What is there to do in Sicily?

Our last stop is Palermo, any ideas on things to see? We would like to be able to just walk off the ship and wander around, is that possible, or is everything a bus or train ride away? Is there anything that is 'must see'?

The minimum to visit are the cathedral and the Capella Palatina.

The cathedral hosts for example the tombs of several Sicilan kings including Frederick II (also emperor of Germany) who was buried in 1250.

In the impressiv 12th century Palazzo dei Normans (named after the Normans who enlarged and refitted the magnificent structure) you will find the splendid Capella Palatina, representing the apex of the Arabo-Norman genius and build from 1130 to 1140 when it was adorned with extraordinary Byzantine mosaic. Important, impressive and just beautiful.

With a good guidebook or map you can find many other gems im Palermo. Churches like San Francesco d'Assisi (1255-1277), ruins like those of San Giovanni degli Eremiti with its monastery and gardens, the Fontana Pretoria (mid 15th century) and the lively street markets are just examples.

Well worth to visit is also the Palazzo Mirto. This palace date froms the 18th century and remains as it was with its original furnishing. The last family member lived there until, if I remember right, something like 1970. While many buildings in old Palermo are almost destructed and even this looks from the outside quite badly, you can see how Sicilian noble families lived in better days.

I have a feeling I will be eating Pizza and cannoli the entire trip!!!! (which also means I had better find the treadmill on the ship:eek: )

But those are nothing like the pizza and the cannoli in Sicily! There is so much to do in Palermo and you can walk everywhere. The market was unbelievable you must see it, the had huge swordfish and octopuss. The Dumo was an old Arib Mosuqe that is stunning. The parks the waterfront, the streets, the people everything is very intense. The have a beautiful Roman Park filled with orange trees, statue and fountains . . . and did I mention the cannoli??

Archived