Please share what your kids liked the most on their cruise!

wework2play

My then 6 year old loved:

Camp Carnival

24-hour ice cream machines

the talent show in front of lots of people

the towel animals

climbing Dunn's river falls in Jamaica

getting to drive the boat with Capt Marvin's tours in Grand Cayman & now watching the video of that trip whenever he wants

My then 2 year old loved:

the inflatable pool we set up on our balcony

the completely calm and shallow beach just south of Costa Maya

Our son (8) thought room service was fun, playing mini golf when ever he wanted to. He actually enjoyed dressing up for dinner. Our waiter taught him how to fold the napkins each night- he loved that and each time we have a special night with cloth napkins he does the special fold.

Bev

my son loves the whole experience. We have done some long cruises and toward the end he looks up and says that he wants to live on the ship. We don't give a hoot about getting off in the ports. If we do venture off we going running back to the ship. It is great that he likes cruising as much as I do.

He likes to have breakfast on the balcony in the AM

He loves everything about the Kids Program- arts, science, treasure hunts, etc.

Kid love the cabins, they are small and cosy and kid size.

As for the favorite thing- I think he just likes being on this small, fun floating world. Where everyone smiles and says "Good morning". Nice.

My DD (now 9) started cruising when she was 3. Her favorite part always is the kids clubs. In fact, when she first started cruising I was worried that she wouldn't want to go to the club. But, they have that orientation on the 1st night and she wanted to stay even then. She loved the club itself, the activities, and most of all, her counselor (Jelly Bean Julie on NCL). It got to the point that I had to beg her to have dinner with us!

The other thing she loves - all of the attention that the staff lavish on the kids. She just eats it up!

We're just about to embark on our third cruise with kids. My youngest (11) is most looking forward to eating whatever and whenever he wants and mostly talks about having sushi and trying lobster. Oldest (14) can't wait to have filet mignon every night (like last time).

DS (10 at the time) was particularly fond of the Virgin Bahama Mama's served in the pineapple at $5.95 + tip per drink! ("Look Mom! I get these cool drinks and all I have to do is sign this little piece of paper"!) :eek:

• 2 weeks later...

I could cruise everyday....

That's advice from our 4 year old, who has been on 2 cruises, and we're preparing for her 3rd this August!!!

She loved the Adventure Ocean program, our waiter Anton, appetizers (she still asks me for a fruit cocktail appetizer before dinner!!!), (virgin) pina coladas, swimming in Bermuda, watching the flying fish out our cabin window with dad, swimming in the pool, ice cream, cookies, walking on the decks, getting dressed like a princess for formal night!!! The list goes on and on! She loves cruising...and likes to tell everyone that "she has planned" our next cruise vacation!!!!

Cruising is such a wonderful family vacation! Last year, we traveled with a group of 10...from our daughter who was 3 and a half to my grandfather, who is 88....and a fabulous time was had by all!!! We can't wait to board the Explorer in August!!!

:rolleyes:

My children were 13 and almost 12 when they first cruised .... and absolutely loved it! We cruised the full Panama Transit with Coral Princess. It was 16 nights and like above, my 13 year old son did not want to leave and thought that he could live on a cruise ship - even if he did not get off in port. They also have limited soft drinks (soda) in real life and were thrilled with their unlimited soda card ( even with our personal limit placed in it). They loved their hamburgers by the pool (whenever they felt like it) and the buffet breakfast was a huge hit. Both are fussy and small eaters so it is a novelty to have them excited by food. There was only one other child on board and she had to do school work on sea days so did not attend Kids Club. We had explained that we had planned Kids Club so that they could make international friends but as the there were no other children on board, they did not HAVE to go. In the end, we had to beg them not to go so we could have family time together! They absolutely loved having their own personal Kids Club. They also enjoyed dressing up on formal nights. They enjoyed the pleasantries of crew and passengers. My daughter loved participating in Karaeoke nights (she had special allowance as ahe was the only singing child on board.) She was honoured to perform as "special guest" in the final of Princess Idol - she was too young to be a contestant. (Now she can claim to be an international performer .LOL) Of course, she also loved watching the shows. They loved their independence - as long as they were together. We are very strict with them at home so they had far more freedom on board. My hesitant son was very proud of his climb of "Dunn's Waterfall and they both loved our guide - "Happy Phil". They loved seeing Mum and Dad in a relaxed mood and having them say "yes, you can do that", We are a close family but never the less a busy one and so they enjoyed the family activities. They thought it great fun to see us participate in so much, too. Really, they loved everything and both are planning careers on board cruise ships! They are eagerly counting down for their European cruise. We can't wait to take them with us. If you can manage it, I believe that cruising is the best family holiday.

Jennie

Wework2play--You'll gather from these responses that kids of all ages love to cruise. If you're thinking about taking your little ones with you --- DO IT!!!! You won't regret it....except when they ask you over and over, "when are we going on another cruise?"

