just returned Nachi Cocom

ccletzgo

Ken: I have found it is best to just ignore some people. ( A sentiment shared by all who cross that poster's path. ) Seems a lot of people are tired of getting "expert" advice from someone who has a whooping 2 or 3 cruises under their belt (if that many) :rolleyes:

The "expert" seems to forget that feeding the stingrays in Grand Cayman is not against the law. It is not a National Marine Park with rules and regulations like in Cozumel.

However, (as you have pointed out) feeding the fish in the Marine Park in Cozumel is against the law. Since Cozumel has made such laws, you are correct in expecting the businesses there to follow them.

Hmmm....well cutting down a grove of trees with no permit to build a parking lot was certainly against the laws of Mexico..and a disgrace..that is why Naachi is NOT open to the public..however some of the workers there are letting people in for like $5 to rent a chair...combined with the guests shuttled in from the hotel.

I don't need to be an expert to read other reviews on other sites..I feel it is hypocritical to be "so concerned" about the fish feeding and not concerned about the parkinglot/mangrove and lack of a biz permit at Naachi.

The "advice" I gave was pertaining to the usual rush of venom against anyone who gives a less than positive review of a place...I suggested that people should make arrangements with Island Marketing to assure them getting a lounger. Good advice IMHO...you don't have to take it

Our ship is on EST and we are to arrive at 9AM ... does this mean we have to find something to do until 11AM ship time?

Our ship was out of Miami and stayed on EST....we were messed up because of the early time change...so I guess it depends on when you are going. I think Cozumel will be changing time soon....also, some of the ships will change ship time.

We had to wait until 11:00 ship time, but you may not. Just pay attention to your ship time and local time. Grrrr.....I would have enjoyed a couple more hours there!!!!

Our ship was out of Miami and stayed on EST....we were messed up because of the early time change...so I guess it depends on when you are going. I think Cozumel will be changing time soon....also, some of the ships will change ship time.

We had to wait until 11:00 ship time, but you may not. Just pay attention to your ship time and local time. Grrrr.....I would have enjoyed a couple more hours there!!!!

we are suppose to be in port from 9-6 ... I hope it stays true as I would hate to miss anytime ;)

Hmmm....well cutting down a grove of trees with no permit to build a parking lot was certainly against the laws of Mexico..and a disgrace..that is why Naachi is NOT open to the public..however some of the workers there are letting people in for like $5 to rent a chair...combined with the guests shuttled in from the hotel.

I don't need to be an expert to read other reviews on other sites..I feel it is hypocritical to be "so concerned" about the fish feeding and not concerned about the parking lot/mangrove and lack of a biz permit at Nachi.

The "advice" I gave was pertaining to the usual rush of venom against anyone who gives a less than positive review of a place...I suggested that people should make arrangements with Island Marketing to assure them getting a lounger. Good advice IMHO...you don't have to take it

Apparently this is the deal with the mangrove tree's. There was a lack of communication between the contractor that cut the tree's down and built the parking lot and the management at Nachi, as to who was to pull the permit. The contractor thought Nachi did, and Nachi thought the contractor did. Cutting trees is legal with an approved permit, feeding fish is under no circumstances permitted.

The only problem with the message they sent you from Nachi was that I emailed them last week and they said the same thing ... so even though they say they haven't heard any complaints, I know there have been. Oh well though, I'll be there the 28th too - my ship doesnt get in till 10 either and can't wait! I am sure we'll get a lounge chair.

We'll be there the 28th too. Sounds like all of our late arrivals won't be a problem since we'll be operating two hours ahead. If there is a shortage I say we stage a cruise critic protest!

My cozcruiseexcursion person said that if it wasn't satisfactory not to pay, but my guess is that you don't figure that out until you already have. They might not have had any direct complaints, just the group of us asking about them...

Just call me the Ugly American. I cannot care the least bit about who and/or how and /or why the mangroves were cut. I also don't care about the fish being fed, since I have never fed fish and never plan on feeding the fish.

If I'm on vacation, I follow the laws and rules and I feel I don't need to worry about anyone else on these boards making such a big deal about these things.

And a Bah Humbug to those that do care.:mad:

Just call me the Ugly American. I cannot care the least bit about who and/or how and /or why the mangroves were cut. I also don't care about the fish being fed, since I have never fed fish and never plan on feeding the fish.

If I'm on vacation, I follow the laws and rules and I feel I don't need to worry about anyone else on these boards making such a big deal about these things.

And a Bah Humbug to those that do care.:mad:

Just don't complain if you love to snorkel and reefs are no longer there because they were destroyed by those who did not "care about the rules" enough to protect the wonderful works of nature.

If a local industrial plant is breaking the law by pumping poisons into your water supply.... are you going to say "Bah Humbug" just because you are not the one pumping the poisons??

Just don't complain if you love to snorkel and reefs are no longer there because they were destroyed by those who did not "care about the rules" enough to protect the wonderful works of nature.

If a local industrial plant is breaking the law by pumping poisons into your water supply.... are you going to say "Bah Humbug" just because you are not the one pumping the poisons??

If only Al Gore would come to Mexico and solve their problems too. :D

So then...what is YOUR opinion of Naachi ?? The people who live in coz and post on the board at trip advisor have a very dim view of it...saying that you "thought the other had the permit" is nonsense...as I said, I live in a state where we have eco-problems...I can NOT cut down a tree in my backyard without a permit

They have been fined by the city of Cozumel, and not paid the fines...the parking lot is there...the mangroves are gone

Please tell us your stance on Naachi then

I also appreciate how others may not care that much...what I am pointing out is how the caring goes one way and not the other.

