***LIVE*** From the Carnival Freedom

blackegg

I have trucked liquor all over the world/ Bringing back from other countries/ If you pack with all the clothes it should be fine. I have bubble wrapped mine for this trip since I am taking the opposite direction. Now that I say this hope my luck does not change.

Thanks. That is what we do also. I was hoping to pack a few bottles and still hope to carry one bottle each when we board. Do you think this will work?

I checked the web cams this morning and much to my surprise I saw what looked like a US Destroyer off of the Freedom's starboard bow. I believe that the ship is in Naples. Is there anyone on the Freedom who can confirm if that really is a US Navy destroyer. If it is the ship that I think it is, it is one of a class of ships that I helped design and build.

Richard

Just got in this am (2Am actually) and will post my review notes later, but wanted to catch up on this LIVE rollcall.

In Turkey, even though many of the websites and even the CD John Heald have said that they would take USD but not Euro--THIS IS NOT SO!!!

In Izmir the Taxi drivers wanted 90 Euro or Lira and would not take USD easily and we had left all our Euro on board based on what we had heard!!

Also at House of Virgin Mary it was 10.75 Turkish Lira p.p. or 5 euro and again a hassle finding someone to change USD for either one of those.

At Ephesus-this time it was 10.75 turkish lira p.p. only the entrance wouldn't take either USD or Euro. Our driver paid our entrance with the guarentee that we would stop at an ATM on the way back to the ship to pay in euro or Lira.

We got a tour guide at the entrance to Ephesus who agreed to 30 USD reluctantly and at the end tried to nogotiate for euro instead even though we did give him 45 USD for a very excellent tour for the 4 of us. He 's a retired History & English teacher who gives tours once in a while to pick up extra money.

I would not do any money exchange of the ship-the rate is terrible and there are always ATMs readily available at every port which give the option of english directions. Even at AnaCapri at the top of Capri near the chairlift we were able to find an ATM!:)

Just got in this am (2Am actually) and will post my review notes later, but wanted to catch up on this LIVE rollcall.

In Turkey, even though many of the websites and even the CD John Heald have said that they would take USD but not Euro--THIS IS NOT SO!!!

In Izmir the Taxi drivers wanted 90 Euro or Lira and would not take USD easily and we had left all our Euro on board based on what we had heard!!

Also at House of Virgin Mary it was 10.75 Turkish Lira p.p. or 5 euro and again a hassle finding someone to change USD for either one of those.

At Ephesus-this time it was 10.75 turkish lira p.p. only the entrance wouldn't take either USD or Euro. Our driver paid our entrance with the guarentee that we would stop at an ATM on the way back to the ship to pay in euro or Lira.

We got a tour guide at the entrance to Ephesus who agreed to 30 USD reluctantly and at the end tried to nogotiate for euro instead even though we did give him 45 USD for a very excellent tour for the 4 of us. He 's a retired History & English teacher who gives tours once in a while to pick up extra money.

I would not do any money exchange of the ship-the rate is terrible and there are always ATMs readily available at every port which give the option of english directions. Even at AnaCapri at the top of Capri near the chairlift we were able to find an ATM!:)

I hope you read this post - could we have the name of your guide and how did you contact him!

I know someone on the very first (9-day) cruise on the Freedom scanned the Carnival Capers for each day and posted them somewhere (where or where?)....I would be eternally grateful if someone that is doing the Mediterranean & Greek Isles itinerary could do that.

I'm particularly interested in the activities on the ship on the days at sea, and then that one day in Civitavecchia before debarkation.

I know someone on the Freedom scanned the Carnival Capers for each day and posted them somewhere (where or where?)....I would be eternally grateful if someone that is doing the Mediterranean & Greek Isles itinerary could do that.

I'm particularly interested in the activities on the ship on the days at sea, and then that one day in Civitavecchia before debarkation.

Hey Terri: Wasn't that www.zydecocruiser.com/free07/capers.htm but you're right, it was for that 1st cruise...I think:) Brenda

Thanks for the link Brenda, pretty interesting to view! Sondra

You're welcome. Have you checked out just the main website as well? Just the main part? All kinds of interesting stuff to read and some pics as well. Enjoy. B

As far as U.S. dollars - this is what I found out from Carnival.

In the port of Istanbul, at the recommended shops and the Grand Bazaar, shops will take USD and Euro.

In Izmir, taxi drivers and local shops will only take Euro and Turkish Lira.

I hope you read this post - could we have the name of your guide and how did you contact him!

