Costa Magica Trans-Atlantic 4th may 2007

jasonr

Two (Imported):) Kiwi guys flying in from New Zealand to Ft Lauderdale to catch the Trans-Atlantic cruise on the 4th of May 2007. Just wondering if any other gay guys or gay friendly people will be around or on board to enjoy the cruise with?

Kia Ora, or Hi, it is great to know that there is going to be some great conversations on this ship. My partners first time traveling on a cruise and we are looking forward to getting to know you all. Yes traveling all the way from New Zealand to catch this cruise, and I am sure if you get here, you will see why everyone falls in love with the place.:D

• 4 months later...

Costa Magica. Many travelers or reviewers seem to be from America themselves. I am from New Zealand, but grew up in Central Africa. I found our arrival in the United States quite a shock. I found the people very one minded and quite rude and this was even before getting to the ship. There was a cock-up with a hotel reservation arriving at 1am. No rooms available, and left to our own demise in obtaining accommodation now at 2am in the morning. No apology, just that we will be refunded. Eventually walking for over an hour with luggage and all we found a place. What allot of tourist arriving are not aware of all the taxes we as visitors have to pay extra and please tip, it is like a crime not too.

The ship: It is definitely designed to impress with all its Italian grandeur and barouche style. The layout can get a little confusing, but then again, getting lost to find your dinning room or cabin can also be fun and stops the monotonous of being in a ship for 16 days. The facilities on board do cater for all genres and age groups, and for those that want to be left alone and just relax that is also possible. The gym is very well equipped also with, spa bath, sauna and steam rooms are separated by the sex’s. The beauty salon offers good service, but for those English speaking clients please make sure what you want done is understood carefully by the non English speaking crew.

The cruise was very mixed with international nationalities and that was not counting the crew. This was an interesting experience for me how well everyone seemed to get along. Each nationality or language seems to form their own groups around the ship. That was not my choice, I engaged myself in all the groups where possible, and made allot of friends in the process and learnt allot. This is your choice.

Most of the complaint I heard where from the American passengers. The food seemed to be the problem. We met a lovely lady a few days later sitting alone, and offered her to join our table. During the meal she seemed very selective of what she ordered. Many things she did not know, so I ordered my meals and before I ate from it offered her to sample some of it. Later on I was ordering her meals, and she changed her tune very quickly to the quality of foods repaired and offered. My point here is, if you do not know what it is, ask, try it, if you do not like it, do not eat it, and then order something else. Hell I did more than once. The variety of foods is great, you do not have to eat at the dining rooms, go to the buffet or the grill, change it spice it up.

Sleeping accommodation: The rooms are very well equipment with all you need, from an inside cabin, to a stateroom. My only recommendation for those staying in the interior cabins, make sure your air conditioner is working properly. Room service was great, prompt and the foods fantastic. For those that find the mattress too hard, you can request an additional one, otherwise they are fine. For the smokers, no ashtray is supplied in your room, so when you meet your Butler or Steward, just request one.

We also received free fruit baskets, which was great.

Entertainment: With such a grand stage and lighting, the shows were not of a high class. I was expecting more glamour than what was shown. This could also be an age thing on my part, but thought my daughter who is 12 would have loved them if she were with. As the saying goes the show must go on.

For the drinkers try the X1 card that offers house wines, beer and cool drinks during meal times (This must be purchased a few days or weeks before boarding). It saves allot in the pocket. Do not get carried away with your Magica credit card, it soon adds up.

Tours, very well planned and operated, or just do it yourself, the locals at all ports are friendly and do help.

Make sure the ship carries that countries currency if not arrange it prior to departing port. It helps having some cash sometimes, as some small places do not carry electronic payment facilities for purchases.

Downside: The pools are small, so no lap swimming. The reception staff were very young and still learning, no one spoke my home language so was told to speak “American instead of English”. Listening to passengers moan about how long the crew work. (Talking to the crew all of them were happy in their jobs and were well paid for what they do. The ones that were not happy were leaving anyway.) If you are nice to them they will go out of the way for you. (I had so many hugs when I left the ship from the crew, was fantastic.)

My final words. It is what you make of your holiday. Treat others as you would like to be treated, and you will have a blast!

Archived