Don't Know What To Expect ?!?!?!??

911Muscles

Hello, My friends and I got this sudden idea to go on our first cruise ever in May this year. Only problem is I have NOOO idea what to expect or what to prepare for. I did a lot of research but only on carnivals website and im not sure if i should trust the companies website to inform me the right way. ( we made up our mind, its going to be carnival).

We (two couples, no kids, all 22-24 years of age) found a really good deal on carnivals "Triump" on May 12th for a 7 night western Carrabean cruise, only 467 per person. And 262.00 from SLC to miami...CHEAP~! or is it? I would be glad to pay more money in order to have a good time. Our plans are pretty much to just hang out by the pool and drink a LOT of beer (and the occasional "sex on the beach" but ofcourse ill say that it's for my wife :) , while the ladies go spend money shoping and being at the spa.

What else should I expect on a cruise?? I hear a lot of people saying that cruises are for older people and people who have kids, but its in may so school won't be out yet....

Any ideas or anything you would like to add about the ship we are going on, ? comments welcome.

Hello, My friends and I got this sudden idea to go on our first cruise ever in May this year. Only problem is I have NOOO idea what to expect or what to prepare for. I did a lot of research but only on carnivals website and im not sure if i should trust the companies website to inform me the right way. ( we made up our mind, its going to be carnival).

We (two couples, no kids, all 22-24 years of age) found a really good deal on carnivals "Triump" on May 12th for a 7 night western Carrabean cruise, only 467 per person. And 262.00 from SLC to miami...CHEAP~! or is it? I would be glad to pay more money in order to have a good time. Our plans are pretty much to just hang out by the pool and drink a LOT of beer (and the occasional "sex on the beach" but ofcourse ill say that it's for my wife :) , while the ladies go spend money shoping and being at the spa.

What else should I expect on a cruise?? I hear a lot of people saying that cruises are for older people and people who have kids, but its in may so school won't be out yet....

Any ideas or anything you would like to add about the ship we are going on, ? comments welcome.

Welcome to Cruise Critic and the Carnival board! Carnival's Web site is a good place to start, but this is the place to come for the most uptodate information.

I haven't been on the Triumph so I won't comment on the ship.

Are you two married couples? I ask because your ages could be a problem unless you're married.

The prices sound pretty good although I'm not sure about the airfare. I paid about that much roundtrip for airfare from KC to Ft. Lauderdale.

Cruising is for people of ALL ages! You may find some children on board as many are home schooled or are pulled out of school for vacation. Otherwise, you will most likely find a good mix of ages with people from all over.

There is so much to know about cruising that I don't even know where to begin. My first suggestion would be to read everything you can here then post specific questions if you can't find your answers through others' posts or a search.

Other than reading and asking questions, my best advice is to do your research thoroughly, plan ahead and remember common courtesy when dealing with your fellow passengers. They may not extend you that same courtesy, but that's the way it is.

Once you are booked on a specific date, check the rollcall forums here for your ship and sailing. It's a great way to get to know others before your cruise.

And prepare to be amazed! :)

Just a word of warning. Cruising is very addictive. I guarantee you will want to book another as soon as you get off the ship.

Are you going to be in Cozumel? If so Paradise Beach and Carlos and Charlie's is a must.

Have a great cruise.

I felt the same way on my first cruise, no one i knew had even been so i had no one to talk to it about.

You will find people of all ages on the ship, you can do as much or as little as you want, there are things for all ages to do.

read the capers every day to see what activities you may be interested in.

You will have great time! Cruising is WAY not for just old people....not at ALL!!!! We are 30-somethings....and we always have a blast....its huge fun...everything about it! The ship will amaze you, and the ocean, the islands, the food, the drinks, the excursions, etc. etc. etc. will all amaze you too!

Just expect a fairly decent sized bar tab...depending upon how much you drink by the pool!

Are you two married couples? I ask because your ages could be a problem unless you're married.

What problem do you foresee? THEY ARE ALL OVER 21 ;) ;) No problem at all, immaterial if they book single occupany, double occupancy or if they really wanna party, all four of them in ONE cabin! LOL :D :D

Go cruising Muscles and have fun!

What problem do you foresee? THEY ARE ALL OVER 21 ;) ;) No problem at all, immaterial if they book single occupany, double occupancy or if they really wanna party, all four of them in ONE cabin! LOL :D :D

Go cruising Muscles and have fun!

I was thinking they had to have someone 25 or older booked in each cabin or be married. You're right! It's 21.

I was thinking they had to have someone 25 or older booked in each cabin or be married. You're right! It's 21.

They only need a parent or guardian over 25 years in the same cabin if they are UNDER 21. If they are minor AND married, they can still book/travel together as a couple with proof of marriage presented at embarkation.

I like you Camptain!! my kind of (old) guy :) Ill buy you a cigar if I ever meet you....for the rest of you, WOW, thanks for all the reply, makes me feel better about going.

I am excited and I can't wait to just relax, leave work and be just a regular guy out there on the watters. Is it usually crowded on the ship and on the pool or is there always enought room for everyone ???

I like you Camptain!! my kind of (old) guy :) Ill buy you a cigar if I ever meet you....for the rest of you, WOW, thanks for all the reply, makes me feel better about going.

