Fantasy Only Questions ...

canner2u

I was really excited to hear that Fantasy has a deli, but now it seems I misunderstood and it's a sandwich bar? Do they serve good deli sandwiches? I'm throwing my low-carb eating out the window that week & I sure love a good corned beef or pastrami on rye!:D

I have a few questions about Cat 12 suites on the Fantasy and could use a little guidance. Trying arrange a girls' only cruise for my mom's birthday next year.

Is there room for 4 adult women in a cat 12 suite without it being too close for comfort?

If so, what are the sleeping arrangements? 2 twins and the sofa double and is that the only option?

There are actually 8 of us going and if we did 2 suites would we be able to have one big balcony if the suites were side by side?

Is it better space wise to book two cat 12 suites or four OV rooms?

Thanks in advance,

Anna

We had 5 women in a cat 12 suite and had plenty of room, for the most part. Having the balcony helps because some can hang out there while the others are "getting ready". As far as sleeping arrangements, we used the double sofa and also had a roll-away, which the steward folded up and put away during the day. I will say that 4 of the girls were 20-somethings who really weren't picky about their beds, so I'm not sure about the comfort level of the sofa bed and rollaway. Myself (being 40+) had one of the twins and it was heavenly comfort.

Haven't had an OV on the Fantasy so I can't address that.

Girls' cruises are sooo much fun! You'll have a blast!

Rowan555,

We're thinking about going through the hole in the fence...I've even looked at the t-shirt...but we're not yet decided about it. We may just go to Majahual & chill. Are you planning to contact the owner?

Will you be on the 9-8 sailing as well? I've contacted the owner - he said the bar and kitchen will be open the day we're in Costa Maya. I told him we'd be there! If you're going to be on the same cruise as us, let me know - perhaps we can arrange to head out together. Safety in numbers and all that ;)

We went through the "Hole in the Fence" last November when we were there. Had a great time. I understand from the Boards that that Hole has been closed; however, there is supposed to be another one open. Food was good there. Very authentic. The Captain of the ship was even there eating lunch. However, I know he didn't come through the fence. There were a few waiters from the ship that came through with us. We will be on the 10/29 Fantasy cruise out of NOLA this year. Not sure what we will be doing in Costa Maya this time. Thought about an all-inclusive through Island Marketing. In Cozumel we thought about going to Coconuts Bar and Grill on the bluff for lunch. Supposed to be a great view from up there.

SHOOSHOO

We had 5 women in a cat 12 suite and had plenty of room, for the most part. Having the balcony helps because some can hang out there while the others are "getting ready". As far as sleeping arrangements, we used the double sofa and also had a roll-away, which the steward folded up and put away during the day. I will say that 4 of the girls were 20-somethings who really weren't picky about their beds, so I'm not sure about the comfort level of the sofa bed and rollaway. Myself (being 40+) had one of the twins and it was heavenly comfort.

Haven't had an OV on the Fantasy so I can't address that.

Girls' cruises are sooo much fun! You'll have a blast!

Thank you! That helps a lot. I'm in my 30s and can pretty much sleep anywhere. Judging from your post everything sounds like the suite is the way to go. I just know I want the *balcony*!!!

Thanks for the info.

Rowan555,

We're thinking about going through the hole in the fence...I've even looked at the t-shirt...but we're not yet decided about it. We may just go to Majahual & chill. Are you planning to contact the owner?

I just emailed Chac-Chi about what a taxi would cost from the port and this was the email I received...

----------------

Hi

You will have to bargain with the taxi driver it is difficult that they are willing to take you but you can try.

Joaquin R.

----------------

Looks like we might become "hole in the fence" members on Monday as well???

BTW, there is an excellent hand drawn map.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v348/jmiller981/Chac-ChiMap.jpg

To make it larger...just click on the map.

Looks like we might become "hole in the fence" members on Monday as well???

