Just back from Grand Cayman... Royal Palms

QTMichele

Grand Cayman is a tendered port. The tenders rocked and rolled while we held on for dear life. I can see how Grand Cayman is easily cancelled as a port of call.

Once on land, we shopped for a few souvenirs, and then found a taxi-bus to take us to Royal Palms. Royal Palms is located near the beginning of Seven Mile Beach. The value is quite good for this island with free entry and $5 chair rentals. The beach was nice with views of the cruise ships, but slightly rocky entering the clear water. We had no problems finding available lounge chairs near the water. Umbrellas were available too; however, I believe they were available at an extra cost. The employees were not overly gracious, but they did their jobs and sold my husband a $7 Corona.

Margaritaville was next on our list to visit while in Grand Cayman. Two “perfect margaritas” each and $42 dollars later, Jason and I were popping balloons on their stage. We had a great time and some big laughs!

526524-R1-23-22A_024.jpg.054bd3d27b2ab482fc272139e85d55d2.jpg

526524-R1-21-20A_022.jpg.894714603581e32c5e81bca1378654f3.jpg

Did they charge $4.00 pp? Was it easy to get one when you were ready to leave/

Thanks for the tips!

The taxis were $4 per cab; however, they are more expensive the further you go. For 7 Mile Beach you shouldn't pay more the $6 or so. There are cabs all over at the port. We walked around town for a little while (wanted to find a post office - which we did! - to mail postcards to our girls) before going to the beach. There is an area by a water fountain where they linger to pick you up, but, in my opinion, it's easier to get them right at the port.

Read my reviews and see the photos I posted. I guess it just depends on what time you arrive and how many ships were in port.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=9350724#post9350724

We wish we had gone to Margaritaville, but forgot all about it as it was not in GC the last stop we made. We loved it in Ocho Rios! ;)

Read my reviews and see the photos I posted. I guess it just depends on what time you arrive and how many ships were in port.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=9350724#post9350724

We wish we had gone to Margaritaville, but forgot all about it as it was not in GC the last stop we made. We loved it in Ocho Rios! ;)

WOW! Isn't it funny that we can have such different experiences? I guess a lot of it depends on the luck of the draw. We had 4 ships in port that day, but we went the week after President's Week (winter break for many northern kids) and before spring break so maybe we had a slow week? As for the beach itself, from what we saw I thought it was a good beach break for a few hours, but it wasn't really "my" kind of beach. I like the resort style beaches the best (who doesn't?! lol). Most of the beaches we went to at the different ports had the 'cruise ship catering beach' feel to them - not really a 'bad' thing, but not what I would consider ideal.

I would love to see Sea Grape (we were going to go there, but I forgot the name of it once we get into port! haha) - does anyone have pictures?

It is funny!

I just read a bad review on the Hyatt, when I have read nothing but good.

I would like to see Sea Grape or Rum point, but unless we do the stingrays or Margaritaville again, I think we will just stay on the ship and enjoy peace and quiet. ;)

AH... peace and quiet... I'm going to have to go on another CRUISE to get that! :)

I've read several reviews too about the Hyatt (I read the "bad" review too), but most that I've read say that they do prefer cash. Wonder why that is??? I can't help but think that someone is pocketing the money... who knows?

Archived