My own "interest" btw is much more about Manatees and laws to protect them and enforcing the Manatee zones

So then...what is YOUR opinion of Naachi ?? The people who live in coz and post on the board at trip advisor have a very dim view of it...saying that you "thought the other had the permit" is nonsense...as I said, I live in a state where we have eco-problems...I can NOT cut down a tree in my backyard without a permit

They have been fined by the city of Cozumel, and not paid the fines...the parking lot is there...the mangroves are gone

Please tell us your stance on Naachi then

I also appreciate how others may not care that much...what I am pointing out is how the caring goes one way and not the other.

My own "interest" btw is much more about Manatees and laws to protect them and enforcing the Manatee zones

I can cut down tree's at will and I live in the same state...

Great post!!!!

We are 8 adults arriving at 10am in Cozumel. We reserved Nachi Cocum. Now I am worried about the chairs. There's no way we'll be at the beach earlier than 11am. If we paid $400 and we don't get lounge chairs you'll probably hear me screaming!! I will email ahead and politely ask for help if there's a problem when we arrive. But I don't think it's unrealistic to expect chairs!!!!

7 ships in port 6 of us went had a great time little under staffed but if they seen us at the bar they would run and carry the drinks back for us food was outstanding ordered off menu not buffet wife is now hooked on grupper 100 no more like 80 already planing on going back taxi driver asked for reservations but only after we went through gate did not see were any treess were cut down only had small parking lot they got your chairs for you when you got there and put them were you wanted them and brought you tabels to but your drinks on they can arrange for any activity you want

7 ships in port 6 of us went had a great time little under staffed but if they seen us at the bar they would run and carry the drinks back for us food was outstanding ordered off menu not buffet wife is now hooked on grupper 100 no more like 80 already planing on going back taxi driver asked for reservations but only after we went through gate did not see were any treess were cut down only had small parking lot they got your chairs for you when you got there and put them were you wanted them and brought you tabels to but your drinks on they can arrange for any activity you want

Thanks for your comments - very interesting. I'll be there soon.

Friendly suggestion: write in complete sentences (start with a capital letter, end with a period). It will make your posts easier to understand.

I'm assuming all of you had lounge chairs?

I don't need to be an expert to read other reviews on other sites..I feel it is hypocritical to be "so concerned" about the fish feeding and not concerned about the parkinglot/mangrove and lack of a biz permit at Naachi.

For pete's sake WE GET IT! I've checked out the boards at trip advisor. We've all read your posts. WE GET IT! Enough already, please.

Just returned, was at Nachi on Wednesday. Our ship, RCCL Enchantment, docked at 10:00 ship time (central DST) which was 9:00 Cozumel time. We got off the ship as soon as we could and were at Nachi by roughly 10:45.

There were 10+ people there at that time. We were able to get two lounge chairs under a palapa - no problem.

By 11:15 all palapas were taken (10 or so total). The staff was moving lounge chairs from the pool area to the beach upon request.

By 12:30 all of the lounge chairs originally by the pool were now on the beach. As new arrivals came in, the staff was having a difficult time finding lounge chairs for them, but there were finding them.

At roughly 2:00 a group of 6 came in and seemed to have a difficult time getting chairs. Fortunately, a family was just leaving and this gave the group a nice palapa and chairs on the beach. I'm not sure how it would have gone otherwise.

As previous posters have written, the problem seems to be with hotel guests using this beach. I'm sure that Nachi doesn't take more than 100 reservations, but it doesn't look like they account properly for the hotel guests.

Quick review of the rest:

1. Drink service was quick and friendly. I usually tipped $1 each time and never had to wait to get another drink.

2. The nachos were wonderful as was the lunch. You can either eat at your lounge chair or eat under a large covered area.

3. The bathrooms were clean and well maintained.

4. The beach has a lot of coral "chunks" as well as smaller pieces. It is not comfortable to walk on in bare feet.

5. There was a water sports guy right there (I think independent). He was offering snorkeling, scuba, banana boat rides, etc. Since I had brought my own mask and snorkel, I was able to just rent fins from him for $6.

6. The snorkeling right off the beach has great visibility, but nothing to see. I probably went 300 yards down the beach and saw 10 fish at most.

7. We asked the desk to get us a taxi back and one was there in about 5 minutes.

8. The beach does have a fairly steep drop off into the water. Wading out 5 feet it is already 3 feet deep. However, you can walk out several more feet before it gets over 4 feet deep.

I would go back again. The price is appropriate.

I just returned from Nachi on Wednesday too. I had a blast! We got there a little after 10, there was only one other group of women there at the time. I saw plenty of space, and actually there seemed like plenty of space and lounge chairs (I constantly saw them bringing out more if needed). It was beautiful though! Probably one of our favorite parts.

Plenty of food (and it tasted great!), plenty of drinks, Manuel was always going by asking if we wanted more ... so we actually never had to go up to the bar. Pool was beautiful and felt great. The water was clear and we even went snorkeling ... it was great! Lots of fish, barracudas, sting rays ... we didn't see any turtles this time but there are turtles.

I was so worried that I wouldn't get a chair or that this experience wouldn't be worth it, but it was! I would definitely recommend it ... this is the place I'd go if I ever went back to Cozumel.

Oh and that group of people that came at the end, yea they ended up sitting right next to us. They didn't have reservations they said, the taxi driver just took them there ... so they said they wouldn't be upset if they didn't get chairs on the beach ... but they did.

I'll post a couple pictures if you all wanted to see them, though I know people have been posting them.

Archived