I can't wait to hear all about your cruise and your adventures in Costa Maya. DH is very apprehensive about the hole in the fence, but we've done the Cat's Meow twice, and I'm ready for something a little more interesting ;)

I was really excited to hear that Fantasy has a deli, but now it seems I misunderstood and it's a sandwich bar? Do they serve good deli sandwiches? I'm throwing my low-carb eating out the window that week & I sure love a good corned beef or pastrami on rye!:D

In the Windows on the Sea restaurant, at the very aft of the ship is a deli. Carnival talks a lot about having the "best pizza at sea" (and most of the time it's good), but the best reuben sandwiches you will ever have will be prepared for you at the deli. While it doesn't look like your neighborhood deli, the do make the sandwiches fresh for you. You will enjoy the deli sandwiches.

Juls65

I think we made contact on another thread. We are also doing the B2B and we had the exact same concerns. We do have the same cabin and what was already said is what was told to us. We do not need to pack our stuff, but we do have to get off and get a new Sail card for the next Cruise. I was told, (but this isn't a fact) that Carnival might let you off and then right back on and you don't have to stand in line or wait for them to start processing other passengers. We thought we would have to get off by 10:00, and they usually don't start letting people on till 11:30 or so. That means about an hour and a half of standing around. We were told to see the bursar and they might be able to expediate the matter.

Hope to see you on board. We are from NY, and as you can see by my handle, I am a big Giants fan. I never go anywhere without my giants cap, so when you see someone wearing a Giants baseball cap, It' me. We are both young seniors and are traveling alone.

I will keep my eye out for a Giants hat. My husband is a big Ohio State Buckeye Fan....so look for a guy that is always wearing a Buckeye shirt and hat. Hopefully this process will go smoothly. :o

Julie

Will you be on the 9-8 sailing as well? I've contacted the owner - he said the bar and kitchen will be open the day we're in Costa Maya. I told him we'd be there! If you're going to be on the same cruise as us, let me know - perhaps we can arrange to head out together. Safety in numbers and all that ;)

We will be on the 9/8. That's great to know the kitchen will be open at Chac-chi! I'll check back on this thread & let you know as soon as we decide!

In the Windows on the Sea restaurant, at the very aft of the ship is a deli. Carnival talks a lot about having the "best pizza at sea" (and most of the time it's good), but the best reuben sandwiches you will ever have will be prepared for you at the deli. While it doesn't look like your neighborhood deli, the do make the sandwiches fresh for you. You will enjoy the deli sandwiches.

Thanks for letting me know! One more thing to look forward to...:D

Jetskier, or anyone else who has used the other parking garage that Angel works at (I can't remember the name right now, but have seen Jetskier talking about it):

We are parking with Angel during our cruise on the 20th. We get to NO on Sunday and parking our car with them, and they are taking us to our hotel. How much should I tip every time they take us some where? They will be taking us to the hotel, then picking us up and taking us to the ship, then picking us up after the cruise. I wasn't sure if I tipped them every time, or just once. Do I tip the driver, or the guy carrying my luggage? Or does the driver do this? I would ask Angel, but I don't think that is right.

Jetskier, or anyone else who has used the other parking garage that Angel works at (I can't remember the name right now, but have seen Jetskier talking about it):

We are parking with Angel during our cruise on the 20th. We get to NO on Sunday and parking our car with them, and they are taking us to our hotel. How much should I tip every time they take us some where? They will be taking us to the hotel, then picking us up and taking us to the ship, then picking us up after the cruise. I wasn't sure if I tipped them every time, or just once. Do I tip the driver, or the guy carrying my luggage? Or does the driver do this? I would ask Angel, but I don't think that is right.

New Orleans Cruise Ship Parking or also know as Machu Picchu. Normally I tip $1 per bag at the time we are dropped off. So in your case that would be two times, once at the hotel and then at the pier. The driver usually unloads the baggage from the shuttle. Tipping is usually one of those cases that is subjective.

Dave

Going on my first cruise & would like to book an excursion to the Mayan Ruins. Carnival has 3 different ones available. Kohunlich Mayan Ruins & Chacchoben Mayan Ruins, in Costa Maya or the Mayan Ruins of Tulum (Ultramar) in Cozumel. Which one is the best for two 55 year olds to go on? Thanks!

