Cruise from Venice - getting on/off

Hi, everyone,

We sail from Venice on Veendam on April 19.

We are active travellers in early 50's, carrying 1 suitcase on wheels each.

We need to get to the ship (I don't know where it will be located) from the airport on April 19th.

The sail is at 5pm, if we have time after boarding we couls use it for a walk to the city.

At the end of cruise we arrive at 7 pm in the evening on Apriil 28, and have to disembark in the morning on April 29.

From the ship we have to get to our hotel located on the Grand Canal near Realto Bridge. In the morning on April 30 we leave for the airport to catch the 11:30 flight (by Delta).

I would appreciate a feedback on getting around the most cost-efficient way. Taking a water taxi is a convenient but expensive option for 2 travellers, I will stick to it only if others are not workable.

Please help anyone, who knows how to fing where Veendam will be standing on April 19 and April 29.

Is land taxi from airport delivering straight to the terminal, or only to Piazza Roma?

Is it safe walking from the center to the cruise terminal in the middle of the night?

Can I board vaporetto with a big suitcase?

Where could I see online the vaporeto routes map?

:cool:

We were there last June. You can take a land taxi from the airport to the ship. We used venice limo, they have a website.

The Grand Princess supplied a water shuttle from the ship to St Marks. Don't know if HAL does but I would think so. It was only $10. each for the two days.

Once you drop your luggage at the ship take the shuttle to St Marks and buy a 24 hour ticket on the Valporetto #1 and #84. This goes around the entire Grand Canal and you can get on and off at will.

When you disembark take the ship shuttle to St Marks and then get the #1 or #84 Valporetto to the Rialto stop. I did see some luggage, one suitcase each shouldn't be a problem.

You will have to return to Piazza Roma to get a taxi or train.

We took the the ATVO bus from Piazzale Roma to the airport - it's a direct bus @ 3E pp.

From Piazzale Roma to the ship - you can either walk (not recommended with luggage, but we did it) - or you can take a cab or local bus.

This is a map of Marittima cruise terminal (your cruise docs will say which terminal you'll be at ... in previous years you could see the "Cruise ship schedule" on this website and find out exactly where your ship would be docked, but I see that they've closed this info to the general public.)

http://www.vtp.it/pages/comeRaggiungerci/comeRaggiungerci02.jsp

This website covers a lot of helpful info: http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-cruise-terminal.htm

Thanks to everyone who answered.

I still miss one point here, the distance between Piazza Roma and cruise ship terminal looks so small on the map. Stepping out from the ship upon disembarkation I need to catch a vaporetto. Is the only answer the land taxi (besides walking) that would cost me about 30 euro - the same as from airport and ship terminal?

Sounds a little bit too much.

There is a lot of info on the internet on how to get to San Marco Square,

but very little on how to get to cruise terminals and from there, especially between the terminals and Piazza Roma.

How long is a walking time to the closets terminal and the far one (117).

Thanks to everyone who answered.

I still miss one point here, the distance between Piazza Roma and cruise ship terminal looks so small on the map. Stepping out from the ship upon disembarkation I need to catch a vaporetto. Is the only answer the land taxi (besides walking) that would cost me about 30 euro - the same as from airport and ship terminal?

Sounds a little bit too much.

There is a lot of info on the internet on how to get to San Marco Square,

but very little on how to get to cruise terminals and from there, especially between the terminals and Piazza Roma.

How long is a walking time to the closest terminal and the far one (117).

As far as I know there is no valporetto from the cruise terminal. I've read on here that you can walk, or you can take a land taxi to Piazza Roma.

You can also look on tripadvisor dot com.

Cusyl, I am often checking with Tripadvisor, but aren't they mainly discussing hotels.

I have never seen other topics.

Please advise, where I should look

Here's the link to Tripadvisor's Venice Forum: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g187870-i57-Venice_Veneto.html

This site will help with directions to P. Roma: http://www.vtp.it/pages/comeRaggiungerci/dettaglio.jsp?idm=N9TJQI370QEBK450YX34KN08MM3PCGHM&iconaInfo=ico-raggiungerci

The terminal to P. Roma is a very short distance on the map, but you have to walk over an overpass or bridge when exiting the harbour area, so it's not a direct route. We did it with one suitcase each on wheels ... but if I was doing it again, I would look for either the shuttle bus, bus #6, or take a cab ( it's a very short cab ride, and hopefully less than 10E.)

Hi, everyone,

We sail from Venice on Veendam on April 19.

Hi Lady Luna. My husband and I are taking this same trip on the Veendam May 9, and I will be very interested in your trip report. We are getting to Venice a couple of days early so our transpotation problems there will not be the same as yours. Hope your trip is fabulous. Take notes!

Map of Alilaguna lines from airport, and also From St. Marks to cruise terminal.

http://www.alilaguna.it/?funzione=1&contesto=1&valore=49&modo=6

I'm not sure where your hotel is, but they have a new oro(gold) line that goes directly from the airport to San Marco (St. Marks) for 25 euros per person, and I think that includes luggage.

I found this site (already mentioned) to be very helpful:

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-cruise-terminal-marittima.htm

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice_airport_boat.htm

Somewhere in these articles, the author cautions against taking a vaporetti with luggage, but instead to take the Alilaguna lines mentioned above.

Caution: I've not been to Venice yet, all this is from what I've read online.

We'll be there the week before you, and I've spent a lot of time on the net trying to figure out how to get around Venice! It's a challenge, but what a wonderful challenge! Good luck.

As a previous poster mentioned, Princess offered a shuttle from the cruise ship terminal to San Marco, after you check in. Taxi from airport to cruise ship terminal is the way to go upon arrival. Some ships offer a shuttle from the cruise ship terminal to P. Roma, but not all. We made that mistake, as our hotel thought all ships did, so we ended up at P. Roma with 8 people, 16+ pieces of luggage and no plan on how to get to the ship. 60 euros later, 2 taxis had deposited us at the ship terminal.

Archived