Our guides name was Llamil, and he was right at the gate along with a couple of other guides at Ephesus. All official guides have a badge that they wear. Unfortunately he didn't have a card or any way of getting in touch with him, he just goes to the site when ships are in port and he needs a little cash.

As far as why many of us thought that USD would be accepted in Turkey, that was what the CD John Heald told us in his information talk about the excursions and also what had been mentioned on a few CC boards. I think that in the past all the information from those sources have always been golden. Things do change though so it's a safe bet to keep a little of each type of money on you anyway.

In the Grand Bazaar I think they would take any money from anywhere at most of the vendors. Just beware some of them are very aggressive!

I checked the web cams this morning and much to my surprise I saw what looked like a US Destroyer off of the Freedom's starboard bow. I believe that the ship is in Naples. Is there anyone on the Freedom who can confirm if that really is a US Navy destroyer. If it is the ship that I think it is, it is one of a class of ships that I helped design and build.

Richard

Hello Richard.

I was just reading the daily Blog from the Freedom's Cruise Director John Heald and in it he mentions the Navy Ship also in the port in Naples. I will give you the link to the Blog, it's very interesting and funny reading about the day's events aboard the Freedom and it makes mention of the Naval Ship in the March 27th post which should be the very first one when you click on the link. I've been following the blog and will be on the April 19th sailing, 3 weeks tomorrow. Yipee:D

Enjoy!

http://johnheald.wordpress.com/

Tara

Hello Richard.

I was just reading the daily Blog from the Freedom's Cruise Director John Heald and in it he mentions the Navy Ship also in the port in Naples. I will give you the link to the Blog, it's very interesting and funny reading about the day's events aboard the Freedom and it makes mention of the Naval Ship in the March 27th post which should be the very first one when you click on the link. I've been following the blog and will be on the April 19th sailing, 3 weeks tomorrow. Yipee:D

Enjoy!

http://johnheald.wordpress.com/

Tara

Tara,

Thanks so much for the link. I didn't even know thar John had a blog, but I should have guessed. Have a great cruise and save us something to eat.:D

Richard

Tara,

Thanks so much for the link. I didn't even know thar John had a blog, but I should have guessed. Have a great cruise and save us something to eat.:D

Richard

Hey Richard

Glad I could help you out with the blog link.

Thanks, I CAN promise you we will have a great cruise, BUT, I CAN'T promise to leave you something to eat:eek: haha

We will try and leave the ship in good shape for you and I hope you have a great cruise too. There are several couples in our group that are doing back to back cruises, maybe you'll meet some of them.

Tara

kNITWITS - were you on the 9 day or the 12 day trip? If you did the 12 day how did they do the debarkation? What time were your off the ship and how early did they start? Thanks for your help.:)

We were on the 12 day and just got home.

Debarkation was pretty smooth actually. Many passengers debarked(?) the first day in port (Sunday). The colored tags were left in our room Friday night so I don't know if there were special instructions for those who were leaving on Sunday instead of Monday.

we were told that self-assist could exit any time as the gangway was down all night. They started calling tags about 6:30AM if I remember right. We had a driver waiting for us at 8 and we took all our own luggage off and just went right out the gangplank and out to the right through the luggage tent where all the marked luggage was piled according to colored tags. People seemed to be finding their luggage easily when we went through. There wasn't much of a wait to get out to where the drivers and shuttles were.

Hi

We just returned from the March 14th cruise. We took a taxi from the ship to the train station and then the train to Florence. Buy a return ticket in Livorno and then you just have to get on the train in Florence . The taxi was 20 Euros and the return ticket 12 Euros. You can save the taxi fare by taking the shuttle to down town Livorno and then either walking or taking a bus to the train station. The train begins in Livorno and ends in Florence. It takes about 1 1/2 hours so make sure you get a return schedule. We took the hop on hop off bus in Florence . It stops just beside the train station. There is tourist info booth across the street from the train station where you can get an excellent map of Florence. look for the church acroos the street The info booth is just off of the corner

Does anyone know if there are similar 'hop on hop off' buses in Rome?

We're spending a couple of days there post-cruise, and I don't know if we'll be walking most of the time or taxis or what.

In London, you can always buy a pass that gives you unlimited use of the Tube and buses for a specified period (say 2 days or 3 days or something). Is there something similar offered in Rome?

Does anyone know if there are similar 'hop on hop off' buses in Rome?

Yes there is. It's the 110 open route.

http://www.trambusopen.com/index.cfm?ID=110

The tround trip takes 2 hours, but if you hop on and off it could take all day!!

13 Euros for the whole day.

Cheers, Anne

www.annabella.net

Archived