Family Cruise?

Rflelv2

So as always my husband wants me to book a vacation with the kids for next Christmas. We have avoided cruises in the past because we felt our kids where to young to appreciate it. Now that they are 11, and 14 we feel it is time. Any suggestions on a good family cruise?

So as always my husband wants me to book a vacation with the kids for next Christmas. We have avoided cruises in the past because we felt our kids where to young to appreciate it. Now that they are 11, and 14 we feel it is time. Any suggestions on a good family cruise?

Do you mean itinerary-wise or ship-wise?

Ship-wise - I think you are probably better off on the 'newer' ships with kids (more facilities). By 'newer' I mean the ones built since 2000.

Itinerary-wise - probably any caribbean itinerary that does not involve more than 2 "sea days" in a seven day cruise. - Strictly my opinion.

We went on Disney cruises last year with the kids. The boat was fine, overall the food was good. Our friend just came back from the Norwegian Pearl. They have two young teenagers, and they said their kids had a blast. If I were you I would check out The Pearl. I’m not sure of the price range you are looking for but Norwegian has a bunch of boats during Christmas time, so I’m sure you can find something. Good luck.

I've cruised with a large group of families for a couple of years now, all on Carnival. The kids range in ages from 12 to 18 and they all have fun. We'll be trying NCL for the first time this year. We travel at spring break time but must holidays you will find lots of families on the larger lines. What ever you choose - enjoy!!!!

My kids are 21, 19, 16 and 8. They all loved RCL's Explorer last year and DD (8 y.o.) preferred the Dream. The bigger, newer ships have more bells and whistles than the older ships. We have done Western Caribbean both times and the kids love it for the snorkeling and other excursions (also to practice their Spanish). I haven't done Disney so maybe I am speaking out of line here but people tell me it's better for kids younger than yours. We are hoping to do Majesty from Boston to Bermuda this summer without kids and then RCL's Jewel of the Seas next March with the younger kids.

Barb

I think your family will have an absolutely fabulous time on a Christmas cruise. There will be tons of kids and teens on anyone of the ships that you choose from. Carnival and Royal Caribbean seem to be a real favorite. My friends loved the Carnival Elation and the Mariner of the Seas.

I also read a review of the Noordam (Holland America) written by a teenage girl from 12/06. Read it, I think her impressions are a good gage. A 17 year old girl told me that she loved Holland America because of the terrific teen hangout. I believe they were on the Noordam also. She mentioned hammocks that were "awesome".

I would pick a newer ship with the "bells and whistles" and get the best price.

RCCL Voyager Class and Freedom Class ships. Loads of things to do for kids.

I agree with this! These RCCL ships are great and have so much for kids that age. If you don't go that route, I'd go with one of the newer, bigger Carnival ships.

My friends loved the Carnival Elation and the Mariner of the Seas.

Mariner yes, Carnival Elation for their first cruise, no. I just took Carnival Elation while I am waiting to go on RCCL Freedom of the Seas. It was a nice short trip. A nice little ship. But not the best out there. The cheapest though, no doubt. :D

Archived