Oceania Info 2005

gr8aunt

Does anyone know when Oceania's 2005 brochure will be out? I am trying to plan something for May/June. Also, any idea when Oceania's third ship will be in service and what her itinerary will be?

Gr8aunt,

I'm sorry I can't help you with this question.

I have addressed your question from another board to you in an email to your Yahoo address. Please check that address or write to me at [email]lpnielsen@hotmail.com[/email]

Thank you.

Laura

I just got back from an "Insignia" cruise - Barcelona to Venice. The onboard sales person said the new brochures should be out in a couple months. The new ship "Nautica" will be in service next May. (Also one of the ex- Ren ships)After doing the Med, she'll transit the Suez and sail in Asia, Australia & New Zealand. We're booked for the Xmas/Newyears cruise from Singapore to Auckland leaving Dec 22, 2005

Ibsalob...we are going on the same ship and itinerary...Barcelona to Venice...in August. Would love to hear more details. What were some of the highlights? Thanks

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;8;17;18;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100[/img]
8/17Insignia Barcelona to Venice

Hello Cruzemaven, We are sailing with you. I believe the most interesting port will be: Barcelona, Marseille, Monte Carlo, Portofino, Livorno, Bonifacio, Rome, Sorrent, Korfu, Dubrovnik.

We've never sailed on an American ship and we only decided to take this adventure and to book the cruise because of the itiniary.

At least one advice: I really felt in love with Barcelona two years ago, so I would recommend you to book a pre-cruise stay in Barcelona (at minimum two days).

Ernst

Hello Frnst and Cruzemaven:

My husband and I (40ish from L.A.) will be on this cruise too. We can't wait! We sailed on this ship (her sister the R8) in 2001 (actually during Sept. 11)and really enjoyed it. Friends (60ish) of our just got back from a Med. Oceania and loved it! I will get the details. We've also sailed on Celebrity and I've been on Seabourn and a number of other cruise lines.

What are your plans for Florence and Rome? We were in Florence last year, so we may go to the countryside or just stay on the ship. In Rome, we want to take a tour, but not with the ship. We will either take the train or the ship's transportation into Rome and hire a guide or walk on our own. However, we are open to sharing a guide/transportation.

A suggestion..from Florence last year my husband and I had a guide and we toured Cinque a Terre (the five towns) it was a wonderful experience and not something most tourists do..

Jan
Cruzunlimited

[url="http://homepage.sunrise.ch/homepage/avong/cinque_terre/"]http://homepage.sunrise.ch/homepage/avong/cinque_terre/[/url]
Try this link, I dont remember the cost but it was one of the most memorable days we had..

Jan
Cruzunlimited

lbsalob, How many nights is the cruise 12/22/05 Singapore to Auckland on the Nautica? Sounds like a great opportunity and we might have enough frequent flyer miles by then. Thanks in advance for your reply and sorry about the double post.

Wendalla,

We are 30 years old and prefer to organize the excursions on our own. We really don't like to get stuffed into a coach, sit there and wait for the next picture-stop.
So we probably will go to rome by train (it's an 1,5 h ride to stazione termini, we will explore rome on ourselves without any guide, because it's our second visit tpo rome and we just like to visit places ofg our interest).

To Florence we will go by train too. This is even a 1,5 h ride from Livorno to Florence. The public railway system in Italy is cheaper (Civitavecchia - Rome about 6 EUR one way per person) and better than in Germany(more and regular trains). I suppose, travelling by train is the best choice in Italy.

Either in Rome or in Florence the stay will be long enough to use the trains and to take an early train back not to miss the ship's departure.

Actually we are really excited about the cruise. Although it's not our first one, we never cruised with an American line with mainly english-speaking passengers. So it is going to be an adventure and a great experience for us.

Looking forward to meeting you

Ernst

Wendalla,

the Cingue Terre is a lovely countyside in Italy. There are five villages (For Heavens sake these are not towns)located at the coast. We hiked the region four years ago and I strongly recommend to visit this landscape.

Cinque Terre are located about 80 kilometers in the North of Livorno, but it's a rather short way from Portofino. We were in Portofino four years ago and this is a lovely Italian village, but it looks like it was built especially for Americans (sorry). There's a nice monastery to walk near Portofino but I strongly recommend to visit Cinque Terre if we stay at Portofino.
To cut a long story short:
At one hand Portofino is located nearer to the Cinque Terre than Livorno and at the other hand Portofino isn't as spectactular as Florence.

We decided to have a nice walk around Portofino and enjoy the swimming pool onboard that day, because we know Cinque Terre. But you should really organize an excursion.

Ernst

Sorry Ernst, we dont have any villages in the US only towns..I will be careful of that from now on [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] have a great trip!!

Jan
Cruzunlimited

Ernst & Jan:

Thanks for the information on Cinque Terre.

Ernst:
Cinque Terre does sound lovely, but if we decide to get off the ship in Livorno, we most likely will go to Siena and San Gimignano. As you know, there are so few days at sea on this cruise. We don't want to feel like we need a vacation when we get back from vacation! However, I hate to miss out on something. . .but we will see.

In Rome, it looks as though we will probably take the train into the city and use a guide book to navigate around or use a local guide. I was in Rome many, many years ago, but my husband has never been. So, we will see only a few of the main attractions and save enough time stroll around the shopping areas. The only problem with the train for someone like me who tends to worry a bit, is making sure we get on the correct train and get off at the right stop. . . not to mention getting back to the ship in time! However, I am sure we will manage.
We look forward to meeting you. I am sure you will enjoy the ship!

Wendalla
As I wrote, going by train is no major problem in Italy. Heading to Rome is no problem because Stazione Termini is a terminal, coming back to civitavecchia I suggest to note the station you pass after civitavecchia. So you know in time when you have to leave the train.

As I heard from another couple, which went to Rome by train, the Italian railway do often change the platforms (Is this proper English?). Therefore we will take this into account and leave Rome in time (we want to be back on board at 6 p.m.). Indeed, it would be no major problem to go to Naples next day ;-)

Ernst

Please share details of the Dec 2005 booking you made, ports, etc. Cannot find any information anywhere about this wonderful sounding trip. You must have booked aboard your last cruise. Can't wait to hear details.

I was able to book an Asia cruise while onboard the Insignia for Nov. 2005. I believe the onboard cruise consultant told me the Nautica was sailing in late summer or early fall of 2005.
Steve

The "preliminary" schedule I saw onboard had the Nautica making her inaugural cruise in May 2005 to the Aegean and Adriatic, and continuing with other Med sailings before heading to SE Asia in the fall with 14-day cruises allowing overnights in Hong Kong, Hanoi (Camh Ranh Bay), Saigon, Singapore, and Bangkok if I recall correctly, with at sea days between several of those ports.

To continue with this thread's diversion [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img], I would recommend using Paolo as a driver/guide in Rome. His English is so good you'll swear he's from Brooklyn, and he'll tailor a tour to fit your tastes. He's up front about his prices too. You can check out his website and testimonials [url="http://www.drivinguide.com"]here.[/url]

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;4;3;17;00;00&timezone=GMT+0000[/img]
From the Insignia's Inaugural sailing (4/3/2004)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Sorry Ernst, we dont have any villages in the US only towns..I will be careful of that from now on have a great trip!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jan,

I'm sure you've been to Greenwich Village! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

• 2 weeks later...
The new 2005 brochures for Europe are not finished being printed yet..BUT as of today they are on the Oceania website..
Check them out..several changes are being made to the ship and to the pricing..

Jan
Cruzunlimited

Archived