Carnival with three kids? Restrictions/curfews?

rockstarmama

I have only been on one cruise so far, and leave for my next in 3 weeks! Last summer I took my three girls on a cruise (as the only adult). We sailed on the Norwegian Spirit out of NYC. While I absolutely loved the cruise and the freestyle dining, my 14 yr old was told that she could come and go as she pleased. I was completely frustrated one night when I woke up at 3am in the cabin with my 11 and 7 yr olds and the 14 yr. old had never returned. I wound up leaving my younger ones (I woke the 11 yr old to tell her) and walking every deck of the ship until I found my teen. It was very hard to single parent those three different age groups while on the ship. Not that the cruise line should be a parent, but does Carnival have an actual curfew policy? I want this vacation to be less stressful than the last. At least their dad is coming with us on this one...

I'm also looking forward to meeting more people. NCL freestyle cruising was great, but wasn't very conducive to mingling.

• 2 weeks later...

While I don't know if there is a curfew imposed by Carnival, I know that my 16-year-old daughter will certainly have a curfew imposed by myself when we are on a cruise. Yes, it would be hard single parenting several age groups on a cruise since they would all have different interests, but I think it best to have an evening curfew as well as check-in times during the day. Unless she was in the teen club area or at a specific function or activity, I think I will probably have her with me in the evening.

I'm not sure if Carnival has a curfew, I know RCCL does. But as others have pointed out at this board, the curfews aren't enforced at all so it is going to be your job as parents to set the limits for your teen.

I don't envy you at all. I have no idea what parenting a teen is like (my oldest is only 7, lol) But I can just imagine how upset I would have been if my daughter was not back in the cabin at 3am.

Personally, IF she breaks YOUR curfew, I would tell her that if she wants to be treated like a child, she can come back to the cabin by 10pm. And if she refuses to accept that, she can stay home with Grandma. ;)

I can guarantee I would be having MANY conversations with my daughter before the cruise. And I would set up a list of punishments too. If she doesn't obey the curfew you impose, then you will implement punishments both on the cruise and at home.

Here is an interesting thread that may help you plan. I'm fully planning a formal discussion with all the kids before we set sail next month.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=512657

On our trip last year, I had a really difficult time accepting my then 12-yo son's independence. It was NOT relaxing for me because, even though we had defined curfews and rules, there was an independence that he just doesn't have at home (we live in a rural area with no friends in walking distance). After that trip, I asked my sister and her family to come with us this year, and I'm hoping for more security in numbers and having my two sons accompanied by their cousins.

Setting your own rules will work...despite my worries, ds was always respectful of our curfews and check in times. We used both radios and post it notes to communicate. We met throughout the evening for check in times and I made a point to see what kids he was with and even introduce myself to the parents of the kids, given the opportunity. I'd usually do a stroll by outside of Club O2 and see him hanging with a group of kids. Only once did I catch him being silly to the point of obnoxious (throwing ice cubes). Boy did he get an earful about being respectful of other passengers! I'm sure I fully embarrassed him in front of his new friends, but tough luck.

Just a note....several months later, ds admitted to me that he had opportunities presented to him to smoke and drink while on the cruise, which he declined. Talk about mixed emotions - happy that he confided in me, made good decisions, etc, but it scares the crap out of me that he's already being presented with these opportunities.

I always gave my daughter a curfew when we are on cruise and I always thought that she obeyed them because I would not go to sleep till she was back in the cabin (and I always checked on her and her friend about every hour until they were back in the room).

I found out after one of our cruises that they would wait until I was asleep and they would sneak out. She told me that all they did was sit on deck and talk to the new friends they had made on the ship. I am extra carefull now and make dire consequences if they are caught!

I don't have one this age yet but I could only imagine...I agree with the other parent that you should give her a curfew and have that be it...she should probably be in the camp with the other kids her age though and that should be enough time with them...I would say to take her sign and sail away when you leave her maybe and tell her that she must come back by 10pm or security will be looking for her with a picture and her sign and sail and she will be extremely embarrassed or something, therefore she can't enter the room after 10pm without you and if she isn't there then you go find her but i must say that on a large ship she will be harder to find...they can be big!! Good Luck!

Taking away her sign and sail card doesnt work. My daughter went to guest relations and had a new one made saying she lost hers.

