Roll Call - Aquafest Halloween Cruise 10/28/07 - 11/04/07

gmhohio

Hi All,

Am a returning passenger for the Aquafest Halloween Cruise. The group of approximately 500 will be aboard the Mariner of the Seas. The group is almost sold out. Who all is joining us on this cruise?

Hey Glenn,

Great to hear from you. Can hardly wait to see you and Shane. Lots of changes for me since last year's Halloween Cruise, all of them good.

Am really looking forward to the Halloween Cruise. I understand we will have our own private venue on the ship. It will definitely be a great time.

Hi:

Just wondering if anyone had ideas on where they will be staying? Will you being staying in Orlando or Port Cavaneral/Coco Beach? Or flying in the day of the cruise? I think we will be staying in Orlando the night before and taking the bus transfer to the port the day of the cruise, probably at the Hyatt at the airport. We'd be able to get a cab anywhere we wanted to go but the main thing is that it would be super easy to catch the transfer the next day.

http://orlandoairport.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/

http://www.airwise.com/airports/us/MCO/MCO_04.html

http://www.mytravelguide.com/restaurants/neighborhood-19809604-United_States_Florida_Orlando_Orlando_International_Airport_restaurants.html

I'd also like to make a suggestion. If you have a balcony on the ship this year, show RCC and the cruise industry the power of the Dorothy Dollar and fly a pride flag from your balcony railing. The locking plastic cable ties work really well and cut off easily with nail clippers. You can get the nice flags with the grommets on ebay for less than $10.

ME NEED VACATION NOW!!!!!!!!!

Glenn and Shane

1997 - Carnival Celebration

1998 - RCC Grandeur of the Seas

1999 - RCC Enchantment of the Seas

2000 - Carnival Inspiration

2001 - Carnival Spirit

2002 - Carnival Pride

2003 - Carnival Conquest

2004 - Carnival Conquest

2005 - Norwegian Sun - Aquafest

2006 - Holland America Zuiderdam - Aquafest

2007 - RCC Mariner of the Seas - Aquafest

Good idea on the flag! (Nice to have a balcony I've learned. Comes in handy when your roommate won't leave the room!)

I'm probably going to be in Orlando the night before also and take the shuttle service over.

jerij

I just made my reservation - my partner Richard and I will be attending our first gay-group cruise and are looking forward to it - any past cruisers have feedback about the "gay-friendliness" on board from the straights who may not have known they were travelling with a gay group?

I was on the AF H2006 and AF MG2007 and noticed only 1 comment from the "normies". Otherwise, I didn't notice it being an issue.

As always, there is strength in numbers....

jerij

Let me begin by saying "Hello, and welcome to the Aquafest family". You're going to have a great time. :)

Let me say that as a rule the staff love us. Many of the staff onboard the cruise ships are gay themselves and have left their contries to better themselves and have more freedom. They do date and have partners onboard. As a rule they love us especially the bar staff because the gays drink like fish and are good tippers. I've been told by staff that they like us better than the straight people and hate to see us leave. :p

Straights who have never been around gays or gays being themselves at least often come away with positively changed additudes and perspectives. Just think of yousellf as an ambassador on the high seas.

Gossip from Halloween, the year before last:

1. Two years ago on the halloween cruise there was a little old lady from Texas who noticed all the cabin doors with notes on them that said Aquafest and had rainbow colors. She went up to the front desk and asked about the group. She was informed that we were a gay group. She got upset and decided to get off the ship, "What would my pastor say with me traveling with all these gay people?". She asked for a refund. They told her that she was perfectly free to leave but they would not be giving her a refund. She left without her money. ;)

2. It seems that a newlywed couple got onboard. They had been married a few months but were just getting around to taking a honemoon. Well, the husband got onboard and saw all these well mannered nice gay men and jumped the fence. He got another cabin (probably the one the older lady that left was in) and hooked up with someone onboard. She spent the whole cruise consoling herself in the bar and spa. Oh my! :eek:

See ya in October. Glenn and Shane

Just wondering if anyone had ideas on where they will be staying? I think we will be staying in Orlando the night before and taking the bus transfer to the port the day of the cruise, probably at the Hyatt at the airport.

Hello guys

My friend Bill and I are considering flying in two or three days prior and heading to DisneyWorld for a day or two. We plan to rent a car and drive to the port the morning of the cruise. Anyone else thinking along those lines/care to join us?

