***LIVE*** From the Carnival Freedom

blackegg

For those of you who were actually onboard or had access to the

ports, is Coke, Pepsi, 7up, etc accessible onshore for a reasonable

rate or would it be better to buy a soda card (fountain card???).

How much is a soda card these days??

Also, there were a few questions re wine being brought onboard.

When we cruised with Princess this past January, we were given

a book of most asked questions re cruising and wine was one of

them. Their policy is that you can bring on wine for use in your

own room or if you want to take it the dining room, there is a

corkage (sp) fee of $ l0-l5 /bottle. We had absolutely no

problem bringing on soda or water. Personally, I crave potato

chips, cheezies, etc. so when I saw that a large can or Pringles

was $4.50 onboard the ship, I learned to diet real quick.

Nancy

the last time i had a a coke on board it was poured from a hot can..now i'm a cokaholic, and i like my coke cold, so i bring it myself. i just pack a six pack in my bags.don't know whaat i'll do this time tho:o

Ok, so you have to get euros from your local back and take with you? I thought I saw in a past post that you could get your $ changed to Euros on the ship?

And the ATM's in Rome or near the port will give your money in Euros?

This is one I hadn't thought about yet.

I posted this somewhere else recently but maybe it help some of you that have money questions.

1. You only need or want to get Euro's from your bank if you want to have some pocket money when you arrive in Europe (which I recommend). The rate the bank will charge you will not be the best. We normally take $100-200 worth in Euro so we can pay for our private driver that takes us into Rome, buy a snack or lunch etc. without having to first find an ATM. It may take your bank a day or two so give them some notice.

2. Historically, the best exchange rate you will get will be by going to an ATM anywhere after arriving. Make SURE that (a) your bank knows you are traveling abroad (credit card companies also); (b) you have a FOUR digit PIN number as ATM's in Europe only take 4 digits and © that your daily ATM limit is sufficient to meet your needs.

3. The ATM's on the ship dispense American dollars.

4. The Information Desk on the ship will cash travelers checks or personal checks up to a certain amount. American Express cardholders can cash a personal check for a higher amount.

5. There is a currency exchange desk on the ship. It is not open all the time. The times will be posted in the Capers. The exchange rate that the ship will give you will not be as good as using an ATM in port.

6. Other than on the ship, travelers checks are pretty much worthless as no one will take them. Banks in Rome for instance, only let one person into the bank at a time. It could waste some time waiting to cash travelers checks.

7. American Express is pretty widely accepted in Europe (unlike in Mexico). We always carry both a VISA and AmEx.

8. Try not to come home with any Euro if possible. The rate that your bank will charge to exchange them back to dollars is high. Last time, I think we had about 10 Euro in our pocket and got dollars at the airport right before boarding to come home.

So basically, get a few Euro before you go, hit the ATM when you can and relax and have a good time! :)

Does anyone know how close the train is to the port at civitavecchia? And what the cost is to go into Rome?

Hi,

The train is not too far away. I believe there is a shuttle that takes you the 1km from the boat to the entrance of the port. Not sure what times the shuttle runs tho.

From there it's a 10 minute walk to the train station.

Tickets to Rome are 4.10 Euros each. :) It takes about an hour to get to Termini in Rome.

Cheers, Anne

I was on the 9 day inagural cruise and had a great time! We didn't go to as many ports as the 12 day obviously, but we hit Turkey, Greece, Croatia and Italy and every port took Euros. I got some kuna in Croatia from an ATM and used them, but every store there took euros, same in Turkey. I like to keep some foreign currency for souvenirs and had to ask in Turkey if I could get some of my change in Turkish Lira. They were happy to oblige, so to sum it up, I used euros everywhere!

Just a heads up, in port cities in Dubrovnik and Izmir, the public toilets are turkish (a hole in the ground), but if you spend a few euros and buy a coke or a local pastry in a cafe, you can use their more modern facilities. Well worth it for me.

As another posted, be sure to call your bank and/or credit card holder and let them know where you will be. I never had an issue with my bank card in any ATM anywhere.

I know you will all be fine in these countries, just have a sense of adventure, and use common sense, and you will all have as great a time as I did.

I would also highly suggest NOT missing Ephesus with a guide, my group had a private tour and learned a lot. Either private or ship tour, do not miss Ephesus....JMHO

PS, the whole surrendering passport thing was not even an issue! They took it from us after Athens and gave it back after Rhodes, (we may have had an opposite itinerary, Athens-Izmir-Rhodes), but I had it locked in my safe the whole time and never took it on a shore excursion even when I had it.

the last time i had a a coke on board it was poured from a hot can..now i'm a cokaholic, and i like my coke cold, so i bring it myself. i just pack a six pack in my bags.don't know whaat i'll do this time tho:o

You and me both, micro yaya! Although my choice is diet coke....I usually have brought a six-pack or even a 12-pack on board with me. But this time.....I don't know. For one thing, Carnival seems to be cracking down on bringing aboard beverages (other than one bottle of wine per adult), but mainly it may depend on how easy or difficult it is to find a place near our Civitavecchia hotel that sells it!

