Best Shore Excursions for Regatta Caribbean?

Olwyn

My parents are going on Regatta's Caribbean Itinerary on March 11th, and was wondering if anyone has done this route before, and what the best optional tours might be?

They are in their 70's, and I am hoping for something relaxed and not too strenuous...St. Barths, Virgin Gorda, Grand Turk, etc..

Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks so much!

Olwyn :)

Hello,

We were on the 10 day sailing. We no longer take ships excursions unless we have to, we like adventuring out on our own. We took one ship snorkel tour in Grand Turk which was very nice. They took us to a coral garden and the tour guide was really informative and safety minded. Afterward we went right to the beach where the ship docks at the new pier and layed on the free lounge chairs at Margaritaville. There is another beach right past Margaritaville, but no need to walk there because there was no one on the Margaritaville beach. We were the only ship in port, so we had it all to ourselves. The pier has some nice shops. I understand there is a small town in Grand Turk, but not much there to see.

In Virgin Gorda we took a taxi to The Baths from the dock. There will also be a ship tour here. "The Bath's" are huge bolders to the left of the beach that you can climb through. Your parents would need to be very careful if they do this. They can still walk in (wear water shoes) for some distance and see some amazing boulders with pools of water (careful of sea urchins) and take some nice photos. I would not recommend they try to do any of the climbing through the boulders.

In St. Barths we rented a car, and hit all the beaches. St. Barths has a small beach near the pier that they could walk to (Shell Beach), if they are in good shape. There is also nice shops,(expensive) and HUGE yachts in the harbor.

In Antigua, again we rented a car and hit all the beaches, also Nelson's Dockyard and Shirley Heights. They could take the ship tour to Nelson's Dockyard and Shirley Heights, they will enjoy it. They could also take a taxi to one of the nearby beaches. Antigua has 365 of them. The locals are really nice. We got lost a couple times and people just stopped what they were doing and helped us out. There is also shopping at the dock area. We didn't have time to do any shopping, so can't comment on the shops.

In Tortola, we took the ferry to Peter Island (beautiful!!) There are many taxi drivers as you get off the ship that will take you for an island tour and to the beaches in Tortola. They might want to stick to ship tours if they are not used to dealing with this on their own. The ship will leave without them if they are not back in time.

Samana is a dump. The ship tour to Cayo Leventado did not stop there as the tour described, so I can't say for sure they will go there if they take the ship tour. The little island looked beautiful, but we couldn't find anyone at the dock to take us there. There are many scooters rigged with a little carriage that will take you around Samana, but we didn't talk with anyone who actually did this.

Hopefully someone will reply who took more of the ship tours.

My parents are going on Regatta's Caribbean Itinerary on March 11th, and was wondering if anyone has done this route before, and what the best optional tours might be?

They are in their 70's, and I am hoping for something relaxed and not too strenuous...St. Barths, Virgin Gorda, Grand Turk, etc..

Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks so much!

Olwyn :)

hi Olwyn, I see you have only gotten one answer, so even though I haven't done this cruise, I have been on almost all of the islands.

If your parents are water lovers, by all means take at least one sailing/swimming excursion. We have done the Soufriere by land and sea on HAL and it is really wonderful, even if you only sit on the catamaran and don't go in the water. When I did it, I had recently had knee surgery so I just stayed on the boat while my husband swam.

Or, on Virgin Gorda, take the catamaran snorkel tour. The scenery is incredible.

On St. Barth's, be aware the hills are very steep and the ride is scary. We rented a jeep, but had an experienced manual transmission driver who could handle the starts from very steep hills without losing it. The roads are narrow and very winding. We did have a blast but it wasn't an easy drive. Be very aware if they go off into the local areas by beaches. We were warned not to leave anything in the jeep. Good advice. We were hassled a bit at a beach by a marijuana smoking derelict, but with four of us (and my husband over 6 Ft and 240 lbs), he backed off --- it helps to know a few French obscenities to use --- my five years of French and a close friend who taught me the better insults helps when necessary.

In Gustavia itself, the town is wonderful yet pricey. We had a great time in the stores, and I found Fleur de Sel in the supermarket --- so I was a very happy camper since my supply from Provence had been depleted. We had a drink while marveling at the yachts, and if you really need a $400 casual shirt or $300 topsiders, this is the place to find them. :)

Tortola is a fun place to look for spices or to go the the Pusser's Rum store and bar.

Haven't been to Grand Turk or Samana so can't help there. I do know that RSSC Mariner is on Cayo Levantado the day you are in Samana, so warn your parents that they may find the beach there a bit crowded since they are advertising that they have a complimentary beach/BBQ day there for all guests. We were contemplating the Mariner for a getaway this month. We are tired of snow, ice and winds. This cruise and a later one on Mariner advertise a complimentary beach party on Cayo Levantado. We decided not to book since there were only two places we hadn't seen -- Grand Turk and Cayo Levantado, and we couldn't convince friends to go with us.

I hope your parents really have fun. We have done so much by cruising. I have learned to snorkel even though I'm not a great swimmer. We have hiked and biked and white water rafted with people as old or older as your parents. Age is a state of mind.

Thank you both for your input! Much appreciated. My folks are thinking of trying a river tubing expedition in Antigua, I think it is! Mom will wear her waders!

Muchas Gracias!

Olwyn xo:)

Archived