David

Shane and I had discussed staying for a couple of days as well but were undecided about whether to schedule it before or after the cruise and whether to go to Disney or Universal. Everyone I've talked to says Universal is better but I'd like to see Cirque Du Soliel La Nouba at Disney.

http://www.cirquedusoleil.com/CirqueDuSoleil/en/showstickets/lanouba/intro/intro.htm

What do you think?? Thanks. Glenn

Everyone I've talked to says Universal is better but I'd like to see Cirque Du Soliel La Nouba at Disney.

Hi Glenn

Can you be more specific about why you've gotten that reaction? If it seems too off topic for this forum you can email me at dfreardon@aol.com. I will talk with Bill about what he prefers. We both enjoy the Disney experience so am leaning more towards visiting there, and, coming from California, it is easier for us to get away for a few days prior to the cruise than after. It's all going to be fun and we are really excited about the trip.

David

Wow, I haven't been to the board for a few days. Am glad to see that it's taken off. Am also glad to see that there are some returning faces (Hi Glenn, Shane, Eric and jerij) along with new ones. That's the great thing about Aquafest, there are always a large number of people who cruise at Halloween each year. It's almost like a reunion, but it's even better because you don't have to worry about long the potato salad has been sitting out or what your crazy aunt may have put in the jello. :p

I am sad to say that Miss Kuwait has retired and has turned in her crown. I do know what my costume will be but have not started on it. I am part of a group this year for the costume contest and will be joining in with Dan and Garry. (Last year's belly dancers.)

My BF and I are flying down on Friday. We are planning on going to Universal (both of us are nuts for rollercoasters) but haven't decided where to stay yet. We're trying to figure out whether to go mainstream or stay in GLBT Lodgings. Decisions, decisions.

As Eric said there are seven months until the cruise and the diet continues. Since the 2006 Halloween Cruise I've lost a little over 30 more pounds with a few more pounds to go. After all we will be in the Caribbean and I want to be able to wear my swim suit without frightening children or small animals.

Hope all of you are doing well. Can't wait to see you all.

Hey Gang,

My partner Brian and I are booked along with several of our friends. We just got off the NCL Pearl. It was a "straight" cruise, but there were many of us attending the FOD meetings.

I am very excited to try this venue and the ship is awesome (along with the Price).

We live in Fort Lauderdale and we are bugged that we have to travel 2.5 hours in a car to reach a cruise ship. ; ) But I guess it is worth it.

Tom

Hi everyone,

Well we finally just booked yesterday. I had checked the website and couldn't believe that it was sold out already. Called Aquafest and they were able to get us a cabin through RCCL, I just wish that I had booked earlier could have saved some money. Oh well, just looking forward to sailing with the group again. The fact that it is on the Mariner is great also as it is one of our favorite ships.

Looking forward to seeing everyone in October.

Have a great night,

Kent & Andy

Hey Gang,

My partner Brian and I are booked along with several of our friends. We just got off the NCL Pearl. It was a "straight" cruise, but there were many of us attending the FOD meetings.

I am very excited to try this venue and the ship is awesome (along with the Price).

We live in Fort Lauderdale and we are bugged that we have to travel 2.5 hours in a car to reach a cruise ship. ; ) But I guess it is worth it.

Tom

Welcome Brian, Tom and Friends::D

We're looking forward to meeting you. I know that you'll have a great time, we always do. It's a large group but not too large. This is our third year for the Halloween cruise and we plan on coming back every year.

I agree with Gregg that it's getting to be like a reunion cruise. I had suggested to Tom at Aquafest last year that they start calling it that and he agreed that they probably should because we just come back and bring more with us.

We've got the same kind of road trip to the airport as you have to the port so don't feel too put upon. :p We always fly out of Nashville rather than Memphis because it's like three times cheaper. Plus Southwest is so much more dependable. Anyway....

See ya soon. Glenn and Shane :D

Hi everyone,

Well we finally just booked yesterday. I had checked the website and couldn't believe that it was sold out already. Called Aquafest and they were able to get us a cabin through RCCL, I just wish that I had booked earlier could have saved some money. Oh well, just looking forward to sailing with the group again. The fact that it is on the Mariner is great also as it is one of our favorite ships.

Looking forward to seeing everyone in October.

Have a great night,

Kent & Andy

Hi guys:

I'm so glad you got booked. I'm afraid there are going to be a lot of PO'd queens standing at the dock shaking their Halloween costumes because they waited too late. I try to post info like the ship filling up to my Yahoo group if I hear of it. I can't remember at the moment whether you're members of the group or not but you're certainly free to go out and join. (This applies to everyone)

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/aquafestcruises/

If you know of anyone you think might be interested in the cruise please let them know!!! , so they won't have a frowny face like this, :mad: :confused: :mad: :confused: when they go to book.

