***LIVE*** From the Carnival Freedom

blackegg

We also took the Rome hop on hop off. When you exit the main train station look straight ahead . The buses are red double deckers and easy to spot. The complete route takes 2 hours. Example of stops we got off at stop 6 short walk to Navarona square had lunch at outdoor cafe then short walk to the Pantheon followed by short walk to Trevi fountain got back on at stop 10 just north of the fountain. The other stops can bre planned in a similar way. Saves a lot of walking

Debarkation was pretty smooth ..we were told that self-assist could exit any time as the gangway was down all night. They started calling tags about 6:30AM if I remember right. We had a driver waiting for us at 8 and we took all our own luggage off and just went right out the gangplank and out to the right through the luggage tent where all the marked luggage was piled according to colored tags. People seemed to be finding their luggage easily when we went through. There wasn't much of a wait to get out to where the drivers and shuttles were.

I wasn't aware that you could take your own luggage off. Thanks for the info! Was it quite easy or were there stairs etc to negotiate? We have a driver booked for 9:30, from what I've read now I'm thinking that may be a little late...were most of the passengers gone early?

Hi

We just returned from the March 14th cruise. We took a taxi from the ship to the train station and then the train to Florence. Buy a return ticket in Livorno and then you just have to get on the train in Florence . The taxi was 20 Euros and the return ticket 12 Euros. You can save the taxi fare by taking the shuttle to down town Livorno and then either walking or taking a bus to the train station. The train begins in Livorno and ends in Florence. It takes about 1 1/2 hours so make sure you get a return schedule. We took the hop on hop off bus in Florence . It stops just beside the train station. There is tourist info booth across the street from the train station where you can get an excellent map of Florence. look for the church acroos the street The info booth is just off of the corner

Chopper, was there a charge for the Shuttle into Livorno?

I wasn't aware that you could take your own luggage off. Thanks for the info! Was it quite easy or were there stairs etc to negotiate? We have a driver booked for 9:30, from what I've read now I'm thinking that may be a little late...were most of the passengers gone early?

We did our own self assist disembark in Houston. Took the elevators to the level we needed very easily. We were able to leave the ship as early as 6 AM.

We will probably take our time disembarking on the Rome to Miami cruise as our flight doesn't leave till 1:45pm.

Thanks to everyone on the recent cruises for your info and advice; it is just invaluable for those of us that have our turn coming up!

Just wondered what people did in Katakolon? I'd be keen to hear from people who just had a wander around and didn't do Olympia. I have heard there are nice restaurants and shops near the water..was there enough to do to fill in a few hours?

Thanks guys - would appreciate your thoughts.

Cheers

Amanda

Knitwits - thank you so much for all the valuable information - I feel better now that you can basically get off when you want if your doing the self-disembarkation, we have a 5:45 a.m. pickup so I don't think its going to be a problem. How long did it take you to get to the airport?

K&B-07 - yes, you can take your own luggage off (self-disembarkartion) you can use the elevators and its not that bad over in Europe because its not that far to walk, once you get off the ship there's a tent where all the luggage is kept (for people who leave their luggage out the night before and don't want to carry it off) and then to the left are all the shuttles, very easy, we did it last year with no problem.

Does anyone know if there are similar 'hop on hop off' buses in Rome?

We're spending a couple of days there post-cruise, and I don't know if we'll be walking most of the time or taxis or what.

In London, you can always buy a pass that gives you unlimited use of the Tube and buses for a specified period (say 2 days or 3 days or something). Is there something similar offered in Rome?

Terri, i've found 3 options:

http://www.trambusopen.com/index.cfm?id=home

http://www.greenlinetours.com/index.php?option=com_gestione_tour&id=78&check_categorie=1&Itemid=40&type_menu=0&lang=en&id_citta=4 (click on cheap bus tour on the right - literal, aren't they!)

http://www.viator.com/tours/Rome/Rome-Open-Top-Double-Decker-Bus-Hop-On-Hop-Off-Tour/d511-3523ROMOPEN

The only negative things i've read is that folks stay ON the bus and don't get off, and they are full. Also, they aren't always as 'regular' as they say - and folks waited awhile for them (most reviews i've read are on tripadvisor.com)

Hope this helps.

Can anyone who has just been on the Freedom tell us how the safes work--do you need a magnetized strip on a card or does it operate on a number lock?

Thanks, I am enjoying this thread!

You use a card with a magnetized strip. Do not use a credit card though. We used our health card. We needed it for picture I.D anyway so it served two purposes. Enjoy. It was an amazing trip.