I am excited and I can't wait to just relax, leave work and be just a regular guy out there on the watters. Is it usually crowded on the ship and on the pool or is there always enought room for everyone ???

Thank you, young man! The captain always appreciate a fine Cuban stogie! Just keep in mind that you might get away with sex on the beach, I don't know about sex by the pool though! LOLOLOL :D

hystrybuf, I ain't telling my age! lolol :D

hey, also...is the ocean water going to be warm enough to swim in in may ??, lol ur gona make fun of my but im from Utah, i dont know much about the ocean.

Yes expecially if you are from Utah ( I mean that as us folks who suffer through the cold thinks it is quite warm to swim in)

Dont forget to stay on SHIP time or you could miss the boat!

Cruising is very addictive. Every year I say I'm going to book a land vacation and then call and book a cruise. Carnval has very diversive clientel. You will find all kinds. As others have said read all you can about where you are going. You will find great info and it will really help you. I really love researching my ports and planning. I'm a huge planner.

Take things with a grain of salt. You will find a few trolls around here just making posts and trying to stir up trouble.

Have fun and enjoy your first cruise.

People who have been on the Triumph will probably chime in with more specific answers. You can also go to the review section to see what others have written about their cruises on this ship.

In my experience on Carnival ships, certain places will be more crowded than others at certain times of the day. The Lido deck pool areas are very popular and it may be hard if not impossible to find a deck chair there during daylight hours. There are however other places with plenty of chairs. The buffet may be crowded during breakfast and lunch so be prepared to stand in line.

You will have assigned seating and an assigned time (please be on time) for dinner in the dining room. You will want to request a table size from your travel agent (TA) or whomever you book with eventually. Also request an early or late seating for dinner. Do this when you book! This will only be a request. You may get a small table for the four of you or you might want to try requesting a large table to meet others. The cruise line tries to seat people with others of about the same age, singles, couples and families. You won't know until you board what table you have been assigned. None of this is a given, either table size or time. If you receive something not as you requested, you can contact the Maitre D' at a time announced in the Capers (this will be in your cabin on embarkation day and every night after). The Maitre D' may or may not be able to reassign you or you may get exactly what you requested.

ok, the first time we cruised as a couple we were a little older than you, late 20's. We went with a whole bunch of friends.

We didn't plan anything. We just booked the cruise to have fun. We drank, we ate, we drank, we drank and we drank. We went to the beaches. We rented motorscooters and drove all over the place.

We went to the shows, we ate 24/7, we danced, we sat in the sun ----- oops they don't have that on carnival anymore :eek:

We had a blast!

So forget the planning. Just go enjoy your vacation.

When you step off the ship in port, go to the beach. Go swim. the carribean sea will be wonderful. Planning is for old people ;) And that's why now I plan.

Besides, I bring kids your ages with me...lol

have a great vacation!

mary

Get to the pool early to get a chair. Otherwise they are hard to find. You might run into chair hogs. There are alot of them around the pool areas. Once you cruise, you will want to book again. Its so wonderful.

The food is great.

Check the other boards about the excursions. There are alot of helpful tips.

Fly in a day early if you can.

Enjoy your cruise and have fun. :cool:

I took my first cruise 5 years ago and was hooked. My 21 year old daughter said "yeah, for you it's fine" but she took a cruise the next year with our ladies bunco group - the Spirit - and figured it out! Cruising is whatever you want it to be. Wild and crazy or relaxing or boring. But there is no excuse for boring - because there is always something to do when you cruise - even it's watching the ocean go by. It is definitely addicting! We leave for our 2nd Ladies Bunco cruise in 41 days! If your ship has a Supper Club check it out - if there's a bar there go check it out. I wish we had. We spent the last night of our '07 Spirit Cruise in the Supper Club and loved the music and dancing. If we had known about the bar we would have been there for after-dinner drinks and entertainment. You never know till you try something!

be prepared that the pool is saltwater.

We (two couples, no kids, all 22-24 years of age) found a really good deal on carnivals "Triump" on May 12th for a 7 night western Carrabean cruise, only 467 per person. And 262.00 from SLC to miami...CHEAP~! or is it?

Muscles, just curious which airline you're flying to Miami on. I live in SLC too and am looking for a deal to FLL or MIA, but I have to wait until October for our cruise. :cool: I would love to find an airline ticket for $262. Thanks for the info.

Definitely read as much as you can on Cruise Critic. You will know so much about cruising by the time you are done. Have a great trip.

Welcome to the boards! I hope you find them as informative and fun as I do!!

The Carnival website shows shore excursions (snorkeling, etc..) on each cruise listing if you're interested in something to do besides sex and alcohol (whoa, did I say that out loud? Must be getting old! lol).

I'm a cruise newbie too. My fiance and I are sailing on a New Year's Eve cruise through the Southern Caribbean and getting married January 2 in Barbados. We're a little older than you (30 and 36) but not much, so watch yourself! lol

I'm from Iowa, so I hear ya about not being informed about the ocean. The only water body I've experienced is the Mississippi River, which I live about 5 blocks away from. Somehow I don't think there's a comparison! :D I'm looking forward to being in 80 degree weather at the end of December vs. 20 below and 2 feet of snow.

I hope you enjoy your cruise!!

Archived