Oh I would have flipped out! How did you handle this? I need tips cause I am NOT looking forward to those years. :rolleyes:

rockstarmama - We were on this ship 16 months ago. There is no ship enforced curfew. Here's our solution- We make the kids carry Walkie - Talkies. (We have Motorola ones that can cover a five mile radius.) When they decide to do something like swimming where they wouldn't be able to hear/respond, they have to "call" us first and tell us where they are and what they are doing. Then when they are done they have to Let us know when they are on the move again. Otherwise the radio must be on at all times. This gives them independance and you some control. If the rule is broken - they are not allowed to go off by themselves. -end of story. I think that if your daughter understands that you are trying to also have a good time without worrying about where she is then she should understand.

Here is an interesting thread that may help you plan. I'm fully planning a formal discussion with all the kids before we set sail next month.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=512657

On our trip last year, I had a really difficult time accepting my then 12-yo son's independence. It was NOT relaxing for me because, even though we had defined curfews and rules, there was an independence that he just doesn't have at home (we live in a rural area with no friends in walking distance). After that trip, I asked my sister and her family to come with us this year, and I'm hoping for more security in numbers and having my two sons accompanied by their cousins.

Setting your own rules will work...despite my worries, ds was always respectful of our curfews and check in times. We used both radios and post it notes to communicate. We met throughout the evening for check in times and I made a point to see what kids he was with and even introduce myself to the parents of the kids, given the opportunity. I'd usually do a stroll by outside of Club O2 and see him hanging with a group of kids. Only once did I catch him being silly to the point of obnoxious (throwing ice cubes). Boy did he get an earful about being respectful of other passengers! I'm sure I fully embarrassed him in front of his new friends, but tough luck.

Just a note....several months later, ds admitted to me that he had opportunities presented to him to smoke and drink while on the cruise, which he declined. Talk about mixed emotions - happy that he confided in me, made good decisions, etc, but it scares the crap out of me that he's already being presented with these opportunities.

Well, I have pretty much realized that Carnival is not going to help me. However, this time I have her dad with me and we talked this morning about some very specific rules (that she can't plead 'I didn't know').

I am a bit fearful that she may try the 'sneak out thing', but we are going to be on top of each other in our cabin (5 in a 185 s.f.) so my hope is that she'd have to climb over us to get out....;-)

My 12 and 8 are really good kids. The 15, well.... she always tries to find a way to push the envelope. She's not a bad kid, though. Just tried everything WAY too early due to finding chinks in our parental armor. To those of you with younger kids - my words of wisdom based on my mistakes... let the reigns out really slowly... and always try to keep the lines of communication open.

There are already 8 teens within her age group on our roll call -- and that is only on CC.... yikes! I'm sure she'll be having fun. I'll report back how the teenage thing went.

Oh I would have flipped out! How did you handle this? I need tips cause I am NOT looking forward to those years. :rolleyes:

I did not mention the worst part, her and her friend snuck off the ship in the Bahamas with some other teens that they had met on board. For the rest of the cruise she was by my side and when we got home she was not allowed to get her drivers liscense for six more months.

I also, the day before she got her driver's liscense I had a tracking system put on her car. Wherever she went, at least with her car, I was able to keep track of her.

Those teenage years are challenging but well worth it!

I did not mention the worst part, her and her friend snuck off the ship in the Bahamas with some other teens that they had met on board. For the rest of the cruise she was by my side and when we got home she was not allowed to get her drivers license for six more months.

I also, the day before she got her driver's license I had a tracking system put on her car. Wherever she went, at least with her car, I was able to keep track of her.

Those teenage years are challenging but well worth it!

Oy vey. Well even our good kids make some really dumb choices, don't they? And even wonderful parents (like us!) can have stupid kids! My 13 yo has already given me some gray hairs for doing things that are totally NOT age appropriate. Try having a Trooper bring home a 12 year old for sneaking out to see a girl! Luckily, he seems to have redeveloped focus on the behavioral front after several months of grounding. He hasn't been on the computer for anything other than homework in 6 months!

Gosh this is what I have to look forward too?? My DH is really amazing with our 6 year old, she pushes me but she would never dare try pushing Daddy and she knows that if she does there are consequences but she is too scared to even try honestly. How about this...is there anyone in your area like grandparents or aunts or something that she could stay with on your next vacation? If so threaten that if she pulls it this time she will be staying with them while you go without her and tell her not to test you because you WILL do it as it will save you money and the aggravation! My daughter would flip out I know that and she wouldn't pull it....the thing with the walkie talkies I don't know how well it would work because they CAN turn them off so then you can't reach them, and they COULD lose it or decide to just NOT call you on it...I say put fear in their little behinds lol sometimes it's the only thing that works.

Archived