Public Beach Showers before boarding plane?

missourihusker

The last day on Oahu after our cruise, a morning of touring Pearl Harbor, and then spending beach time on the north shore, we just don't want to get on a plane for 8 hours overnight returning to U.S. without freshening up. Any suggestions on where on Oahu we can find a suitable facility to shower and feel clean beore our 10:30 p.m. flight?

:) BEACHCHICK I NEED SOME ADVICE---THANKS!!!!

I have a great idea - do you have a fitness/gym membership? 24-hour Fitness, Gold's gym, and the Y have outlets in Honolulu, even near Waikiki. Also, many national chains have "affiliate" clubs where you can use another gym in another state. You should check with your club, or even call one of the Honolulu clubs to see if they have "day" passes, or even free trial memberships (24-Hour fitness has a free 2 week trial coupon on their website). Some of these gym's don't have showers so call first.

Here's a list of gym's in Honolulu:

24H Fitness (seven locations)

Clark Hatch Fitness Center

Curves for Women

Gold's Gym

Hawai'i Academy

Hawaii Athletic Club

Honolulu Club

Kailua Fitness

Kailua Gym

Spa Fitness Center (two locations)

Taerobix

YMCA

npeters: That is an excellent idea because there simply aren't indoor, hot shower facilities open to the public.

When beaches or parks are listed as having "showers," those showers are the outdoor, cold rinse-off showers for those coming off the beach.

Hotels in Hawaii don't typically offer day rates, but you could book an inexpensive (read: nowhere close to the beach or anything fun) hotel, check in, shower and so forth, and check out.

Post number 4 on this thread is about a place that might work for you:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=497590&highlight=airport+hotel

Otherwise, you're kind of out of luck.

beachchick

I have exactly the same question! I even got on the Travel Show on talk radio yesterday with Arthur Frommer. He said that the hotels in Waikiki had day rates widely available, but I've been trying to call some and that doesn't seem to be the case. I guess we need to get him on the boards here!

Anyway, so worst case, we take a cold shower with our bathing suits on and change in the rest room. Do you get in trouble if you use shampoo in the outdoor shower?

- Terri

I have exactly the same question! I even got on the Travel Show on talk radio yesterday with Arthur Frommer. He said that the hotels in Waikiki had day rates widely available, but I've been trying to call some and that doesn't seem to be the case. I guess we need to get him on the boards here!

Anyway, so worst case, we take a cold shower with our bathing suits on and change in the rest room. Do you get in trouble if you use shampoo in the outdoor shower?

- Terri

There's just no gentle way to put this: He's wrong.

That's a good question about the outdoor showers. They're really meant for a quick rinse to get off the salt and sand. I imagine that if there aren't other people waiting it might be okay. OTOH, I don't know about issues of shampoo/soap going into the water they use because I honestly don't know exactly how/where the water drains. We just rinse and go.

beachchick

:)

There's just no gentle way to put this: He's wrong.

That's a good question about the outdoor showers. They're really meant for a quick rinse to get off the salt and sand. I imagine that if there aren't other people waiting it might be okay. OTOH, I don't know about issues of shampoo/soap going into the water they use because I honestly don't know exactly how/where the water drains. We just rinse and go.

beachchick

:D I found the answer to my shower question before boarding plane. The answer is the SHOWER TREE just across from the Honolulu Int. Airport. I called and confirmed that they do have private rooms @ $8.18 and supply soap and shampoo and towels. They also have day rooms from 6-6 and 10-10. I have included this web site you can check out and call if you have any questions. We can now rest assured we'll fly home feeling clean and fresh.

http://www.insiderpages.com/b/3713613109

• 4 weeks later...

Archived