3 cruises on Carnival, 2 boys:

On all cruises, they loved the 24/7 food---from the fancy dinners to room service, ice cream and pizza. They also enjoy sea days because they've always made several friends and there's just so much to do on board.

When they were 11 and 13: the excitement of their first cruise; camp carnival activities, ping-pong (especially the 13 year old), making friends

When they were 13 and 15: ping-pong again (for the 15 year old), camp carnival activities (especially the 13 year old), the warm carribean waters (we sailed the Mexican Riviera the first cruise), making friends, post-cruise at Disneyworld!

When they were 15 and 17: a much bigger ship to explore (the Conquest), first time in their own room (next door), a little more freedom, basketball and comedy shows (for the 17 year old), Club 02 (for the 15 year old), zip line in Jamaica, Mardi Gras deck party!

I have girls and they have cruised since the age of 3

They loved towel animals.

the bunk beds

The attention from the servers, it made them feel really special

The pools, especially those with water slides

Free anytime ice cream

On Disney

The family being announced as you board

The shows and final night character meet

and finally the tinkerbell dust. We still have it!

As an adult, I like all those things as well. I am a kid at heart!:D

The six year old loved the slide. I am surprised he did not wear a hole in his bathing suit. One day all he did was go down the slide, up the ladder, down the slide, up the ladder ...

Both the six year old and the 4 1/2 year old liked the pool. Neither was a swimmer then. The pool has a shelf that varies from zero to six inches of water. They had a great time on this shelf.

• 2 months later...

DD age 13 and Ds age 8

Hanging out with new friends

Trying new foods (strawberry soup...yum)

dining room and dinner (getting spoiled by the waiters)

tours (mom always makes sure we do things kid friendly

4X4 in Aruba and seeing the natural pool! (they thought that was the bomb)

black sand beaches

cool bunk beds

pizza, ice cream and french fries

virgin foo foo drinks

and I could go on for ever.

my oldest is currently in Hawaii with relatives. I asked her hawaii land tour or a cruise! Cruise won hands down!!

must be the whole package!!

My son, who will be 15 in a few days, loves to cruise with me. In fact, my husband does NOT like to cruise so my cruise partner is always my son.:) When he was younger he loved the kids groups. Now that he's a teenager, he loves the teen group stuff. He likes making new friends and still keeps in contact with several from past cruises through emails & instant messaging. He also likes the different excursions that we try. I usually try to pick something kind of "adventurous" so we both have fun. On our Freedom of the Seas Western Caribbean cruise, we did swimming with the stingrays and the canopy tour. He loved both of those--especially the canopy tour--and still talks about them months later. Oh, and he always loves to try new food in the dining room. In fact, when we go out to eat here in town, he's always commenting, "Well, it's not as good as the cruise food, I must be spoiled!" LOL!:D

My son was 9 last fall, and he LOVED his first cruise. He especially liked:

-ordering ham and cheese sandwiches and hot chocolate from room service at midnight, every night :D

-having dinner in the dining room every night and being able to have both regular kid's food on the children's menu, and trying entrees from the regular menu

-watching the trivia, contests, and dance classes in the theater

-ordering virgin banana daquiris and making friends with the bartender

-the pool slide and the ice cream

-the towel animals left in the room, and the towel animal class

Without a doubt my son likes the kids club best. He is 6 and has no siblings near his age. So when he travels and their is a youth program-he just loves it.

I think also, he likes that it is a safe little floating world. Unlike hotels- where we have to sit and have formal meals and then wait for the check. He knows that we can breeze into the buffet- its free and easily accessible. The selection is great.

I think he feels a certain sense of freedom too. I don't let him wander around aimlessly but he knows his surroundings and wouldn't panic if I was out of his site for a minute. He knows where the cabin is. I also let him make little trips to the gift shops now that he is 6. He likes having his "credit card" to buy candy bars with.

Then there are the cabins that are small and cozy. Kids like cozy. They especially love bunk beds. He had one once on a ship and was in heaven.:)

My kids were not good eaters, but they loved the alphabet soup on Princess. Alphabet soup is on Princess' kids menu. Even if they don't have a printout of the kids' menu, just ask for it, the chef will be able to make it.

Oh...and the bunk beds. It's like their own personal jungle gym.

BTW, my kids were 6 (girl) and 4 (boy) on our last cruise.

My kids are 13 and 16. Some favorite things in no particular order:

Dinner in the dining room

Ping-pong

Swimming

Movies

Ports

Chocolates on pillows

Someone else makes bed

Festive mood on ship

Live music at sail aways

Mocktails

After a particularly hard day, my 13 year old will tell me, "Mom, I need another cruise.":)

My kids (3 and 6 year old girls) couldn't get enough of the swimming pools on our recent Alaskan cruise. They were exceptionally well heated and there was one day between Vancouver and Ketch where the rougher seas made great waves in the pool. It was a blast.

They of course loved the "Fun Zone" (Princess boat).

They also like little things like the towel animals and chocolates on the pillows... :rolleyes:

Archived