Fantasy Only Questions ...

canner2u

Maybe I'll let you come in to visit.

Oh, no, I might fall off of that balcony and end up on the news! :eek: ;) Just kidding.... I actually regret losing my balcony...but at least we have 2 OV's to share with the kiddos! No cooking...no cleaning....and NO FARM work for 5 whole days and nights, I'll sleep in a broom closet, just get me on that ship! :D

deb79ob:

Let's see, after debark is over, I go to lunch on the ship and then about 11:00 I work in the VIP Lounge until both of the ladies in there have had their lunch. Then I might be working General Check-in, position #4 OR I could be at #1 (non-US/Special Assist) OR I could be doing special group check-in. If one of the regulars doesn't show up then I could be in the VIP Lounge all day.:confused: They just use and abuse me all the time. ;)

Just look for me. I will be wearing a red shirt. Wait a minute we ALL wear red shirts. Ok, look for a grey haired man wearing a red shirt. Nope that will not work either. All the men, but two, have grey hair. Listen for me, I talk loud. Oh, heck -- just ask anybody "where is Robert?" Maybe they know better than I do where to find me. :p

deb79ob:

Let's see, after debark is over, I go to lunch on the ship and then about 11:00 I work in the VIP Lounge until both of the ladies in there have had their lunch. Then I might be working General Check-in, position #4 OR I could be at #1 (non-US/Special Assist) OR I could be doing special group check-in. If one of the regulars doesn't show up then I could be in the VIP Lounge all day.:confused: They just use and abuse me all the time. ;)

Just look for me. I will be wearing a red shirt. Wait a minute we ALL wear red shirts. Ok, look for a grey haired man wearing a red shirt. Nope that will not work either. All the men, but two, have grey hair. Listen for me, I talk loud. Oh, heck -- just ask anybody "where is Robert?" Maybe they know better than I do where to find me. :p

I have a feeling it won't be hard to figure out which one is you.:o

Rob-will you be working on the NYE cruise (Dec 29th)? Last time I was there in April you had just left to go on a leg of the World Cruise I believe. The nice ladies in VIP took care of me but it just was not the same.

I may see you before then. We are leaving Sunday for a land based vacation to Nassau but I feel the cruise urge coming on so I may see you last part of Oct of first part of Nov.

Don't look for me from 27 Oct to 11 Nov. I will be on the Carnival FREEDOM. 14 days ROME to Miami - Transatlantic. Got to add to the Carnival bottom line so they can pay me more to work check-in. :p

Don't look for me from 27 Oct to 11 Nov. I will be on the Carnival FREEDOM. 14 days ROME to Miami - Transatlantic. Got to add to the Carnival bottom line so they can pay me more to work check-in. :p

Are you avoiding me? I was looking at Nov 3rd-but I am sure you would rather be on the Freedom than checking me in. Hope you have a wonderful TranAtlantic cruise. We have 18 months (or less) till we sell our business and retire and I am looking forward to a transatlantic, Panama Canal and Australian cruises. We did an 11 day (14 days total) cruise to Hawaii a few years ago and i came back to paperwork he**. I swore then I would never be gone that long again until I was retired.

deb79ob:

Robert, I hope we get to meet you Saturday! :)

Lori

Nicole (AKA Nicky) is the karaoke host. She is so sweet. She is on time and works hard to make your experience the best. She handles drunks really well to. Nice, but direct!! The karaoke machine does not have pitch control and won't for a long time. When they bought the new units in January, they bought DVD players (not karaoke machines) so these units have no pitch control and Nicky has been told to just "live with it". That is not a problem for most singers. As everyone knows it was a huge problem for me, because I have to have the songs I sing in a particular key. So I bring my own custom cdgs. Another word of warning, there are no monitors. The speakers are placed far in front, so you really have to listen to yourself. Nicky is doing the best she can with the system she has....still fun!!!

Milby is in the piano bar now. (Mikael has moved on to the Celebration, I think). He is an older gentleman. Very nice. He will try anything. He had a good crowd every time I was able to be there. Again, there are some speaker issues in the piano bar that need to be addressed. He knows all the regular songs.

The best thing about Big Tex is that his staff LOVE HIM!! So they work really hard for him. He is not as visual as other CDs we have had...but he is the nicest guy you will ever want to meet. By the time this contract is up, he will have been on the ship over a year with only 1 month off. Personally, I don't see how he does it. He is very detail oriented.

They did have the "old fashion" Talent Show. They met at 11AM in the Universe Lounge the day we docked in Costa Maya (we were not docking until noon).

We had a great time. I sung my head off in karaoke, because there were not a lot of singers...but there were a lot of watchers. I got several people up there with me for "back up" etc (thanks Sally and Debbie). That was the most fun.

