Excuse my ignorance.....

wakelover

This price difference between us over the pond is quite stupid as we all agree. A couple of years ago when in Boston we tried to book a Princess cruise (as it was much cheaper than if we had booked it when we got back to UK) and we were told that unless we had an American address (and not a hotel/accommodation address) we could not do it. I am wondering if this has changed now maybe??

I noticed someone else had mentioned this on another thread a few days back (I think it may have been someone from Germany) and they had be warned that if they did manage to book, using an american address (but actually living in UK) they could be turned away on embarkation as various holiday documents (passports..do they show our address I can't remember??) would be different. ..Now I'm not sure if it would be a good thing to recommend to someone to do - unless of course someone is doing this on a regular basis from UK and can vouch for it???

Would welcome to hear what the actual situation is:)

Hi Heather, I also have found this.

I booked Venturer today to go in May and it was £1300 cheaper than Independence. They both look like great ships but that swung it for me.....or was it the promise of Noddy!!:)

We have booked on Venturer in May 2008, the Canaries, which one are you booked on? :cool:

We have booked on Venturer in May 2008, the Canaries, which one are you booked on? :cool:

HI rob we are on May 30th sailing to the Med.

I am hoping to book a canaries cruise on Oceana in Sept.

Have you been there before?

Lou

Good points from Lou and M62 & Shogun

Would like to make a mention of always being able to enjoy a fabulous curry at lunchtime! Also a PROPER afternoon tea with real English tea (No revolting Iced Tea on tap all over the place...!! ) Whereas if one wants English tea on other cruise lines you have to request it.

Being able to "book a table" in a restaurant rather than reserve - we had a very strange incident one eve on Princess when we wanted to book a table...the poor waiter thought we wanted to buy a book..!!

Cabins instead of staterooms, shower cubicles instead of stalls, wardrobes instead of closets.... Proper biscuits and not soggy cookies, proper puddings and not whipped up angel delight with spray on cream.... Meals served by silver service (not on Oceana now????) and LOADS of vegetables. (I almost got scurvy on RCI last year...one night after being served just mashed potato and one carrot I asked for some green vegetables, the waiter kindly brought me a whole dinner plate of brocolli EVERY single night..hmmmmm, not that keen on broc!!)And what is it with Americans liking mashed potato with every meal??? It was so odd, every night this stuff would appear - even at a lunchtime BBQ!! Must be popular in America.

& the BBQ's!! P&O know how to produce a BBQ!!

Our favourite drinks to be found...Pernod, Pims etc (we could not get either on either RCI /Princess) - not the end of the world of course, but a shame when one is used to your own favourite tipple on holiday!).

The ships (Oriana and Aurora) were built for the Brit market and therefore are much more subdued in colour and style, far more relaxing on the eye than the others - this I believe it something quite distinctive for the British cruiser, adding to the ambience and sense of style that only the British seem to have.

- If you take a look over on the Cunard board, there are people who can explain the British way of cruising far better than I - they seem to have it spot on!

Oh! and I am not old....and still have two very agile hips thank you!!:)

So finally the realisation that after many many cruises with P&O, and now having tried other cruise lines, we know that we shall be sticking with P&O or Cunard in the future!:)

Surely you done your homework though before embarking on this cruise? Even if you didn't, there are bound to be differences to a P&O cruise and a cruise on RCI etc.

Bev

Quick caution,

I booked a cruise with a TA in Florida, because I wanted the Grand Suite and 2 other suites beside it. It saved over £10,000, but I had lots of problems with money being taken off my Amex by the TA for no reason, and it took 18 months to resolve. Also now I get invoices from Princess directly asking me to pay for the cruise which ended 2 years ago!!! :eek:

Rob.

There are some US Travel Agents that you can use without problem.

Bev

No this will be my first time visiting the canaries. Lots of dogs there I hear.

Hi Rob,i have only ever been to Gran Canaria. Cant say i was overly impressed with it but it was some.......oh my word 20 years ago!!:eek: i still feel 18!!...

There wasn't a dog problem that i can remember then but there was a transvestite problem!!

Please dont be put off by this as i'm sure it is a lovely island but it was seen through the eyes of a teenager that went on a clubbing holiday! However now that i am more refined!! ha,ha(well i must be sailing on P&O!) it had better be nice.

If we do go which is our plan i'll let you have any relevent info that you may be interested in.

Lou

There are some US Travel Agents that you can use without problem.

Bev

Interesting thread so I thought I'd add my 2 pence worth here. First, I'm Canadian which makes me neither American or British but some odd hybrid living north of the US.

