done anyway. Take the Marriage cert. also. and do not wait until next year to get a passport. Get it when you get back:)

Yes, I think you should bring all the proof you have, and change the drivers license to match. Not only will it be a problem at thepier, but in certain ports. I have a very long last name and it doesnt fit on my cruise cards. I have been stopped in three ports because the names dont match exactly.

Also, you can make an appointment at a passport office locally and get a passport in one day if you are traveling soon. Check out the official website for guidelines.

I renewed my passport for that very reason before we cruised in Feb. The name on my cruise docs was my married name, & the name on my passport was my maiden name. I didn't want to have to worry about any hassles, so i got my passport renewed before we left & all was fine. It was easier to do that than to worry about all the other forms of ID I needed otherwise.

If you don't leave until June, you have plenty of time to get your passports without having to even expedite it. It's not cheap no matter how you do it, but you have to do it at some point for next year's changes.

I called NCL b/c I have the same problem - passport and birth certificate are in my maiden name but cruise and driver's license are in my married name. They said as long as I bring my marriage license which connects my two names I'll be fine. happy sailing!

Update the Driver's license and get passports. Otherwise you'll find yourself in the same postion prior to your next cruise. Nobody seems to get passports until they need them... and if you travel you will need them. So stop with the hesitating and 'get ur done!'

Another one who votes you bite the bullet and get the passports. If, God forbid, you have to FLY HOME from a foreign country while on your cruise, you would need it.

If you don't want to get passports now, when your wife changes her driver's license, have her change it to:

First Name - Maiden Name - Married Last Name (not hyphenated, just as a middle name)

That's how mine reads, and before I got a passport several years ago and used the certified copy of my birth certificate to cruise, it was VERY easy to match it to my name on my driver's license, since my maiden name was listed.

Enjoy your cruise! :)

Getting all new IDs is a hassle, I had to go through that when I got home from my Honeymoon cruise. Here is a tip... You have to get the new SS card before you can get the new Drivers License. BUT you don't have to go to the SS office to get the new card. My husband lost his and went to the SS office for a new one and it was a huge hassle. When I got my new SS card for my married name, I simply went to their website, downloaded the correct form and mailed in all my information. In a couple of weeks, I got my card in the mail. Ironically, my husband wasted all that time in the SS office, and he left with only a reciept - he also had to wait a couple of weeks to have the card sent in the mail! Here is the link for the government's website to download all the information for a new name on an SS card: http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/ssa.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=315

You seem pretty internet savvy, so this should work out much better than taking time off work. Good luck! :)

Getting all new IDs is a hassle, I had to go through that when I got home from my Honeymoon cruise. Here is a tip... You have to get the new SS card before you can get the new Drivers License. BUT you don't have to go to the SS office to get the new card. My husband lost his and went to the SS office for a new one and it was a huge hassle. When I got my new SS card for my married name, I simply went to their website, downloaded the correct form and mailed in all my information. In a couple of weeks, I got my card in the mail. Ironically, my husband wasted all that time in the SS office, and he left with only a reciept - he also had to wait a couple of weeks to have the card sent in the mail! Here is the link for the government's website to download all the information for a new name on an SS card: http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/ssa.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=315

You seem pretty internet savvy, so this should work out much better than taking time off work. Good luck! :)

Check your state laws for DL requirements. For another couple going on our cruise; she needed a new DL reflecting her married name to get the Passport; it was accomplished in 3 days with out any social security card change. All she needed was her marriage license. The whole process from start to finish for the passport was 6 weeks and now she's set for 10 years; assuming no more name changes!

Archived