I'll be leaving on my first cruise on Fantasy on Thursday and was wondering how the drinks work. I read the drink card is $31 for soft drinks but I also read where Tea and water are free? What would be the best $$$ wise for someone who drinks mainly water and tea but a coke or two wouldn't be out of the question? Should I pop for the drink card or is there a better solution?

Also, what is the average price for a bar drink? I saw where they have daily specials, what do they run and what is the general cost for someone not on the daily special?

Thanks.:)

I'll be leaving on my first cruise on Fantasy on Thursday and was wondering how the drinks work. I read the drink card is $31 for soft drinks but I also read where Tea and water are free? What would be the best $$$ wise for someone who drinks mainly water and tea but a coke or two wouldn't be out of the question? Should I pop for the drink card or is there a better solution?

Also, what is the average price for a bar drink? I saw where they have daily specials, what do they run and what is the general cost for someone not on the daily special?

Unless you are drinking several (3 or more) cokes a day, then the coke card is not necessary. Most cokes are a $1.75 with gratuity about $2.00. Tea, water, fruit juices, coffee is free onboard. You can also get an expresso after dinner.

DOD is $6.95 in the sovi glass or $5.95 without. Most drinks average around $5.95 to $6.50.

Dave

I'm not sure what it's called but I read that they have some party or something when you leave with the captain and stuff. Sorry I can't be more specific but I don't know much about this. What can anyone tell me about this get together? What is the dress code? What's it like? Thanks.

I'm not sure what it's called but I read that they have some party or something when you leave with the captain and stuff. Sorry I can't be more specific but I don't know much about this. What can anyone tell me about this get together? What is the dress code? What's it like? Thanks.

The captain's party is on formal night and precedes your dinner. It is a cocktail party. The dress code is formal- men wear jackets and ties or a tux and the women wear their formal dresses. You shake hands with the cruise director and the captain. The orchestra plays and you can dance on stage, and the waiters will serve you cocktails and appetizers. If you're on the Fantasy when Big Tex is the director, he'll sing "Can't Help Falling In Love With You".

Lots of people bring a six or a fridge pack of twelve of their favorite soft drink as well.

Hey Scanner219, My wife and I went on the Chachoben Ruins while in Costa Maya. We had a great time and highly recomend it. We are both on the fluffy side and had little trouble walking the tour. There was one part where you can climb a long set of ruin steps or you could bypass and take a less steep way around. We took the steeper route and huffed our way up. We used a non Carnival company that we heard about here Called David and Ivans And We are glad we did. The ships tours seemed to be rushed through the site and David took time to stop and explain what we were seeing and also had extensive knowledge of the jungle vegetation. He would stop and find leafs and bring them back for us to taste and feel. His mother is a medicine woman and he learned alot from her. There were 12 in our group and the ships were in groups of about 40 to one guide. David Seemed passionate about what he was telling us about the ruins. Price was 43pp, ship was 69pp. There Is more info at their website http://www.thenativechoice.com. Mike

I've read thru all of the wonderful info on this thread - -took awhile! I still have a few questions.......

1- In what order are we called to disembark? I am driving so no flight to fool with and am on Empress deck -- just wondered about what time we might need to leave the ship.........also -- do you HAVE to leave when they call your color? For instance, if we are still eating breakfast, is it ok?

(I doubt they would tell us we could not leave the ship since we were later than our color....)

2- What is the difference in the 2 Dining rooms - I know different times and locations - but anything else significant?

3-Are there wheel chairs available for use, if needed aboard the ship? I am with an elderly parent who may need assistance onto the ship and a wheel chair if the emabarkation is taking more than 20 min -- she cannot stand for long periods......also, curious if there is one if she needs it for disembarkation - although that really should not be a problem.....unless there is no where for her to sit while we wait? Thus the reason for question #1 -- I had hoped we could have a leisurely breakfast in the Dining Room and wait there.

4- #3 causes me to ask if the Dining room is open for breakfast on that last morning - I have forgotten if I read that on this thread.

5- Do they search luggage on disembarkation or only on embarkation - not planning on having any problems but just curious.....

6- Tendering tickets -- IF we tender and do not have an excursion and are not in a hurry to leave the ship -- do we have to go get tickets that morning -- or just wait for the crowd to leave and get off at our leisure?

