Pride of Hawaii worst cruise I've ever taken

grey911

Everything the OP wrote might be taken to be "little things," but isn't a cruise made up of little things? If I were on such a careless cruise, with no attention given to the "little things" that we all love, no matter how trivial or sentimental, I would feel a pit in the middle of my stomach.

You have a point. All the little things can make a cruise. Here's my point, Getting upset over little things can break a cruise.

Let's take the immediate correction example and discuss it further.

What other way can management correct little things that go wrong? There may not be time later to correct it, and if that mistake is allowed to continue, how many other passengers would feel they were getting lousy service?

Space aboard cruise ships is limited, and every manager doesn't have an office to correct their workers in privacy. I would think immediate correction upon discovering the mistake is the correct thing to do, even in front of passengers, aboard a cruise ship.

I wasn't there, and maybe the manager could have corrected the worker more discretely, but I expect managers to manage full time, and take immediate corrective actions when required. How else will service be improved?

So, the OP criticizes NCLA for lousy service, and criticizes management for trying to correct it. I don't believe that is fair to NCLA.

We have all read the reports that many of the crew are young and inexperienced. They will make mistakes that need correcting. The service industry requires on the job training. Which also means on the job correction.

You have a point. All the little things can make a cruise. Here's my point, Getting upset over little things can break a cruise.

Let's take the immediate correction example and discuss it further.

What other way can managment correct little things that go wrong?

There may not be time later to correct it, and if that mistake is allowed to continue, how many other passengers would feel they were getting lousy service? Space aboard cruise ships is limited, and every manager doesn't have an office to correct their workers in privacy. I would think immediate correction upon discovering the mistake is the correct thing to do, even in front of passengers, aboard a cruise ship.

I wasn't there, and maybe the manager could have corrected the worker more discretely, but I expect managers to manage full time, and take immediate corrective actions when required. How else will service be improved?

So, the OP criticizes NCL for lousy service, and criticizes management from trying to correct it. I don't believe that is fair to NCLA.

We have all read the reports that many of the crew are young and inexperienced. They will make mistakes that need correcting. The service industry requires on the job training. Which also means on the job correction.

There is also a time and place for dealing with your associates and doing it in front of guests is not the place. That is demeaning. Anyone that has ever managed other people should know that. Show your associates some respect and pull them aside and let them know what they are doing wrong and how to correct it but do it in a postive way and you will get a heck of a lot better results.

I have also seen not being able to make the shows in many negative reviews. The OP says they ate at 8 PM. If it takes more than two hours, in their case two and a half hours. and the final show starts at 9:30 PM, I would start dining before 7 PM. It does not take a rocket scientist to figure this out. Or if the first show starts at 7:30 PM and the show ends in about an hour, I would see the first show and dine afterwards at 8:30 PM. Why do people expect a square to fit into a round hole? Flex to the cruise ship, not expect the cruise ship to flex to them....

There is also a time and place for dealing with your associates and doing it in front of guests is not the place. That is demeaning. Anyone that has ever managed other people should know that. Show your associates some respect and pull them aside and let them know what they are doing wrong and how to correct it but do it in a postive way and you will get a heck of a lot better results.

I will not disagree. If you will note, I did write

I wasn't there, and maybe the manager could have corrected the worker more discretely

I will never cruise with NCL again.

How can you say this when you haven't ever cruised with NCL. The line you sailed on is not NCL. I think you've been misinformed.

I've sailed with NCL 9 times (10th cruise is just 2 weeks away) and I've never been disappointed. With all the negative reviews I've read about Hawaii, I doubt I'd ever trie an NCLA cruise. Besides, Hawaii is not a favorite of mine.

Anyway, I hope you come to accept that NCLA and NCL are not one and the same. Sorry you didn't enjoy yourself. That's a real shame. Try NCL... you'll have a nice itme I think.

I'm just going to have to take one of these cruises myself. I've met one older couple who went on the Pride of Aloha, first year of operation, veteran cruisers, all lines and said it was the best cruise and service ever. Had another lady in my office last week been on over 20 cruises and said the Pride of America was also the best cruise she's ever been on in regards to service and food. Had one couple who thought it was so so.

It's kind of funny, I have clients who hate Carnival and Royal Caribbean, because of a lot of things that people complain about NCL about. Had one guy compare the Princess Ship he was on with a garbage barge. All lines have there complaints. As my instructor in the travel course I took long ago said, "There's no such thing as a bad cruise, just the wrong cruise."