We tend to look at Britishness over here as something to do with the "traditional" things - afternoon tea, formal sittings, our perception of British behaviours and norms from a bygone era.......................I think in reality Britain of today is far different that that of the Victorian era or even the 1950's. I think the same could be said for much of the world. So I see this as nothing more than a marketing tool to sell "ideals".

I agree with those who say that there is good and bad in every nationality and a choice of cruise lines is dependent on every individual's expectations. Of course American ships will cater to a different breed of people (especially those in the Caribbean) from UK ships homeporting from Southampton and visiting Europe. There are indeed cultural differences as much as there are differences between Canadians and Americans over on this side of the pond.

I haven't had the chance to try out P&O so cannot compare it to the others. I realize that Cunard has been Americanized but here is one North American who has no interest in RCI simply because I do not go for the party, adventure and fast food lifestyle while on vacation. Still, there is a substantial market for that and thus why RCI is around and even servicing British ports so there must be a base of clientele from the UK using them in enough numbers.

I like good food but I am a picky eater. I must admit I hate baked beans so it would be something I would immediately push to the side if given to me for Breakfast. However, I wouldn't cancel my upcoming UK vacation simply because of something like that.

As for the cheaper fares in the US? Well everything is practically deregulated over there. Competition is rough and everyone in the US expects a bargain. It has its good and bad. Unfortunately service has gone downhill because of it as service costs money. I can't say service in the US has gone downhill as a result of American fast food attitude. There are some US agents that will work with overseas clients (I'm using a US TA for my upcoming Cunard cruise) but its the shipping lines themselves that have rules in place not to serve non-North American clients. On the other side of the coin, I simply cannot log onto P&O's website and book a P&O cruise as I am not a UK resident. So it does work both ways except for the pricing difference.

Here's one person looking forward to visiting Britain in August/September this year for the first time and hoping to experience something different. I managed to break out of booking chain hotels and will be trying my hardest to avoid familiar fast food outlets we have at home because what's the point of leaving home then?

David

Interesting thread so I thought I'd add my 2 pence worth here. First, I'm Canadian which makes me neither American or British but some odd hybrid living north of the US.

We tend to look at Britishness over here as something to do with the "traditional" things - afternoon tea, formal sittings, our perception of British behaviours and norms from a bygone era.......................I think in reality Britain of today is far different that that of the Victorian era or even the 1950's. I think the same could be said for much of the world. So I see this as nothing more than a marketing tool to sell "ideals".

I agree with those who say that there is good and bad in every nationality and a choice of cruise lines is dependent on every individual's expectations. Of course American ships will cater to a different breed of people (especially those in the Caribbean) from UK ships homeporting from Southampton and visiting Europe. There are indeed cultural differences as much as there are differences between Canadians and Americans over on this side of the pond.

I haven't had the chance to try out P&O so cannot compare it to the others. I realize that Cunard has been Americanized but here is one North American who has no interest in RCI simply because I do not go for the party, adventure and fast food lifestyle while on vacation. Still, there is a substantial market for that and thus why RCI is around and even servicing British ports so there must be a base of clientele from the UK using them in enough numbers.

I like good food but I am a picky eater. I must admit I hate baked beans so it would be something I would immediately push to the side if given to me for Breakfast. However, I wouldn't cancel my upcoming UK vacation simply because of something like that.

As for the cheaper fares in the US? Well everything is practically deregulated over there. Competition is rough and everyone in the US expects a bargain. It has its good and bad. Unfortunately service has gone downhill because of it as service costs money. I can't say service in the US has gone downhill as a result of American fast food attitude. There are some US agents that will work with overseas clients (I'm using a US TA for my upcoming Cunard cruise) but its the shipping lines themselves that have rules in place not to serve non-North American clients. On the other side of the coin, I simply cannot log onto P&O's website and book a P&O cruise as I am not a UK resident. So it does work both ways except for the pricing difference.

Here's one person looking forward to visiting Britain in August/September this year for the first time and hoping to experience something different. I managed to break out of booking chain hotels and will be trying my hardest to avoid familiar fast food outlets we have at home because what's the point of leaving home then?

David

Interesting and balanced comments David - Make sure you include Brighton and the South Coast among your places to visit - and if you want to have some excellent The Olde Tea Shoppes recommended give us a nod!;)

David

Hi David,

Good post, a couple of points. You do not have to have Baked beans for breakfast however British they are. If I had then I would have to go and stand at the stern of the ship for about 2 hours:eek:

Secondly when have you been trying P&O. they have been changing their website and there have been problems. Also how would they know were you live from your Email address. I am sure P&O would not turn away Canadian or US citizens, indeed when the Captain does a roll call he is quite keen to tell us about non UK passengers.