I know that we only met briefly last year before dinner one night but I hope we get to know you both better this cruise.

Take care and we'll see ya in October, Glenn and Shane

I can't believe that they are basically sold out already. We didn't book last year until (about) 2 months before.

Gregg, I think you looked flawless in a burka.. Don't change! Congrats on loosing the weight. I just got over a sinus infection last month and was in bed for several days and not eating for several more. After it was all over, I was down 6 pounds. I highly recommend a sinus infection for those last pesky pounds!!

Hey FK welcome. Don't worry about the "hets". Last year I heard thru the grapevine that there was one disparaging comment made, but I never saw any of it. After our DJ Michael closes up in the evenings (1-2ish) we would head over to the main disco (open til around 5ish), and all the late night (straight) revelers and us gay guys got on fine. Nothing says bonding like your 6th rum and coke!

Dan and Gary, where are you????

Hi group I am checking in.

Kenth59 and I live on the North side of Fort Worth, Texas. We have been on 3 previous Aquafest cruises....this will be our 2nd Halloween. Kent is a massage therapist and I work for Saks 5th Ave Outlet as the Assistant Mgr.

Last month we were on RSVP out of Fort Lauderdale (1st all gay for us). I booked a hotel precruise through priceline....long story short we got a bad 1 star for what I could have paid for a gay resort. So in the future my hubby will be making the arrangements. We have a RCCL Mediterranean cruise booked for this Fall that I am checking prices on....if prices go down we will move it to May or July.

We will be flying in early if we can. I too, would like to go to Disney or Universal. We would like to join up with your group which ever place you go to. If others are taking their walkie-talkies on the ship we will take ours....Mariner is a "big" ship. Last time we were on the Mariner the group of cruise critics took walkies and met up for the ice show and went dancing and to the quest show. Kent booked us a balcony midship on deck 9.

Loran & Gary were our tablemates last year; we have not heard if they can make it again this year. They had been renevating their church up North and bought a Winter condo in Austin last month.

We will see if Nancy joins up with the group again this year.

Kansas boys, Dan & Gary and grandson have not logged on to chat yet. Must be planting season.

Glenn & Shane hope the family and work is going well.

Hi again to past cruisers and welcome newbies.

Andy "txfab

andybar10@hotmail.com

:D OK folks, we've been discussing taking some pre cruise time to visit Disney or Universal. I called Kathy to ask her if Aquafest had negotiated any hotel or resort deals and she told me that she had recieved something not 30 minutes before. Aquafest has negotiated deals with two great Sheraton resorts: Sheraton Vistana Resort and the Sheraton Vistana Villages Resort. Both look really nice and the rates are great. There is a promo code to get the special rate. Everything is out there on Aquafest's website.

So which resort does everybody like??? What does everybody think??

Glenn

We are still having to wait another week or so on booking our flight and hotel. Kent's middle-daughter is graduating from nursing assistant school in AZ in October. We maybe fllying there and then back to Orlando to get on the ship.

US Air has some good bargins on "flights and hotel" combos such as the Double tree Universal for 3 nights at $333 and the International Resort (formally Sherton World Resort) at $339. I would just have to see if I could change the return flight home to a week later. These are one stop flights through Charolette. On thing folks don't use priceline name your price if you are as dumb as me!

Andy

OK, I've tried booking both hotels via internet and by calling. I

still can't get the rate Aquafest is advertising with the code. I've

called and leftthem a message. Maybe they'll get things worked out soon.

Hi Folks,

I tried using the link last night from the Aquafest website to reserve a 'Villa'. When I went to reserve a 1 bedroom in the Village the 119.00 rate populated the screen. You may want to give it another try.

I called the resort yesterday and they told me that there is free transportation to and from all of the Disney parks. The lady also said that they have transportation available to Universal Studios. The cost is $11.00 per person and it is for a round trip.

Only seven months from yesterday until we set sail.

OK, I've tried booking both hotels via internet and by calling. I

still can't get the rate Aquafest is advertising with the code. I've

called and leftthem a message. Maybe they'll get things worked out soon.

The problem that many of us were having earlier getting the Aquafest

price at the two recommended hotels has been rectified by

Sheraton/Starwood. Aquafest got with them bright and early to correct

the problem. It was not Aquafest's mistake but Sheraton/Starwood's.

That's what I figured. Please stop calling poor Tom now, he had

nothing to do with this.

Archived