Do you have a favorite luggage style....

cmpaula

Do you have a favorite luggage style, hard sided or soft sided, and what size is the best?

We have 2 hard sided wheeled suitcases that are on their "last leg" and I would love to know what kind those of you who do multiple cruises a year use. We tend to take one cruise a year and we are seasoned travelers having worked for the airlines forever. We have 2 teenagers so as a mom, I tend to pack more with them in mind than if it was just my husband and me.

Thanks in advance for any advice:)

We travel a lot. I had one of the big hardsided clamshell cases and didn't like it. It was heavy and awkward and when the frame torqued just slightly it wouldn't lock properly. I went to the Samsonite store and bought a hybrid case. It's a combination of the clamshell and softsided,with a hard plastic base. I like it a lot and it's lighter.

Viv

I don't buy expensive luggage anymore. It just gets beat to death. What I do consider mostly is the weight. It must be very lightweight now with all the restrictions - especially if going abroad. Travelsmith has some lightweight options. Just google luggage.

I will also never get basic black again for check-in bags. It's just too hard to find. They are coming out with some interesting colors now!! It makes might bright red look average!!

My Victorinox has been great, I've used it many times and no sign of wear and tear at all. We have a couple of pieces from Delsey, also working out fine. My newest piece is Travelpro Platinum series and I have to say, if I needed to replace any of the other size pieces I already have, I would go with the Travelpro.

I believe that you get what you pay for. If you buy cheap luggage, you get a few trips out of it before the zippers fail and the fabric rips.

If you keep your eye out for closeout colors or last years designs, you can save even more that the advertised "sale" prices. My Victorinox pieces were both purchased for less than half of the "sale" price.

Unfortunately, if a truck runs over your luggage, even the most expensive will be ruined :) .

Airlines are making so many changes regarding maximum luggage weights and the number of pieces you're allowed to check these days. There are some fantastic new lightweight suitcases available now. They're even making ballistic strength fabrics that can take the abuse of luggage handlers very well. I bought new luggage last fall and it was put to the test by the shuttle handlers for my first cruise. Since I was traveling solo (and of course overpacked :rolleyes: ) I was quite happy with my choice...saved me a lot of back pain!! lol

Go light and bright. Happy cruising.

we like the soft sided and must have good, sturdy wheels. Most of our pieces are Travelpro. We've been very happy with them and they tend to get a lot of abuse.

Our daughter took one bag that we use often on two teen aged school trips to Europe where the girls had to tote their own bags and it got flung around and sat on and everything else you could think of.

The zippers are great, still running smoothly. Doesn't look brand new, but looks like it has only been used once or twice.

We have always used Travelpro as flight crews and the wheeled 20" pullman I have has been fabulous. The hybrid that one of the responders suggested also looks great because it has the wheels that move 360 degrees. I wonder is that makes them easier to break or malfunction?

I get my family great deals on designer luggage at Marshall's and TJ Maxx. The last set I got, and that we have used for 4 years now, is really cool!:cool: It is a dark tan color with black, tiger-like stripes. Absolutely have never, ever seen anyone with luggage like ours. We never have to hassle trying to figure out what luggage is ours at the baggage pick up!

When these wear out I hope to find something as unusual and different as these. They sell pieces of Travel Pro at the above-mentioned stores. Maybe I'll try some of that next time.:D

I got my set at Marshalls, too. Four pieces, Tommy Hilfiger, navy with red stripe going down the front. Easy to recognize and (this is key) they can be latched together. I have two massive ones, one small one that I guess would just meet the size for a carry on, and a regular small carry on. The whole set cost under 250.00. I'm kicking myself for not getting the rolling duffel as well.

I have been unable to find a good deal on a rolling garment bag, though! I'm not paying $200 for one...

We have the soft sided Delsey brand that we bought at Hecht's back in 2005. I think they still have that brand at Macy's. Soft sided and it hooks together. Looks brand new and is bright blue so we can spot it a mile away.:D

We picked up our four pieces at the Samsonite outlet store and paid very little. So far they have held up extremely well. They are the hard sided with four independent wheels so you can push/pull them in all directions. our old pieces only moved one way.

I like the hard sides because I can't stand for long periods of time and it gives me something to sit down on while waiting for BART or a shuttle bus. We had a set of hard sides for over fifteen years before we finally had to retire them (due to abuse from the airlines). We love our new ones even more.

Good shopping and happy sails!

Charlie

Archived