Tip: Use porter at debarkation

I found this true on both my Golden Princess debarkation two months ago in New Orleans, and just yesterday in Miami when debarking from the Fascination..

Use a PORTER after you find your luggage in the warehouse prior to going through customs.

By doing so, you will bypass the entire line of passengers winding through the line waiting to meet their customs agent. When I did this in New Orleans, I was absolutely amazed. The porter put our bags on his cart, and said "follow me". We must have bypassed five hundred people waiting to get through customs. Same thing happened at the Port Of Miami. I'm sure people in line thought I was getting some kind of priority VIP debarkation, but I wasn't. I simply asked a porter for help with my bags.

It was a ten dollar tip very well spent.

You aren't kidding! We didn't get one this week in New Orleans and were so mad at ourselves as we waited in that line of 500 people. We KNEW better and still did everything wrong.

Good tip for people. :)

I found this true on both my Golden Princess debarkation two months ago in New Orleans, and just yesterday in Miami when debarking from the Fascination..

Use a PORTER after you find your luggage in the warehouse prior to going through customs.

By doing so, you will bypass the entire line of passengers winding through the line waiting to meet their customs agent. When I did this in New Orleans, I was absolutely amazed. The porter put our bags on his cart, and said "follow me". We must have bypassed five hundred people waiting to get through customs. Same thing happened at the Port Of Miami. I'm sure people in line thought I was getting some kind of priority VIP debarkation, but I wasn't. I simply asked a porter for help with my bags.

Thx for Tip.

Now only if they would get me a darn Porter for check-in.:D

Darn carry-on's need porter asst. too.

Hi, I'm confused about the porter. :rolleyes: I may be having a blonde moment, but it seems like on my other cruises I had to go through customs before ever getting to the warehouse where the luggage is. Am I wrong, and if so, can somebody straighten me out:D. Your way sounds a whole lot better. Thanks.

you present to the immigration people and then go through customs after you get your luggage - they are the ones responsible to collect duty on your overage and to make sure no plants, fruits or animals get by.

The first people you meet make sure you are legal to come into the country.

:rolleyes: Just wondering..anybody ever debark in Miami and schudule an excursion with RCI...do you get off early and go through customs and then have to pick up your luggage in the warehouse or do you just go through customs and they load your luggage onto the bus for you? So maybe you don't need to get a porter or even deal with your luggage...?

:rolleyes: Just wondering..anybody ever debark in Miami and schudule an excursion with RCI...do you get off early and go through customs and then have to pick up your luggage in the warehouse or do you just go through customs and they load your luggage onto the bus for you? So maybe you don't need to get a porter or even deal with your luggage...?

Well.. we have done one with CCL before, and they put your luggage on the bus. We went to the Seaquarium and then straight to the airport from there.

We were on of the first to leave the ship because of the excursion so the customs lines were minimal. ;)

...Please tell me that if you use self-assist and carry your own bags that you can't get a porter and zip through the line...??? I paid $300 to move my flight back because I thought I wouldn't make a 10AM flight out. :( Now it sounds like I could have with this porter tip.

...Please tell me that if you use self-assist and carry your own bags that you can't get a porter and zip through the line...??? I paid $300 to move my flight back because I thought I wouldn't make a 10AM flight out. :( Now it sounds like I could have with this porter tip.

When we did self assist, we went past the warehouse with the luggage and directly to customs. I believe the porters were all in the warehouse with the luggage. :D

Anybody with more than 2 bags, including carryons, would be crazy not to use the porter. Getting off of the Liberty, we didn't have huge lines b/c we got the early debarkation b/c of an early flight and we were off with the vips. But still used a porter for our 4 bags.

Why does using the porter let you bypass the customs agents...sounds illegal to me..why not just pick up your own bags and bypass the agents..the porters are bypassing them because it is quicker and the more money they can make by carring more bags during that time frame.

Hey, I was on the Destiny on the Feb 18th sailing and as far as I could tell this wasn't the case. The porters were in line with the rest of us, haha. Trust me I know cause the one behind me kept bumping into the back of my legs. We didn't use a porter, thought we should get used to doing some things for ourselfs since the trip was almost over, haha. But from what I saw in San Juan the porters waited in the line with everyone else.

Ryan

Why does using the porter let you bypass the customs agents...sounds illegal to me..why not just pick up your own bags and bypass the agents..the porters are bypassing them because it is quicker and the more money they can make by carring more bags during that time frame.

You don't by pass the agents.....in New Orleans you go thru a separate line that is only for porters. The people that got their luggage and are hauling it away themselves wait in another line to go thru customs. We did this when we disembarked the Norwegian Sun 2/25/07. The porter brought our bags all the way to our vehicle in the parking garage (which is directly above the terminal). Well worth $20 tip (though I think he would have been happy with anything because he was so friendly and happy to help us). It was virtually no hassle to disembark and go thru customs. What a relief!

Kathy

post_new.gif Yesterday, 12:50 AM

smarks user_online.gif vbmenu_register("postmenu_9291018", true);

Cool Cruiser

icon1.gif

Hi, I'm confused about the porter. :rolleyes: I may be having a blonde moment, but it seems like on my other cruises I had to go through customs before ever getting to the warehouse where the luggage is. Am I wrong, and if so, can somebody straighten me out:D. Your way sounds a whole lot better. Thanks.

I have been only on one cruise and returned to port canavral and i did not get my luggage until after we went through the line at customs. used a porter to get to the truck in the parking deck.

Archived