I've been on several cruises and the one thing I don't understand is why people get mad when they don't see there cabin attendant? I've stayed at a lot of hotels in my life and could really care less if I ever see the maid. Do some people just enjoy the master servant relationship and enjoy having the guy or girl suck up for a tip.

Take care,

Michael

"The tipping policy is akward to with NCLA. Many who sail on her think the surcharge is paying the tips, thus the tips aren't forthcoming as other NCL ships. While minimum wage is a wonderful salary for an International crew, Americans won't make a career out of minimum wage jobs. "

I am new to NCL, going on my first NCL cruise next month, but am not new to cruising having done so for 30 years. I do not understand your comment on NCL's tipping policy. I was under the impression that the obligatory $10/day charge was a pooled tip for all the staff since it is "free style" cruising. I thought I read somewhere on the NCL website that additional tips were only expected for "exceptional" service. Could you please clarify? Thanks!

See what I mean. No wonder the crews leave in droves. From a Shoreguy post:

Big difference between NCL and NCLA (US flagged ships)

The resort charge on the Pride ships is not a tip pool. Not sure why they don't add it to the fare. It is there I think because the cruise public is used to paying into a tip pool and it allows them to flash sightly lower prices.

Thus there is no "suggested amount" to reduce since there is no tip pool only a fixed resort charge.

None of that money goes directly to the crew other then being another way to cover the high cost of US workers.

The only real tips will be those you hand directly to someone or add to a bar slip keeping in mind no tipping is expected but more then welcomed.

How highly paid are US workers. They are paid a union salary, over US minimum wage. Compare this salary to an international crew, many of whom don't earn $100 per month. Without tips, they couldn't afford a beer a day on any NCA ship.

Ameriican crews are paid a salary, not a very high American salary. International crews salaries are mostly tips, up to 80 percent.

Why can'tt Americans understand the differences of operating an American crew? There is a very high increase in salaries for Americans, and I stand on my statement before.

I can find many more posts confirming Shoreguy... A simple search filled my screen with threads.

I was under the impression that the obligatory $10/day charge was a pooled tip for all the staff since it is "free style" cruising. I thought I read somewhere on the NCL website that additional tips were only expected for "exceptional" service. Could you please clarify? Thanks!

That is correct. Your tip is automatically taken care of. You tip more as you feel is appropriate for the level of service you received. If you are in a butler or concierge category, then you tip them separately.

I have never reduced the tip and I have tipped extra - it depends on the level of service. NCL is my favorite cruise line. Everything is so simple. I do what I want when I want. Have never had trouble eating in a specialty restaurant, have never had horrible food.

I think you will enjoy NCL.

That is correct. Your tip is automatically taken care of. You tip more as you feel is appropriate for the level of service you received. If you are in a butler or concierge category, then you tip them separately.

I have never reduced the tip and I have tipped extra - it depends on the level of service. NCL is my favorite cruise line. Everything is so simple. I do what I want when I want. Have never had trouble eating in a specialty restaurant, have never had horrible food.

I think you will enjoy NCL.

That says it all...

Freestyle...do what you want, when you want AND tip additional when you want and what you want.

Simple and you will know what and how much to do;)

Thanks for the clarification. We too tip extra and have always had good reason to do so. We love cruising on X and HAL and I hope we will be adding NCL to our list of favorites as well.

I for one am tired of some of the remarks in and about here that "if you're taking an NCLA cruise to/from Hawaii, remember you're there to see Hawaii and shouldnt be overly concerned with the cruise portion of it." that's BS for many this trip is a major investment, a trip of a lifetime and bought because that's what it's portrayed as.....I love NCL.. absolutely love it. but am dismayed about what i read about the Pride lines.. why shouldnt one expect good service? I did a repo on RCCL Legend of the Seas from HNL to Ensenada.. (the road trip back to LAX really being the horror story)

We had story tellers, Frankie Avalon, hula dancers aboard over nights..we had a wonderful time ashore and aboard.. my point here, (not to run together in one paragraph..heh heh) is that you can do a Hawaiian cruise and enjoy the sights of Hawaii AND the "onboard" activities and dining while there.. NCLA has publicly admitted they have to address their operating loss (cost of 3 ships) and declining popularity in the Hawaiian market and I hope they find a way to fix it. (if they can)

I for one enjoy ALL reports good and bad for NCLA. I can take anything with a grain of salt. All the OP's do is report what happened to them and have the right of their opinion on these boards. If they say they won't sail NCL or NCLA again, let em..... their choice... their loss. As i said I love NCL.. i'm very anxious about my upcoming Pride of Aloha cruise in september.. and i will not.. repeat.. will not expect the worst.. or settle for less. just my opinion.

