booking a hotel through cruise line

Hello. In my opinion NO! We were on a cruise out of Galveston and booked a pre cruise stay with Carnival at a local Hotel. Going through Carnival it was almost double the price. It pays to shop around. Keep reading the "East Coast Departures" link. Lots of great info here. You can also get area info on Ft. Lauderdale from the visitors bureau (free).

We're cruising out of Ft. Lauderdale in January 08 and have reserved the Sleep Inn at Dania Beach. There are also many other excellent choices in Ft. Lauderdale.

It's way too expensive to book through the cruiseline. BUT you can book the hotel they use, if you want, through the hotels website. Cruiseline tends to charge you what would amount to the room rate per person instead of per room (example - Princess would charge $200 per person for the hotel but you can book the hotel for $200 for the room - 1 -4 people).

Check out tripadvisor.com to get opinions from users on hotels in the area you are visiting.

Normally I would probably agree to book on your own but we booked with Princess for our pre-cruise night. We are staying at the Renaissance in Plantation for $69 pp. This includes our transportation from the airport and to the port. We leave this weekend and there was no way we could touch the Renaissance on our own for $138 per night including transportation. The transportation is a big deal, since there are 4 of us and we are arriving at 12:30 A. M. and that would mean 2 cabs or a limo service. This is one time where Princess really saved us some money.

mollyanne:)

We just got back from a cruise to the Bahamas out of Miami. We took the pre-cruise package through Royal Caribbean. We paid $69.00 per person, which included our hotel and complete round-trip transfers from the airport to the hotel, from the hotel to the pier and from the pier to the airport upon return. With RC, you don't find out what hotel you are staying at, until a month or so before the trip. I think they were going to put us in a Holiday Inn Express. For an extra $60.00 (total, not each) we were upgraded to a 4 Star Marriott in Miami at Bayside. Then, for NO EXTRA CHARGE, we were upgraded to a 5-star JW Marriott in Downtown Miami, which on Expedia goes for $450.00 per night. So, for us, it was a great deal! :)

I've booked twice thru RCCL and never again- I paid almost twice the rate I could have obtained from the hotel or online.

For Ft Lauderdale take a look at valutrips.com- I've used them with great rates. Last time there I stayed at Amerisuites for $69 per night,it was a good deal as that included breakfast for 3 of us,transportation from the airport and then to the pier.

Renaissance is one hotel that I see highly rated on the FLL topic board.

If you have any question re FLL start a thread 'Question for Bequia'

on E Coast departures board- she is a local resident who can tell you all you need to know about the area.

Archived