Carribbean Cruise - Port or Starboard for balcony cabin?

We are about to book a 7 day cruise on the Serenade of the Seas in April. The ship leaves from San Juan, then travels to St. Thomas, St. Martin, Antigua, St. Lucia and Barbados before the final day at sea.

We have never booked a cabin with a balcony before, but this ship has these cabins available on both the port/left and starboard sides of the ship.

Any one have a recommendation for us? My instinct is that as we travel south for the first 5 days or so, it might be best to have a port side cabin to see the approaching islands. Since we would have a 6:15 dinner, we would miss the sunsets from the starboard sides anyway.

Your thoughts?

Thanks,

Neil

I would be much more concerned about what is above the cabin, and somewhat concerned about what is under the choice cabins!

When we went to Alaska, we knew which side of the ship we wanted, but going to the various islands it doesn't matter that much.

Have a great trip!

We are about to book a 7 day cruise on the Serenade of the Seas in April. The ship leaves from San Juan, then travels to St. Thomas, St. Martin, Antigua, St. Lucia and Barbados before the final day at sea.

We have never booked a cabin with a balcony before, but this ship has these cabins available on both the port/left and starboard sides of the ship.

Any one have a recommendation for us? My instinct is that as we travel south for the first 5 days or so, it might be best to have a port side cabin to see the approaching islands. Since we would have a 6:15 dinner, we would miss the sunsets from the starboard sides anyway.

Your thoughts?

Thanks,

Neil

When it comes to docking, the ships dock different ways each time pending on if there are other ships in port before you, when they and you are leaving port...etc When you pass by some other sights such as the Pitons in St Lucia and passing Monserrat (volcano), the captain does a 360 with the ship so everyone can see these sights very well. I didnt think about when you head south, but I guess that could be a factor. After Barbados is a sea day and you'll pass close to some other islands too. We loved this cruise....Im sure you will too.

I was on the Serenade in November. We were in a port side balcony. I will say, the captain did NOT do a 360 past the Pitons, so starboard passengers did not get the great view I did! However, I understand they normally do the 360. Either side is fine. I've been on both. Some port we docked portside, some starboard. So they're equally good.

Archived