Weary Traveler

I for one am tired of some of the remarks in and about here that "if you're taking an NCLA cruise to/from Hawaii, remember you're there to see Hawaii and shouldnt be overly concerned with the cruise portion of it." that's BS for many this trip is a major investment, a trip of a lifetime and bought because that's what it's portrayed as.....I love NCL.. absolutely love it. but am dismayed about what i read about the Pride lines.. why shouldnt one expect good service? I did a repo on RCCL Legend of the Seas from HNL to Ensenada.. (the road trip back to LAX really being the horror story)

We had story tellers, Frankie Avalon, hula dancers aboard over nights..we had a wonderful time ashore and aboard.. my point here, (not to run together in one paragraph..heh heh) is that you can do a Hawaiian cruise and enjoy the sights of Hawaii AND the "onboard" activities and dining while there.. NCLA has publicly admitted they have to address their operating loss (cost of 3 ships) and declining popularity in the Hawaiian market and I hope they find a way to fix it. (if they can)

I for one enjoy ALL reports good and bad for NCLA. I can take anything with a grain of salt. All the OP's do is report what happened to them and have the right of their opinion on these boards. If they say they won't sail NCL or NCLA again, let em..... their choice... their loss. As i said I love NCL.. i'm very anxious about my upcoming Pride of Aloha cruise in september.. and i will not.. repeat.. will not expect the worst.. or settle for less. just my opinion.

Weary Traveler

I'll agree, we should expect better service from NCLA, at least, as good an experience as we get on NCL ships. But, from the majority of the reports we read, we shouldn't.

There is no magic formula that can be performed to fix the service aboard NCLA ships besides keeping the experienced workers they have trained. I'm afraid, that's going to require higher wages than what NCLA is paying today. That means higher fares if passengers aren't willing to tip extra.

Redeploying the Norwegain Sun to Miami next winter, vice keeping it in Hawaii should help the fare situtation, as well as having the Norwegian Wind depart later this spring.

As for the extra tips, that's up to us.

Sadly, I think it's the work ethic that is missing from the NCLA crew. Some are great while others are not. As far as I'm concerned any and all cruises should be unforgettable experiences on the pleasant side... not nightmarish.

It's a shame to spend that kind of money and not be treated like a king or queen. It's what you paid for. Food should be exceptional. Service should be over-kill. You should walk off that ship feeling like you've had the best experience of your life!

That's my opinion. That's why I will probably never sail NCLA. Too many horror stories whether true or not. I just won't spend my money there. I just wish NCLA had a different name so's not to be confused with NCL

Isn't it time for me to board yet?

This is taken directly from the Freestyle Daily of the Pride of Aloha dated January 14, 2007 (The first day of this cruise)

With all of these choices, one question is always asked: Whom do I tip? On an NCLA Cruise you have got several different Service Staff Members catering to your every need. A $10 per guest, per day gratuity is added to your onboard account and a portion of this charge is distributed to the Waiters, Waitresses, Room Stewarts and Stewartesses and the Housekeeping Staff here onboard m/s Pride of Aloha.

I wonder if the different reviews (possitive vs negative) have any relationship to the traveler's additional tipping or lack thereof. I am not saying additional tipping is needed. I would just like to know if maybe those that were better tippers did indead have better service and therefore had the better reviews.

We will be on POAm 4 weeks from today. This will be our first cruise. I am essentially using this as a floating hotel because I didn't want to deal with the time and stress of packing/unpacking and flights for our family of six.

I bring all of this up because we have been willing to pay fairly for our comfort and convenience. All of our land based vacations have been absolutely wonderful.

Having said all of this, is there a consensus that maybe additional gratuities directly to staff might eliminate some of the service issues?

My husband's motto is from Steve Martin in "My Blue Heaven" , "I tip everybody;) ".

Weary traveler, I think the idea that the ship is a floating hotel and to remember you are there to see Hawaii and the ship is secondary is because (at least with POH) the ship sails at night. For instance, one night that I remember the ship leaves one of the islands at 8 p.m. and then arrives at the next island at 7 a.m. Given all the on shore excursions I have planned, I believe by 10 p.m. I (at age 37) will be exhausted and sleeping, especially since the excursion the next day starts at 7:45 a.m.

i hear what you're saying spleen.. but i still have difficulty thinking as a "floating hotel".... the very point that i'll bet a good amount of the staff there are Hawaiian native.. what better chance to mingle and experience the culture (as if we're talking a foreign country here lol). my point made was that on my original trip there albeit only 7 days around the islands and 4 days at sea to Ugh-Ensenada... that the dining experiences, entertainment and lounges were equally rewarding and memorable. I just think its a shame that we can't count on an experience as 7seaslover puts it. I'd think we'd be calling it a "ferry" in lieu of a "floating hotel" lol but just the same, I'm keeping my fingers crossed and watching here for future reviews. I don't think Star Cruises, NCL, etc under the umbrella is going to stand too long for the reviews to get better, before taking action and watch NCLA become the Super8 of the cruise lines Again no malice meant just my opinion..