The webcams are working again!!! (Good thing, too, I was going through major withdrawals on that)

Looks like a lovely day in Civitavecchia!

Thanks to those people that have now disembarked the Freedom, that took the time to answer so many questions....and Bon Voyage to those embarking now!

You and me both, micro yaya! Although my choice is diet coke....I usually have brought a six-pack or even a 12-pack on board with me. But this time.....I don't know. For one thing, Carnival seems to be cracking down on bringing aboard beverages (other than one bottle of wine per adult), but mainly it may depend on how easy or difficult it is to find a place near our Civitavecchia hotel that sells it!

Do you think if you pack wine in your suit case they will allow you to bring it on board. And then maybe you can carry on another bottle per person.

Do you think if you pack wine in your suit case they will allow you to bring it on board. And then maybe you can carry on another bottle per person.
I'm actually not sure if they prefer you carry on the bottle or have it packed in your luggage, but from what I've heard, it will be limited to one bottle per adult.

I imagine much is left to the discretion of the people at any particular port.

We did the Carnival excursion of Ephesus & Terrace houses, and really enjoyed it. Walking through the terrace houses was the highlight of Ephesus for us, large parts of the houses have been restored and even just seeing the perserved mosaics on the walls and floors was incredbile. I think Ephesus is some ways is more impressive than Pompeii. Also, they keep the tours that go into the Terrace houses small - only 20 people, because they dont want large groups going through there, so thats an added benefit. It was nice having a smaller tour group, easier to hear the guide and follow along, etc

"What does everyone think, about possibly starting a dedicated excursion thread in this Freedom forum. I always found it helpful reading reviews of excursions, but there doesn't seem to be one, easy place to find them all."

I think that was an excellent suggestion. I know it would be very informative and I would appreciate it.

How do you pack wine in a suitcase. Aren't you afraid it would break?

Also, How many formal nights on a 12 day cruise?

Linda

I have trucked liquor all over the world/ Bringing back from other countries/ If you pack with all the clothes it should be fine. I have bubble wrapped mine for this trip since I am taking the opposite direction. Now that I say this hope my luck does not change.

We did the Carnival excursion of Ephesus & Terrace houses, and really enjoyed it. Walking through the terrace houses was the highlight of Ephesus for us, large parts of the houses have been restored and even just seeing the perserved mosaics on the walls and floors was incredbile. I think Ephesus is some ways is more impressive than Pompeii. Also, they keep the tours that go into the Terrace houses small - only 20 people, because they dont want large groups going through there, so thats an added benefit. It was nice having a smaller tour group, easier to hear the guide and follow along, etc

Did you go on a private tour or with Carnival. If you could email me sharon_sorlie@hotmail.com with any advise and reports for this particular tour. My DH really want to see Ephesus and Terrance House - but we dont like major crowds.

What does everyone think, about possibly starting a dedicated excursion thread in this Freedom forum. I always found it helpful reading reviews of excursions, but there doesn't seem to be one, easy place to find them all.

That is a great idea. I think that itwould be very helpful to have one thread to go to about excursions. I would read it everyday and then post my opinion after june6th sailing.

Kentucky cruisers

$5.50/per day per person, plus 15% gratuity, comes to, for our 12 day cruise about $75. The drinks are 1.75 per drink, plus 15% gratuity, so if you drink more than 2 1/2 drinks per day, the card is worth it. I think it's nice and convenient, and I like diet coke morning, noon and night :)

Is ice tea/water/etc. also considered "coke"? In other words, if I am a big ice tea drinker, would the coke card pay off?

Where do lattes, mochas, et al fit into the scheme of things?

Thanks for the info

sandy

ice tea, juices coffee, water, milk all part of the package. There are ice tea machines open 24 hrs a day. if you order cappacino and lattes with your dinner (if they have) there is no charge but going to the specialty coffee shop there is a fee. they often have afternoon tea as well.

ice tea, juices coffee, water, milk all part of the package. There are ice tea machines open 24 hrs a day. if you order cappacino and lattes with your dinner (if they have) there is no charge but going to the specialty coffee shop there is a fee. they often have afternoon tea as well.

Hello I thought that I was the only crazy perosn up at this hour of the morning. I am an oncology certified nurse and I work night shift from 7pm to 7am. This is my break time and I had a few minutes to check this site. My husband is a diet coke junkie so the coke card is well worth it for us. We have bouth one on each of our five cruises and after the first day we ahve gotten our monies worth. Have a good morning?

Kentucky cruisers

Archived