Refrigerators

mike35

I'm an outspoken advocate of Oceania, and I tout its special niche in the cruise industry to anyone who will listen. A close friend of mine, who goes on two or three cruises a year, told me today that based on my praise, she and a friend booked an Insignia cruise later this year. I was thrilled for her and confirmed my love of Oceania. When she told me she had booked a cabin on deck 4, we discussed the amenities that she would receive. When I mentioned that she wouldn't have a refrigerator in her room, she was incredulous! She said that she had NEVER sailed on any cruise where there wasn't a refrigerator, and she even talked of canceling her cruise.

I know this shortcoming has been discussed on previous threads, but I just wanted to revisit it. My hope is that during future drydocks, all cabins - not just concierge - will have refrigerators installed.

Mike

I agree with you Mike that such a simple addition would make a 14 day cruise much more tolerable for people.

Many will carry meds that need to be kept cool as well as the usual reasons for having one in the cabin.

I believe the space is there and when buying 350 for one ship I would assume they could get a great deal.

Brian

Totally agree, Mike, and as I mentioned in another post, the anticipated profits from minibar sales in each added cabin should be enough to pay for the installation and even provide a profit -- why else would most other ships have installed them in every category of cabin? I think Oceania is missing a bet.

My guess is they are reluctant to install refrigerators in Category B and lower because they will find it more difficult to justify the higher price for Category A.

My guess is they are reluctant to install refrigerators in Category B and lower because they will find it more difficult to justify the higher price for Category A.

Agreed. The only reason we book "concierge" is the fridge (DW loves her cold Diet Cokes). We certainly don't need any more canvas tote bags, slippers, etc.

Mike

Quote When I mentioned that she wouldn't have a refrigerator in her room, she was incredulous! She said that she had NEVER sailed on any cruise where there wasn't a refrigerator, and she even talked of canceling her cruise.unquote

We were on HAL's Ryndam in an Outside Cabin in Nov. & did not have a fridge..Believe only HAL's Vista Class & the "Prinsendam" has a fridge in every cabin..

However, we could have rented a fridge on the "Ryndam" for $2.00 per day which we chose not to do...

Betty

When I was on the Insignia last year (Catagory B1), there was no fridge. In the middle of the cruise, they left a comment card in the room and I wrote that each cabin should have one. I received a call from the front desk a few hours later, offering to bring one to the cabin. I would have taken them up on the offer, but there is no place to put one that would not get in the way of walking around. When they refurbish the cabins in the future, I hope they would build one into a cabin, like in the catagory A's.

As a luxury line, l was surprised that a fridge would be considered an upgraded ammenity, as they as standard on almost all of the more budget lines.

Archived