7- I think I figured out that I canNOT park the night before in the cruise terminal lot -- I am staying at the Riverwalk and parking for the hotel is more expensive than the terminal.....

Hope these are not repeater questions - thanks for your help! It's our first time on Carnival -and I know we will have a grand time - especially since we are sailing after the room upgrades! :D

I've read thru all of the wonderful info on this thread - -took awhile! I still have a few questions.......

1- In what order are we called to disembark? I am driving so no flight to fool with and am on Empress deck -- just wondered about what time we might need to leave the ship.........also -- do you HAVE to leave when they call your color? For instance, if we are still eating breakfast, is it ok?

(I doubt they would tell us we could not leave the ship since we were later than our color....)

On our past Fantasy cruises they called Verandah and Empress first. This could be different on your sailing. You don't have to leave as soon as your color is called, you just can't leave before it's called.

2- What is the difference in the 2 Dining rooms - I know different times and locations - but anything else significant?

Nope, just different times. They used to seat you in the dining room closest to your stateroom, but now they seat you according to which of the 4 dining times you request.

5- Do they search luggage on disembarkation or only on embarkation - not planning on having any problems but just curious.....

Most luggage is never searched. It can be searched if they feel the need upon both embarkation and debarkation.

6- Tendering tickets -- IF we tender and do not have an excursion and are not in a hurry to leave the ship -- do we have to go get tickets that morning -- or just wait for the crowd to leave and get off at our leisure?

You shouldn't need to tender at Cozumel, most of the ships seem to be docking now. You will dock at Costa Maya. If you do tender at Cozumel, you don't need a ticket if you leave after the early rush.

7- I think I figured out that I canNOT park the night before in the cruise terminal lot -- I am staying at the Riverwalk and parking for the hotel is more expensive than the terminal.....

The Whale Lot at the Riverwalk was, last time I parked there, about the same price as the cruise terminal. We've parked there before and walked to the terminal, but this was before the new terminal was open. It's a slightly longer walk from there to the new terminal, so you'll probably want to move your car to the terminal lot the morning of embarkation.

It's our first time on Carnival -and I know we will have a grand time - especially since we are sailing after the room upgrades! :D

I'm pretty sure the rooms won't be refurbished until September of 2008. You'll have a wonderful time anyway, I just wanted to make you aware of this. From your signature, it looks like you're sailing this year.

3-Are there wheel chairs available for use, if needed aboard the ship? I am with an elderly parent who may need assistance onto the ship and a wheel chair if the emabarkation is taking more than 20 min -- she cannot stand for long periods......also, curious if there is one if she needs it for disembarkation - although that really should not be a problem.....unless there is no where for her to sit while we wait? Thus the reason for question #1 -- I had hoped we could have a leisurely breakfast in the Dining Room and wait there.

4- #3 causes me to ask if the Dining room is open for breakfast on that last morning - I have forgotten if I read that on this thread.

Hope these are not repeater questions - thanks for your help! It's our first time on Carnival -and I know we will have a grand time - especially since we are sailing after the room upgrades! :D

Okay we just went in July. We found the disembarkment the worst part of the whole cruise. We also drove but wanted to self- disembark. The crowds were worse then anything I can describe. I would recommend going for a nice breakfast and leisurely leaving later. They were only able to call one floor. The crowds were so bad that they did not call any other while we were on for over an hour. They do not search bags unless a reason I noticed while going through customs that the luggage that was not carried out by owners were in a section and dogs were their sniffing for drugs maybe?

I'm pretty sure the rooms won't be refurbished until September of 2008. You'll have a wonderful time anyway, I just wanted to make you aware of this. From your signature, it looks like you're sailing this year.

Thanks for that heads up - I just overlooked the '08 in my excitement :eek: -- yes, I know we will have a grand time and some day will try the NEW and improved staterooms! ;)

Thank you for your answers to my other questions - all quite helpful! I believe we will just NOT be in a big rush to leave the ship since we do not have a plane to catch.....and perhaps avoid some of the rush and crowds........will need to play it by ear. Thanks!

Archived