Princess vs. RCCL

kruz gal

Hello all,

We have cruised RCCL 9 times, but are considering a Princess cruise in May. We have loved RCCL, but since we have no kids, we are hoping for a more quiet experience... more adults and fewer kids. Could anyone provide comparisons? We've always done 7-night Caribbean itineraries, and always in May. Also, any comparisons on the food? Seems that the quality of food on RCCL has declined a bit in recent years, but since the prices have remained really good, I suppose that is one way they might continue to make it an affordable bargain for us! Thanks,

Kruz Gal

Let me start with a disclaimer... Since you posted this question on the Princess board, please note that your replies will most likely be favorable to Princess. I would imagine that if you were to pose the same question on the RCCL board, you would get more favorable responses for them. That said...

DW and I have cruised with Princess 6 times (7th already booked) and with RCCL 2 times. The last time we cruised with RCCL was May, 2004 on the Explorer of the Seas. Our preference is still Princess and here's why:

We have had better service on Princess. RCCL wasn't bad, but slightly below that on Princess.

The food is slightly better on Princess

The entertainment is better on Princess. We found that there were more choices than on RCCL.

Admittedly, these are all very subjective items, but we have found that Princess is a better fit for us... Not a wild party ship, but not filled with a bunch of stiffs either. BTW... If you are considering another May cruise this year, please feel free to join us on the May 6th sailing on the Caribbean Princess. This sailing was a relatively late addition so there are good deals out there.

The cruise lines are similar; these are a few differences I have noticed:

Princess - Anytime and Traditional Dining

RCCL - only Traditional Dining

Princess - Fresh water pools

RCCL - Salt water pools

Princess - longer hours for buffet

RCCL - scheduled buffet hours

Princess - allowed to bring wine aboard

RCCL - no liquor allowed to be brought on board

Princess - less bingo/art sale etc announcements

RCCL - many of these type announcements

Princess - desserts are tastier in my opinion

RCCL - great cookies

Princess - Bath products from the Lotus Spa

RCCL - OV room only had a bar soap and liquid everything soap in shower

Princess - Refrigerator in all rooms

RCCL - No frig in our OV, frig in higher class cabins

Princess - Our head waiters were not very visible and treated the waiters poorly

RCCL - Our head waiter was very sociable, helpful and treated his waiters well. Our head waiter even took our order one evening and served us.

Princess overall in my opinion is a quieter experience. There is a lot to do on sea days in the way of of games/classes etc. RCCL is similar but has more active type things like the rock wall and muscle contests at the pool etc.

We loved both lines and would sale either in a minute. Have a wonderful cruise!!

Archived