Shipwreck snorkle from shore?

Giventofly

I'm on a severe budget for next week's cruise, and DW and I were considering walking to the wreck of the Cali, which aparently is in 15 feet of water, and only a 10 minute walk from the tender pier.

Has anyone ever done this?

Here's a couple of links I've found that tell about it:

http://www.infohub.com/outfitters/833.html

http://caymanislandsdiscounts.com/OffshoreSnorkeling.htm#GTCali

I wish I had seen this last week before gladtofly's cruise.

We were there two weeks ago and did two very good shore snorkles. The first, walk about ten minutes to the left of the cruise terminal to Cheeseburger Reef. It is directly past Burger King. Pretty secluded, we were the only ones there plus some men fishing from the pier. You have to have your own eqipment and fins. We swam quite a ways out right there where the cruiseships and dive boats are. There were some huge tarpon, a good reef system and many colorful smaller fish. The Cali wreck was a long ways, accessed by Cemetary Beach, which is all closed off by fence now. We were in the water at least an hour and had some stong currents to swim back against.

If I could do it again, I would let the current take us to the righ, or swim to the right instead of out into the open bay. The reef to the right looked amazing, but we didn't discover that until we were getting out.

The second snorkle was at Eden Roc. Walk about ten minutes to the right of the cruise ship terminal and you will come right to it. There's a restaurant, bar and dive shop there. It really is about the best snorkling and the reef is amazing - again, you have to swim quite a ways out to the bouy.

In between, we took a cab/van to seven mile beach. The taxi rates have gone up to $5pp.

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there beach @ Eden Rock where you could relax between snorkels and spend the entire day? How long approximately does it take to get to Cemetary Beach from Eden Rock or the pier and the average cost? Is there an admission fee @ Cemetary Beach As many are, I'm on a budget and want to maximize the day. I'm going the week of 4/8/07. Thank you for your replies.

Clarifying one point. The wreck of the Cali is NOT at Cemetery Beach.

There is no beach at Eden Rock. It is quite close to the cruise tender docks adn teh rest of downtown.

There is never an admission charge just to access the beach. There may be charges to use facilities (beach chairs, towels, hotel facilities, lockers, etc...) and private property owners may restrict access across their properties in reaching the beach.

Well.....8 foot seas prevented us from entering the water at either eden rock or the Cali. The ship couldn't even tender in Georgetown....we had to go to south bay, clear on the other side of the island.

We snorkled right there, 20 feet from the tender lane.....it was amazing!

Side note....on sundays, there's not much open in georgetown, as far as shops go.

Sargent -

Great pics. You really did a terrific job with locations and photos. Appreciate the time it must have taken you. Thanks.. Helped me out. Now I know I don't want to climb down that ladder. :)

Loved the fish photos - what kind of camer did you use if you don't mind me asking.

:p

That is zydecocruiser's website. He has this info on the cameras: "Number 1 asked question is about cameras... I mostly use a Canon S1 IS above and below water (with optional waterproof case). Unfortunately discontinued. Backup camera is an even more discontinued Canon s230 and also have a waterproof case for it. Canon does still offer lots of cameras with "affordable" waterproof cases. Nikon and Olympus are also popular brands. Also use Photoshop Elements as fix it software. UPDATE: I used a Canon A710 IS for all pics for the Carnival Freedom Inaugural Cruise March 5-14, 2007 "

Awesome post Sargent!

Question...and if it has been covered please forgive me......BUT...the ship wreck...is that by the burger king?? How far out to see it? Are there lost of people wanting to snorkel out at the same time??

And the other one Eden Rock....it's free right?? And you see Parrot Head fish...??

Thanks!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Cheeseburger Reef is by the Burger King (go figure). The wreck of the Cali is offshore from Hammerheads Bar/Restaurant. There can be a number of people (it is a cruise ship destination) or almost nobody when the tours aren't around. The tours can by from boats or from the shore. Carnival will happily sell you something you can do on your own. http://www.carnival.com/ShoreExcursionDetails.aspx?portcode=CAY&excursionname=Shore+Snorkel+Experience&excursioncode=417015 A snorkeling guide: http://caymanislandsdiscounts.com/OffshoreSnorkeling.htm

• 2 weeks later...
I am trying to find the Cali Shipwreck site on a map. Can anyone tell me where I might find this or what landmarks are nearby?

Download a map from here:

George Town

Cali is just offshore from Hammerheads (#6).

Eden Rock is near Paradise Restaurant (#30)

Most tenders dump the passengers off near Breezes (#33)

Here is a snorkel map link. My wife and I have personally snorkeled Cemetary Beach (very good) and Eden Rock (just OK). Cheeseburger reef is not bad and easy to get to. All of these are free and cab fares are small. Here is the link http://www.caymanislandsdiscounts.com/OffshoreSnorkeling.htm.

I can send photos if anyone wants them. E-mail me at 2020travel@numail.org.

Kelly

Archived