Travelpro 50" horizontal rolling garment bag....

cmpaula

Does anyone have one of these? The Travelpro website touts them as being great for cruises. We have had travelpro carryons for years and they are very well made. I know there is a debate on expensive luggage -vs- less expensive and that is a personal choice. I am thinking about getting the red so it stands out from the rest of the luggage but black shows very little dirt and there are ways you can distinguish it from other black bags. Any opinions?

Does anyone have one of these? The Travelpro website touts them as being great for cruises. We have had travelpro carryons for years and they are very well made. I know there is a debate on expensive luggage -vs- less expensive and that is a personal choice. I am thinking about getting the red so it stands out from the rest of the luggage but black shows very little dirt and there are ways you can distinguish it from other black bags. Any opinions?

I don't have one, as a matter of fact I don't use a garment bag at all anymore. They are great for hanging clothes, but not much good for anything else IMO. I opted for just a larger suitcase. I have a 29", 25" and carry-on. The 29" would hold everything I need, but with airline weight restrictions now, I can't load it up, so I have to split the weight in two bags.

With the way airlines treat luggage now, I wouldn't pay a lot of money for a suitcase. I've had American Tourister and Samsonite that have gotten slashed, smashed and destroyed. I don't even care now what the name is, as long as the price is right.

I don't have Travelpro, but I do have two Hartmann 50" rolling garment bags. I did an extensive study of 3/4 garment bags about 3 years ago. These are my conclusions:

The Hartmann's are considerably deeper than the TravelPro's-7" vs 12.75" and hold almost twice as much (3990 cu in vs 6833 cu in). The two bags are roughly the same size-length/width. The difference is in the depth. The Hartmann's also have two garment clamps-one on either end. You put a garment on one end, then a garment on the other end, layering all the way to the top. The Hartmann's actually hold 12/14 wire hangers-I take everything from the cleaners right into the suitcases-plastic bags, hangers and all.

I have gotten rid of most of my other luggage in favor these garment bags. I can EASILY put 4-5 formal gowns, 3 suits for DH, tuxedo and dinner jacket, 2/3 dresses for me, 5-6 pairs of Dockers, 5-6 shirts and tuck my shoes in the corner along with underwear and tops. We can easily have all the clothes and "stuff" we need for a two week cruise in two garment bags, one medium size suitcase, and two carryons. I also use one for ALL my business travel-even stopped taking my 21" carryon. Now EVERYTHNG goes in the checked suitcase EXCEPT my laptop, business paperwork and personal stuff. I fly coast to coast once a month, 4 trips per year to South America, and at least two trips to the Orient for business every year. The suitcases are holding up very well.

The Hartmann's are about double the price of the Travelpro at retail-$750 vs $399. However, the Hartmann bags usually go for about $250.00 on Ebay slightly used. There are a lot of them out there-they are often found at estate sales. New ones on Ebay are about $500.00. If you buy new, Hartmann has a lifetime warranty.

I don't have one, but I just looked up the omne you mention ad it looks great. With the 2 compartments you would be able to pack quite a bit, of course, I'd want to see it in person before purchase.

I have a Victorinox garment bag (not rolling, but it attaches to my rolling bag) that I've had for several years. It holds so much more than you could ever imagine. With 4 outside pockets and a multitude of inside pockets, I could pack it for a whole week with no problem.

I don't happen to agree with cheaper luggage being a better buy. We've had cheap pieces in the past and they do get ripped, banged up and zippers fail within just a few trips. Our more expensive luggage has stood the test of time, the frames are stronger, same with zippers and any marks easily clean right off. Each person has to decide what value is for themselves, I prefer quality that lasts vs buying new every couple of years.

If you are shopping at a local luggage store, take a bunch of your gear with you and do a trail packing of the bag you are considering. Don't be embarrassed to haul your stuff in to the store.

If you won't let you 'play' with the baggage, go elsewhere! You have to know how it will work for you.

If traveling by air better check their restrictions. I know that British Airways has a size restriction of a total of 62 inches for length,width, and depth combined. I took my measuring tape to the store and a 30 in is the biggest that will work and some of those were a little over. Also, like someone said, airlines have weight restrictions too and 50 in can easily go over the limit. If you are going straight to the ship and back than it would work great.

greatam, how heavy is the Hartmann luggage when empty? For that matter, how much does the Travel Pro weigh? That issue has been a big complaint of mine when looking for a good garment bag. I have one, a 6 suiter, by Tumi, but that sucker weighs so much empty, that when I pack it, it's more than the 50lb limit imposed by the airlines. Yes, you can stuff a lot into those things, but as I said, it's so darn heavy when empty, you cannot utilize the bag to it's fullest.

greatam, how heavy is the Hartmann luggage when empty? For that matter, how much does the Travel Pro weigh? That issue has been a big complaint of mine when looking for a good garment bag. I have one, a 6 suiter, by Tumi, but that sucker weighs so much empty, that when I pack it, it's more than the 50lb limit imposed by the airlines. Yes, you can stuff a lot into those things, but as I said, it's so darn heavy when empty, you cannot utilize the bag to it's fullest.

I just e-mailed Travelpro about the weight of the 50" garment bag as well as the 28" pullman. I will post as soon as they respond. I have no idea about how much Hartman luggage weighs.

I had a set of French Luggage for years but it was all carry on pieces...it was fabulous and traveled all over the world during the 1980's. I think I was a little more concerned with looking good than practicality:) Now I'm more into comfort and ease...ah the wisdom of middle age-LOL

I gave up all my suitcases for duffle bags on wheels. They only weigh around 3-4 lbs empty and hold a ton of stuff. Use the garment bag for suits and formal wear.

My duffle bags are "lime green" and "royal blue" so they can be seen as soon as they roll onto the luggage carrosal (sp)? Also easier to see in that "big" warehouse of luggage coming off the ship.

The Hartmann suitcases ARE heavy. The website states 19 pounds for Hartmann 50", 14# for the Travelpro.

For a cruise, I truly can pack 3-4 heavily beaded gowns (the only kind of formal I have because they are so easy to pack), 2/3 dresses, 3/4 pairs of decent slacks/Dockers, a couple of blazers plus all my underwear, tops, and LIGHTWEIGHT (evening shoes) and be under the weight limit. I DO NOT put heavy shoes in the suitcase. Those go in the carryon or another suitcase.

My trips to South America for business usually last 5-9 days and I am by myself (no DH to help with the luggage). I need lots of "country club casual" clothes, plus one or two suits/dresses, lots of Levi's for my warehouse and port trips and dress, casual and "work" shoes/boots. I am always right at the weight limit. I just don't drag around lots of "stuff". No hair dryers, no irons, no heavy "extra" stuff. If I REALLY need it, I can buy it there.

For a cruise, I don't try to keep it to one suitcase per person plus carryon. I use ALL my luggage allowance. If you are doing a pre/post cruise, you go from the airport/ship to hotel and have porters/bell hops take care of the luggage. If you are going directly to the ship, the taxi driver/porters will take care of it. The extra $25.00 for tips is a lot cheaper than overweight luggage.

Archived