Knitwits - thank you so much for all the valuable information - I feel better now that you can basically get off when you want if your doing the self-disembarkation, we have a 5:45 a.m. pickup so I don't think its going to be a problem. How long did it take you to get to the airport?

K&B-07 - yes, you can take your own luggage off (self-disembarkartion) you can use the elevators and its not that bad over in Europe because its not that far to walk, once you get off the ship there's a tent where all the luggage is kept (for people who leave their luggage out the night before and don't want to carry it off) and then to the left are all the shuttles, very easy, we did it last year with no problem.

It took our driver about 45 minutes, the traffic was pretty light for a Monday morning according to the shuttle driver. He let us off at the door of Terminal B where all international flights take off from.

for Teri10

We just were in Rome and tried using the hop on hop off bus and it's true especially at the Rome Termini stop near the train station that people stay on board and it may be difficult to get on. We didn't seem to have any problem with the other stops when we needed to get back on as long as we didn't care if we were up top or inside.

Also there are two different companies-green and red. The routes seem to be the same and the red is 3 euro cheaper. Couldn't see any reason for it and the gals at the counter said there wasn't any difference so we went with the red and didn't have any problems.

I think that a lot of people are used to traveling in countries that the dollar is more valued that it is against the Euro. Would never leave with out the ATM card makes life easier.

Beware of the ATM's...I was on the 3/14 sailing of the Freedom and had to go to 3 different ATM's before I found one that would accept my PIN number. Before I left the Rome airport I tried the ATM there and got a message saying "invalid PIN #...I knew that I was putting in the correct 4 digit PIN #...after a few attempts I gave up because I did not want the machine to eat my card...I tried another ATM and the same story. I finally called Bank of America and they said that there was nothing wrong with my card and they could not even see where I had attempted to use the card. I finally found an ATM while on my Amalfi tour that actually accepted the card and dispensed Euros...there were 2 ATM's located in the same square area and one said invalid PIN number and the other finally worked for me!!! The ATM's on the ship dispensed USD with no problem for me, but there is a $5.50 fee in addition to your own bank's fee. I did not exchange USD for Euros on the ship because the rate was so bad. I had purchased $250 Euros before leaving the states at $1.31 I believe and the ship was charging $1.42 or higher...

for Teri10

We just were in Rome and tried using the hop on hop off bus and it's true especially at the Rome Termini stop near the train station that people stay on board and it may be difficult to get on. We didn't seem to have any problem with the other stops when we needed to get back on as long as we didn't care if we were up top or inside.

Also there are two different companies-green and red. The routes seem to be the same and the red is 3 euro cheaper. Couldn't see any reason for it and the gals at the counter said there wasn't any difference so we went with the red and didn't have any problems.

Are you allowed to stand (you know, hanging onto poles or straps) while the bus is moving if there are no available seats? I've crunched onto some pretty crowded double-decker buses in London before! *L*

I wonder if the green company might not be as crowded, since it is a little bit more expensive.....

Thanks to everyone on the recent cruises for your info and advice; it is just invaluable for those of us that have our turn coming up!

Just wondered what people did in Katakolon? I'd be keen to hear from people who just had a wander around and didn't do Olympia. I have heard there are nice restaurants and shops near the water..was there enough to do to fill in a few hours?

Thanks guys - would appreciate your thoughts.

Cheers

Amanda

I'm hoping someone will be able to answer this, too!!

Why do you NOT want to use a credit card with magnetized strip for your room safe?

Our state-issued driver's licenses have magnetized strips on them....would it be a good or bad idea to use it?

I was told it was a bad idea. I would go with a AAA card if I were you,

I think it would be a bad idea as you would be carrying it with you on and off the ship, as you would not want to leave it in your room. Just a tip I picked up. Does this make sense?

Val.

I think it would be a bad idea as you would be carrying it with you on and off the ship, as you would not want to leave it in your room. Just a tip I picked up. Does this make sense?

Val.

I used my driver's license with the safe; one time I made a mistaked and accidentally used my sign and sail card, but it was not deactivated...

When we were there in 2000, we found plenty to do without leaving Katakolon. We ate at one of the many outdoor restaurants and shopped in a few of the stores.

Marilynn

Thanks Marilynn...that sounds like what we'll do I think. Be nice to chill out with a wine or two after all the hectic shore excursions we have planned!:p

Appreciate your help.

