Road beyond Hana

cruisepal48

Does anyone know if the road past Hana is open yet? I know some of it is open. I would like to go all the way around if I can. I hear the back side of Haleakala is something to see. Thanks

I have not heard yet if it had reopened after the earthquake. I have done the trip twice, it is a sight to see.

Have fun on your trip this weekend! :)

I've been trying to find this out as well.

According to the Maui County Highway Division road report THERE ARE CURRENTLY NO ROAD CLOSURE NOTICES POSTED AT THIS TIME.

According to Wizard Publication's Maui Revealed update page

Road Past Hana: The temporary bridge at Paihi is now open and so is Oheo Gulch / 7 Sacred Pools. You can drive past the park until 1/2 mile past the 40 mile marker. The road is closed between here and Kaupo because of the danger of rock slides. The county is still assessing this danger and making plans to strengthen the walls and cliffs above the road in this area. No time frame set for opening. So if doing the Road to Hana, you still can't go all the way around.

I'm waiting until a few days prior to my departure (or perhaps until I get to Oahu prior to boarding) to call them to find out the official word unless someone knows beforehand.

Yes, I've looked at those sites too. Its unclear if they're open. I guess I'll find out when I get there huh:confused: I was hoping someone who had been there recently would know. I leave in 3 days so not much longer to go.

Thanks for replies.

I was there two weeks ago and the road is closed just past the Oheo Gulch parking lot. They did open it briefly but decided the temporary bridge wasn't secure enough. The locals aren't sure when it'll be open again.

I was there two weeks ago and the road is closed just past the Oheo Gulch parking lot. They did open it briefly but decided the temporary bridge wasn't secure enough. The locals aren't sure when it'll be open again.

Thanks, I be there Wed this next week, so I guess I'll have to see then.:confused:

Archived