That's how I read it. Prepare for the worst, cause that's what you get. :confused: And then you won't be disappointed. :confused: :confused:

Sounds like a great ship!!

Got to love this quote: "I'm trying to figure out the complaint that makes it so bad. Rooms not turned down, ok. Slow food service, ok. Understaffed, ok. I understand how that can be difficult. Worst cruise ever though? Look at all the nice things she said!"

When I cruise I do expect my cabin turned down, efficient food service, and a well staffed ship. If not, what am I paying for? A small room?:confused:

I wonder if the different reviews (possitive vs negative) have any relationship to the traveler's additional tipping or lack thereof. I am not saying additional tipping is needed. I would just like to know if maybe those that were better tippers did indead have better service and therefore had the better reviews.

Having said all of this, is there a consensus that maybe additional gratuities directly to staff might eliminate some of the service issues?

It's NCLA's job to pay their staff. If it means a higher fare so be it. I'm sick of this tipping business because it's never ending and always they add more and more people to the list to tip. Charge me more and make it all inclusive and then these discusions can end and people will get paid for their service.

Thanks for all of the info. I was interested in NCL's Pride of Aloha or Pride of America mainly because I love Hawaii. After reading all of the reviews of NCLA, I think I will continue to do Hawaii the way I always do it. I'll fly there and enjoy the islands without the cruise.

The poster's review was fair and balanced, and she reported some major problems. Since she also posted the good stuff, people are using that to say "see, look how good it was," and they're completely ignoring her totally valid points. If you want to eat at 8 pm, you should be able to expect to be done by 9:30 unless you specifically want to linger over your meal. It is ridiculous to think it will take you 1 1/2 hours without even seeing your main entree. Try getting that kind of service in a land restaurant and see if you don't complain or walk out. On a cruise it's even worse, because you have no place else to go except another poorly managed dining room, and you can't refuse to pay for your meal.

Also, dressing down employees or discussing operating costs in front of passengers is, at best, tacky. It sounds like NCLA is completely below the standards of all other cruiselines I've been on, and if you're in the cruise ship business, you had better be prepared to offer competitive service. How embarrassing for us Americans that you get the worst service in the industry from an all American crew. I am horrified.

And I, by the way, love to meet my cabin steward. Oftentimes, they really help to make my cruise special by providing not just services but also a personal relationship. I don't think of them as just a "maid" or a "server". I think of them as "human beings" who are doing their best to provide me with a great experience, and since we are all living on the ship together for a week, I do like to know who they are. A cruise is different than a hotel experience, where you might have a different maid every day, and part of the appeal of cruising is getting to know the people who are there making your cruise great (or not so great, in this case).

I am curious. Is NCLA a subsidiary of NCL? I would like to try NCL, but I have seen such negative reviews (even from NCL cheerleaders) about NCLA that I want to make sure I will be having a different experience than what this poster had on the "Pride" of America. (sounds like it should be called the "Lack of Pride of America" from all of the reviews).

It sounds to me like if you really and truly could care less about your time on the ship, then NCLA is fine, but if you have reasonable expectations for service and cleanliness, you're best to go elsewhere.

Please enlighten me about the NCL/NCLA difference, and I hope to see some of you on an NCL cruise soon.

The simple answer is that the NCLA crews start pay is $6.50 an hour for forty hours in a week, plus time and a half overitme each week. International crews, for example bar waiters, earn $1000 a month, if they earn less in tips for a number of months, they are not resigned. If they earn more tips than the $1000 a month, they get to keep their extra tips.

American workers, guaranteed low salary. International workers, no tips means no job. A huge incentive difference. American workers have a wondeful US government labor laws backing them up, international workers don't.

I agree with 7seasLover.

I don't understanding the "pardoning" by some posters of the NCLA ships and crew just beacuse Hawaii is so great, so who cares about the ship and how pax are treated onboard :confused: When someone goes to great expense to take a cruise, they deserve a certain level of service and based on the threads I've seen, NCLA is falling way short. It's not a cruiseline I would choose. It's a shame that it is so easily confused with NCL, which is a great line....

Archived