You should try one of the UK TA websites like Cruise Kings or Bolsover or Liverpool or , They all offer good deals and I have never seen any notices which say UK only.

Enjoy your UK visit and see if you can arrange a P&O cruise some other time.

:)Happy Cruising:)

:cool:

Dai

Okay so fairs fair....What we enjoyed about P&O....

1) Sailing from Southampton (which we are now going to do with RCI:D )

2) The people we made friends with (but we also keep in touch 3 years on with the US friends we made on RCI)

3) Kettle in the cabin.....admittedly hard to get a good cup of tea on RCI..but they tried bless 'em when we asked!...more than my French Martini .. I believe they had to phone a friend.;) A concoction of sorts arrived in the end so I guess its a point each on that one!)

4) Bigger bathroom in the P&O balcony cabin than a D1 balcony on RCI (but not as nicely appointed or kept as clean as RCI....BY A LONG SHOT!)

5) Disembarkation....we were pleased to be get off!;)

1. Cannot be beat, not having to fly or go through very busy airport controls and not having to put up with US immigration retards, bliss!

2. Goes for any cruise really

3. P&O don't need to try, they deliver in my experience.

4. I always expect more from a British ship.

5. I would guess you fellow passengers were glad to see you get off too, whingeing doesn't go down too well on British ships and you would be much better suited to RCI or if you must take a British cruise, Ocean Village.

All in my humble opinion, obviously!

(No wonder they call us whingeing Poms!!!)

Interesting thread.

I suspect Ventura pricing deliberately set at "keen pricing" for the first year due to high level of competition out of Soton and UK cruising generally - ie several RCC ships plus Cunard, plus 3 or 4 Princess ships.Interesting to note how Fred Olsen seems to be dropping prices and offering really good deals - anyone been on their ships?

They( P+O or Carnival) clearly want it to be a resounding success and be able to say that all cruises sailed full.I bet it goes up quite a bit next year.

Not complaining we managed to get booked for a summer cruise and pleased with the deal.

Very strange marketing though.It's as if they've got this ship and don't quite know how/where to position her in the marketplace - going on about Noddy( not much interest if over 6, and the 7000 paintings - who cares! )

Not that many family cabins compared to other PO ships so why make a big thing re families.

Understand re Marco Pierre White as want to get across high quality food image - but yet again at little at odds with the family market ( being a bit generalistic here).

If you view the CD Rom not many images of lazy days at sea and all the sort of images we tend to look forward to- again not very impressive marketing - smacks of a committee agreeing on the least offensive way to promote the ship.

However it does look a very nice ship- not sure if there is enough sunbed area for the UK market and also it looks as if the balconies have a roof over them which will detract from sunbathing. We will look forward to it immensely -especially if they have improved embarkation. In tha past it has been like being herded into a holding lounge like a load of cattle to await the call " orange, or whatever colour you have, cards can embark now" and then a queue to get on board.

Very outdated RCC Legend was great at embarking- just turned up , did the paperwork and walked straight onboard - how come P+O can't do that!

Any way looking forward to Oriana this year and Ventura next - having a kettle in the cabin for a decent cup of tea!( maybe with a decent biscuit not those awful cookies!), polite friendly unobtrusive stewards,good quality shows,formal evenings,afternoon tea, curry at lunchtime,going to the gym etc etc

Happy cruising.:)

• 3 weeks later...

What a great thread. I just cringe when I read so many comments about us "ugly Americans"... I'm American and I get annoyed by the same sorts of things that you do...the brash, insensitive, loud, complaining types. But, I must assure you we are not ALL like that! I know you realize that, but it's still disconcerting to hear the negative, almost smug tone of exclusivity from some posters.:(

That said, I took a Princess cruise out of Southampton last summer to the western Med and was in the minority of Americans on board. That suited me just fine -- in fact, I was always surprised when I heard another American accent since there were so few of us on board. I made many, many wonderful friends from England on that trip and look forward to visiting with them again. We've been in touch since then and I consider them lifelong friends.

My friend and I are thinking about a cruise on P&O next summer. I know that several of the ships in the line used to be Princess ships but we're interested in the new Ventura; it sounds fantastic! If we go, we promise to behave ourselves properly. Although I'm thoroughly American, my mum was from England, so I DO know how to comport myself...well, most of the time! :D

Could someone do a comparison of Princess vs. P&O. Since they are both owned by Carnival Corporation there has been "Carnivalization" on both lines, I imagine. I know there has on Princess, which I cruise on most frequently. Thanks for any info you can give me!

Archived