Thanks...I will look for Nicky first thing when I get on. I LIVE for Karoke on ship and live in Karaoke when ever it is open. I love to sing, but also love to sit back and encourage others. I do a lot of Frank Sinatra stuff, and other crooners, so I have sung "My Way" with orchestra on every cruise I have been on, except my first, and that was because little Toddy Whitmire is not a fan of the talent show and did not even put mention of it in the capers.

The problems you mentioned are nothing compared to the nightmare of Karaoke on the NCL Sun. They had a different host every time we had Karaoke. They held it in three different places. They did have audo monitors, but did not have VIDEO monitors, so you sang with the words BEHIND you. Their equipment was bad and very little choices. So, I also normally bring my own CDG's but unfortunatley they were lost last year, so I need to order new ones.

After Karaoke, I love to sit in the Piano bar, and often sing with the piano player as well. Unfortnately, I have asthma, so sometimes the smoke gets to me and I can not stay long.

I have sung with talent shows and also the Legends show on the Glory. On NCS they literally had a talent show that was done by try outs. The winner (juddges were the perfomers) had ther performance submitted to NCL, and one winner was slected every 6 months from the entire fleet to win a cruise, and the opportunity to perform. I thought that was pretty neat.

We had Bit Tex on the Celebration while he was subbing for Risa for a couple of months. I found him a bit cold and distant. He did not even come to meet the performers at the talent show and only introduced us. (When we had cruised three months before, Risa had come and met us, bought us all a drink, and talked and joked with us, so she felt she knew us before putting us on the stage.)

I hope this experience will be better.

Sounds like you would be interested in a Karaoke Cruise. I would love to get one together. Maybe the Fantasy would be a great place to host it.

Sounds like you would be interested in a Karaoke Cruise. I would love to get one together. Maybe the Fantasy would be a great place to host it.

This would be too fun for words! DH and I love the karaoke! I can't sing well (DH can), but that never stops me from singing my heart out and clapping for the other singers, too! Plan it, and if we can swing it, we'll be there!

Is there smoking allowed in the karaoke area on the Fantasy? If so, are there at least non-smoking tables or an area?

Please forgive me if this has been asked before...I haven't had time to read this entire thread! But I had a question for Robert. Or anyone who can answer!

We are supposed to be going on Fantasy doing back to back sailings the 17th and the 22nd. Do you (or does anyone else here) know how they handle all the stuff you have to do to begin the second cruise for people who were already on the sailing that is ending? Does that question even make sense?? LOL I am just trying to figure out what to expect to have to do the day we arrive (the first time) in New Orleans with regard to getting the new S&S cards and all that good stuff at the port to transition to the second sailing.

Thanks in advance!

Off topic...but ...

Did you ever get a NCL Sun minature ship?

I still want to get one, since they did not have them when I cruised.

Not yet, I did find out they do have them in stock now but can not sell it to me because of the duty-free laws. So I am going back on the Sun in February just to get my model ship. (Actually it was a cruise price I could not refuse).

Do you want me to pick you one up?

Dave

Please forgive me if this has been asked before...I haven't had time to read this entire thread! But I had a question for Robert. Or anyone who can answer!

We are supposed to be going on Fantasy doing back to back sailings the 17th and the 22nd. Do you (or does anyone else here) know how they handle all the stuff you have to do to begin the second cruise for people who were already on the sailing that is ending? Does that question even make sense?? LOL I am just trying to figure out what to expect to have to do the day we arrive (the first time) in New Orleans with regard to getting the new S&S cards and all that good stuff at the port to transition to the second sailing.

Thanks in advance!

If you are not changing cabins, you leave your luggage in the room. You do have to exit the ship in order to get new S&S cards.

Dave

This would be too fun for words! DH and I love the karaoke! I can't sing well (DH can), but that never stops me from singing my heart out and clapping for the other singers, too! Plan it, and if we can swing it, we'll be there!

Is there smoking allowed in the karaoke area on the Fantasy? If so, are there at least non-smoking tables or an area?

Karaoke is in The Forum lLounge and it is nonsmoking. There is a smoking area available just outside the door. If you don't want to walk through smoke just go to the right (like you are headed to Camp Carnival) and go through the double doors to your left.

Thanks...I will look for Nicky first thing when I get on. I LIVE for Karoke on ship and live in Karaoke when ever it is open. I love to sing, but also love to sit back and encourage others. I do a lot of Frank Sinatra stuff, and other crooners, so I have sung "My Way" with orchestra on every cruise I have been on, except my first, and that was because little Toddy Whitmire is not a fan of the talent show and did not even put mention of it in the capers.

