Pre & Post Cruise Hotel in Waikiki

mckcruiser

I used these boards last year and it was a great help. I was hoping that someone could give me some suggestions on where to stay pre and post cruise in Honolulu/Waikiki. We're on the April 9th POH. Arriving the day before and staying a day after. Any suggestions would really be appreciated. There are 9 of us - 6 adults and 3 children.

I am well aquainted with Hawaiian Hotels and know of some specials. I am not a travel agent but lived in Hawaii and have been there a lot lately. I have been looking for our trip in June from Tahiti to Hawaii.

What do you need in a Hotel? How long are you staying? Do you want to be by the beach or is a couple blocks away ok? Do you belong to any hotel freguent stay programs or frequest flyer programs? You can pay any where on Waikiki from about $90.00 to up up up depending on what you want.

I am schedule at the Shearton Waikiki in the Manor Wing for $160.00 but have been guarenteed an upgrade because of my membership in the Starwood program. The Manor wing is not so nice a room but it puts you on the beach, but an upgrade puts you in the main hotel with a view or some type. So it make it a good deal.

I belong to Hawaiian Airline and received a good deal with Hilton Hawaiian Village. I think that is the nicest on Waikiki but it is at the exteme west of Waikiki edge so you do a lot of walking back and forth if you want to be in the happenings of Kalakaua Blvd, the main drag, or that part of the beach.

Many of the older hotels have become condos and offer good rates. I understand that many have been updated to some extent. That might be an option with so many people.

I hope this helps and I will be more that happy to help you more if I have answers.

Thanks so much for the info. We're only staying one night before our cruise and one night after the cruise. Our main hotel concern was having a safe, clean place for the pre-cruise stay and a little nicer place on the post-cruise stay. Can you recommend two or three places? It's overwhelming the number of hotels there are to choose from. Do you know if any of the hotels you recommend have a shuttle from the hotel to the airport. I read about a Charlie's Shuttle Service, but was wondering if there were any others. We'd like to stay in the Waikiki beach area. Thanks again for all your help.

I am more that happy too.

Pre-cruise: The Princess Kaiulani, a Shearton Hotel right across from the beach. Have not been there in a while except to pass through the lobby which is bueatiful with a nice pool. Most complaints are about the decor and 60"s look in the old tower. There are three towers. If you join starwood fg program i have been given a price of $130.00 night. New room are suppose to be great and ofcourse being a shearton if you have a complaint they will are always anxious to fix it.

Resortquest Waikiki Circle. I remember when it was a Motel 6 back in the 60's must have been an original. Great Location not sure of the room size. Any of the Resortquest should be ok. You can do your homework on those.

My mother stayed at the Ohana Waikiki Islander about two years ago with a friend. Buy that whole block is under renovation (Lewers Stree and Beachwalk street) and the pool is closed right now so not a good idea.

After the cruise any of the seven beach hotels would be fine. The Reef is doing some construction as is The Hilton Hawaiian Village. However at the HHV they have time shares and one and two bedrooms available which might fit your situation. The consturction at HHV is limited to a new tower and not much of a problem except for noise during the day. It is next to Fort DeRussy, a military beach open to everyone. It is the best part of the beach.

I was stationed there at the R&R Center during Vietnam when it was a more active military base. The 442 was there at the time and a hugh service club and the induction center. The only buildings left on base are the chapel and an artilary battery that serves as a museum. The would have gotten rid ot the battery but could not blow it up. How well is that built. The corps of engineers has a visitor center there as well.

Hope this helps. If you have more question please fell free. If you want my email I will be happy to help as well.

Archived