The Dreaded Formal Night Attire Question

Editor

By the way, I'm not looking for people's personal views here, just what you've seen on past Princess cruises.

Good point of clarification. The cruise snobs attack like army ants when someone asks about testing the boundaries of formal night.

I asked in another thread and will ask in this one. Why do people care if others don't meet your "formal" standard? How does it take away from your experience?

Probably not, but you might feel out of place.

If he is turned away, you can simply go to one of the buffets. But the only time I ever saw anyone turned away from the dining room was an elderly man who wandered in with nothing but a bathing suit on an NCL cruise. I think the poor guy was lost. But he was whisked out very quickly - twice.

But then again - NCL is casual, maybe he thought it was okay.

There is a current post on this board about a man turned away in shorts - that is probably as strict as Princess would get.

Just a quickie question.

Is a shirt and tie okay for my hubby on formal nights (with a pair of dress slacks)? Will he be turned away? By the way, I'm not looking for people's personal views here, just what you've seen on past Princess cruises.

I'll disagree with others based on what I've seen during 18 Princess cruises. Yes, it would be O.K.

Is that the suggested dress attire? No

Will he be turned away? I highly doubt it unless the ship is very strict and if he is nicely dressed most just turn their heads and ignore what they see.

Should he bring a sports coat? Yes

Will the majority be in tux? Probably between 20-70%

Will the others have a coat and tie? Yes 21-100%

The big questions are:

Will he feel uncomfortable based on those facts?

Will the ship insist on a coat & tie and deny entry to the dining room which will then make you very unhappy?

Just a quickie question.

Is a shirt and tie okay for my hubby on formal nights (with a pair of dress slacks)?

Thanks!

I've been on 3 Princess cruises and I've see everything in the dining room on formal night except for shorts (i.e. tee shirts and jeans, polo shirts and jeans, to cowboy shirts). Princess doesn't seem to overly enforce their formal night attire as some of the other lines. If your husband wears dress slacks, a nice shirt and tie, he shouldn't have any problems with the dining room, except for the "fashion police" on the boards:p .

Alan:cool:

Hey everyone -- the OP asked a similar question a couple of months ago and the thread got shut down.

I don't usually respond to these questions, but good grief, the same question/statement on something he/she asked already and the thread got so out of hand it was shut down! Why are we asking and responding again (at least if it were someone different, it would be acceptable, but the same OP)? It's ridiculous!!! And to clarify (justify), I opened this thread because when I saw the title of it and the OP's name, I thought "hmm, didn't this get answered once for this person?" So I opened it and clicked on the OP's name and double checked his/her previous posts and lo and behold, there it was!

Why???????

(Off my soap box now - sorry.)

cruizin2paradise, Really? You've got a good memory. At least all the posters so far have been calm and rational. lol

Memory's not too good most of the time (I've got kids ya' know), but it was just one of those things. And you are right, so far it's been calm and rational, but I guess, if you've asked once, why do it again? Kind of looks like a game and maybe the OP isn't serious, just wants to get everyone riled (is that really a word) up. Just my opinion.

Editor: Unfortunately when someone brings up formal wear it is a very sensitive subject around here. I would recommend that you go to the Princess site. All information is there. It is a very, very hot topic around here. In fact there is now 3 formal wear threads going on right now. Also I would suggest doing a search. I am really trying to be helpful here. O.K.

Marilyn

Archived