Taxi Prices

OldCodger73

We've vacationed before in Puerto Vallarta and Ixtapa. We found that hotels there posted the correct taxi rates in their lobby. Do the cruise lines provide this information before each port stop or do they feel taxis are a competion to their tours?

They did not when I was there over the holidays. Everything is negotiable, even with posted rates. Most tour books, and the destination pages on this site, have approximate taxi fares. Use them as guides.

As I recall, the shopping lecture people mentioned taxi rates in a couple of the ports.

In Puerto Vallarta, we did just fine using the local bus to downtown and back, and in Zihua (we don't go to Ixtapa) we were fine with just walking.

gary

Speaking of Taxis in PV, I have a great story. We were in the old town on the other side of the river from the cruise terminal. Traffic, the day before New Year's eve was horrendous. We looked for a taxi to take us back to the ship. We only spent 50 pesos from the terminal area down, so that's what we wanted to spend going back. After getting many quotes, from 75 pesos ot 120 pesos, we finally found a taxi to take us back for 50. To avoid the traffic, and to cut probably 1 hour from the trip, he took us up into the mountains, through several tunnels, stopping for some spectacular views of PV and the bay and though some of the most interesting scenery you will ever see. I asked him why he went this way, and agreed to take us for considerably less than everyone else, he replied that he got more money for rides in the hotel zone near the terminal and was willing to take less to get us there. That taxi ride turned out to give us a view of the PV area that most do not see.

Frequently in early December that route has to be traveled because of the nightly processions, especially on weekends. We make sure to tip extra, because they don't charge extra, but they get fewer fares because of the extra time spent.

Archived