The Pearl and an under-2 toddler

Angie-Pangie

We have just returned from the Pearl, sailing 2/25-3/2, and we travelled with our son who is 20months. Before leaving, I had many questions about what we could do with him and so on. So, I thought I would share what I learned during the trip:

1- We had an inside stateroom. For our needs, it was totally enough space. We weren't planning on spending any time there other than sleeping.

2- The sleeping arrangement we used is that we kept the beds separated and took the duvet/comforter from the upper berth and folded it up and put it on the floor between the beds and VOILA! a perfect bed for a toddler. We simply folded it up in the morning. However, it is true that he did disappear sometimes, rolling under the bed. If we didn't like two pillows each, we would have made a buffer.

3- For walking around the ship, we bought one of those cute animal backpack leash things (Walmart) and more time than not, it was Aidan who wanted to wear his puppy. It made us feel safer that if he decided to dart at the wrong place and time, we had control.

4- Look for the Kids Café at the back of the Garden Café.

5- You can borrow Leap Frog toys from the Kids Club.

6- There should be an under-2 zoo in one of the conference rooms. The rooms are tricky to find and not well marked. if I remember, they are on deck 6, just outside of the Stardust theatre.

7- Speaking of the Stardust, we brought Aidan to almost all the shows, except the comedy. He loved the dancing and singing and lights and stuff.

8- We had bought a blow up pool to bring with us but we ended up just letting him splash in the little kiddy pool in the corner. they have a little pink elephant slide, a big hit! I don't know if that is kosher or not, but everyone was doing it. However, we did not bring him to the big pools. That ain't kosher.

9- By all means bring the kids to the restaurants. You can always order chicken nuggets or quesadillas or mac&cheese for them.

10- IF you have a milk drinker, grab some little boxes of milk in the morning because they become hard to find after that.

11- Have them empty the fridge in your room so you can store the milk.

12- Let them watch the ship cam on the tv in the room and then bring them up to the spot in person. In our case, it just blew his mind.

13- Try to get a seat next to the window in any of the restaurants, cause when the little one gets restless, turn them around and have them look for dolphins. Never found one but boy, did Aidan look real hard.

14- Highchairs are available in the Garden Café, usually down around the Kids Café.

15- If you need sippy cups washed, just bring them to the Garden Café (preferably at a not-busy time) and they will wash them for you. Have a cappucino while you wait for them. I had 7 cups with me so when I had about 5 dirty ones, I would bring them up.

16- You can ask for paper plates so as not to smash the plates when his or her majesty decides that dinner is over.

Enjoy! We sure did.

Cute kid! I remember seeing him around the ship and telling my wife that we should've gotten a leash like that for Ben when he was that age! I think I saw your husband holding him in the Atrium the last day while Los Trios Amigos was playing. That was always a good time!

We were going to bring our 8 month old with us, but decided not to, since we wouln't have been able to do much at all, especially the beach break in Belize.

Were you able to do any excursions with your little one?

Archived