Cheers

Amanda

Beware of the ATM's...I was on the 3/14 sailing of the Freedom and had to go to 3 different ATM's before I found one that would accept my PIN number. Before I left the Rome airport I tried the ATM there and got a message saying "invalid PIN #...I knew that I was putting in the correct 4 digit PIN #...after a few attempts I gave up because I did not want the machine to eat my card...I tried another ATM and the same story. I finally called Bank of America and they said that there was nothing wrong with my card and they could not even see where I had attempted to use the card. I finally found an ATM while on my Amalfi tour that actually accepted the card and dispensed Euros...there were 2 ATM's located in the same square area and one said invalid PIN number and the other finally worked for me!!! The ATM's on the ship dispensed USD with no problem for me, but there is a $5.50 fee in addition to your own bank's fee. I did not exchange USD for Euros on the ship because the rate was so bad. I had purchased $250 Euros before leaving the states at $1.31 I believe and the ship was charging $1.42 or higher...

Hi Linda8892

This is a bit of a worry that so many ATM's didn't work. Did you ever work out what the problem was?

Perhaps they have a different number of digits in their PIN numbers in Europe?

Did anyone else have this problem? Would appreciate your thoughts - we had planned to use ATM's but may need to consider other options if there are going to be dramas with them everywhere.

Cheers

Amanda

Val.

gosh you guys............here i am worrying about money exchanges, our bank charges$1.40 right now for euros, and you guys are worring about the safe... we have been on 20 cruises and we just swip a credit card to close the safe. never had any problems, never had the card demagnatize,and never had anything missing from our room wether it was in the safe or not. don't sweat the small stuff not like me:D

My husband and I are hoping to go on this cruise in September 08. I love planning vacations so I am starting now. Your posts have been so fun to read!

I have used ATMs in Amsterdam and Spain without any problems. One thing I don't like is that my card only lets me get out $300 at a time, which can be a pain. I am somewhat concerned about the posts of other ppls cards not working, especially since we only have one ATM card from one bank.

As for the safes in the room-. We accidentally deactivated our sail & sign card, but had it fixed at the information desk. It pays to read the sign that says not to do that! :rolleyes:

finally made it home! I'll answer some of the questions that had been left open, I'm working on a very long and detailed review that I'll post in a few days and let you know where the link to it is.

For the fridge in the room- we did have a locked cabinet, I just never asked what was in it. Suppose that was a fridge, sorry!

In Turkey, my DH got 20TL and that was more than enough. He just bought a cheap trinket with some EU and asked the vendor for change back in Lira. No problem! We never had issues with any ATM's in any ports and never had trouble finding an ATM in any of the countries we were in. (Goes to show that everyone's experience is different!) In Turkey, they are so happy to make money, most don't care what currency its in and they usually offer 'Do you want a price in USD or Euro?' You can get EU on the ship, the ATM only dispenses USD, and the exchange rate for EU is not worth it! You can find currency exchange in airports along the way which have a better rate than they ship if you want to do that as well. I wouldn't worry about finding currency, really more people take CC than have the signs posted or there is always and ATM nearby. We left with no foreign currency and never had issues.

The fountain card on this voyage was $49 (plus 15% gratuity). Which means you would have to drink more than 4 sodas a day to come out on top (even is about 4 sodas a day). We bought it as my husband drinks a lot of soda. Didn't keep count of how many he drank, but I think it was worth it.

Breakdown of formal wear the first night was about 10% in tux/80% in coat and tie/10% pants and tie. For Ladies was about 30% in nice dressy pants/40% in knee length dresses/ 30% in long dresses. For the second formal night it was dramatically different and looked like everyone was going to church.

As for packing wine, LOL, my DH bought 7 bottles total and wrapped them in his jeans. We then put all 7 bottles and jeans into a 19" carryon which weighed a whopping 40 lbs! We have returned with nothing broken.

What we found to do in Katakalon was leisurely shopping and lunch at a cute fish restaurant. There were a few people that went on to Olympia and some enjoyed it, but most of what I heard was that after seeing the Parthenon and Ephesus, Olympia didn't come close to comparing as there isn't much left. So that choice is up to you.

I didn't look for the Amalfi coast from my balcony, I will be honest. I would imagine, though that unless you had binoculars you wouldn't be able to see it, but I'm sorry I didn't think of looking.

As for debarkation, I'll put all the details in my later message, but my DH and I took our own luggage off when we were ready and that was that. Debarkation began at 6am and they announced in the room, so it woke us up! (We're not morning people!)

As for the information John Heald gave out, for all the 'mandatory meetings,' he gave worst possible scenarios and occasionally slightly(?) incorrect information b/c his job is a salesperson! He wants to scare you into buying his tours! It was surprising some of the things he said, I'll admit, but you have to be confident that you can do it on your own.

I did keep all the capers for the 12 day voyage and will type out the schedule they gave along with the sales for the shops and things like that. Sorry to keep you all hanging on!

Archived