The problems you mentioned are nothing compared to the nightmare of Karaoke on the NCL Sun. They had a different host every time we had Karaoke. They held it in three different places. They did have audo monitors, but did not have VIDEO monitors, so you sang with the words BEHIND you. Their equipment was bad and very little choices. So, I also normally bring my own CDG's but unfortunatley they were lost last year, so I need to order new ones.

After Karaoke, I love to sit in the Piano bar, and often sing with the piano player as well. Unfortnately, I have asthma, so sometimes the smoke gets to me and I can not stay long.

I have sung with talent shows and also the Legends show on the Glory. On NCS they literally had a talent show that was done by try outs. The winner (juddges were the perfomers) had ther performance submitted to NCL, and one winner was slected every 6 months from the entire fleet to win a cruise, and the opportunity to perform. I thought that was pretty neat.

We had Bit Tex on the Celebration while he was subbing for Risa for a couple of months. I found him a bit cold and distant. He did not even come to meet the performers at the talent show and only introduced us. (When we had cruised three months before, Risa had come and met us, bought us all a drink, and talked and joked with us, so she felt she knew us before putting us on the stage.)

I hope this experience will be better.

I am with you on karaoke. It is one of the main reasons I cruise. I love to sing but there is not anywhere in our area that is safe (much less smokefree). We do drive about 30 - 45 minutes occasionally to two spots but both are very smoky.

I would LOVE a karaoke cruise.

I know what you mean about Risa. We have sailed with her before and she is excellent.

If you get the chance to get to talk Hennie "Papa Smurf" tell him that DJ said hi. He was wonderful to our son. I can't sing his praises loud enough.

Hennie is an absolute delight. I would cruise on the his ship just to visit with him again!!

Sorry to hear about your CDGs. That is an investment!!! I keep my masters locked in the fireproof safe.

Have a great cruise!!!

If you are not changing cabins, you leave your luggage in the room. You do have to exit the ship in order to get new S&S cards.

Dave

No we don't have to change cabins, but I was specifically wondering what it all entails, like is it early or what do we do while everyone else is getting off and that kind of thing. From what I've read the procedure varies from port to port, so I haven't been able to get any real information. Somewhere else I was told to go to the Pursar's desk to let them know, but I was hoping for something a little more specific. I figured we'd have to get off at some point before the second sailing started. LOL

I have a general question, not only relating to the Fantasy but I feel that there are so many knowledgeable people in this thread. Anyways, does anyone know when passports will be required? I read somewhere January 1st but then Carnival told me not until Summer 08. Just wondering what everyone else has heard.

Thanks, Rodeomom......Looking forward to it. :)

We leave on the Fantasy Saturday and it is driving me CRAZY not to know where we are going.:eek: I am thinking Calica, I checked and there are no ships scheduled there next Monday the 27th (the day we were supposed to be in Costa Maya)....so that is where I would bet on us being switched to after reading everything that I have read today. I just wished they would hurry up and make the call and let us know....I intend to write a review when I get back...and maybe I will be of some help to someone else.

In New Orleans you must get off the ship during "self assist" and processs through customs and imigration. You do NOT have to bring your luggage with you. Leave everything in your cabin IF you are going to have the same cabin on the second voyage. During your first voyage ASK the for VIP check-in for the second voyage? It doesn't hurt to "ask". Spend the day in New Orleans. The Riverwalk is only a few steps from the terminal. Return after lunch and check-in for your second cruise. Your first Sign & Sail account will have been terminated and you must establish a second one. Lines can get long after 1:00PM. Of course if you are VIP -- NO PROBLEM. ;)

The Riverwalk is only a few steps from the terminal. Return after lunch and check-in for your second cruise. Your first Sign & Sail account will have been terminated and you must establish a second one. Lines can get long after 1:00PM. Of course if you are VIP -- NO PROBLEM. ;)

Great idea! If you're not from New Orleans, disembark with everyone else and hit the Riverwalk, or go to the Aquarium of the Americas (go all the way through to the end of the Riverwalk and when you exit, just keep walking and you'll hit the aquarium. You can also take the riverfront streetcar down into the French Quarter and visit the French Market and Cafe du Monde. If you enjoy gambling, Harrah's is also within walking distance of the terminal.

There are many cruise terminals that are sort of "in the middle of nowhere" - New Orleans' terminal is NOT one of them! There's so much to see and do within easy walking distance of the cruise terminal.

According to another post, Fantasy this weekend will be heading to Progreso and Cozumel. Not sure if that will be the "regular" stop, but that's where the next cruise is headed. So much for my theory about Calica!!!

You and me both, I thought for certain Calica.....what is there to do in Progresso????

Archived