Walking to Bayside?

Ptown

We won the Hyatt Regency downtown Miami for 4/6/07 pre-cruise stay. My question: Is it realistic to walk from the hotel to Bayside Market. DW & I don't mind a 15 or 20 minute walk but want to be sure there are decent sidewalks going through "safe" areas of town. Looks to be 7 or so blocks but is hard to tell anything else from the maps I have seen.

Thank you in advance.

Dave

I personally have not been there, but friends of mine stayed there last Fall and walked about one block... and turned around and went back and took a cab. It was in the afternoon, and they said it was not a nice area.

Our experience at the Hyatt was four years ago. We did walk from the hotel to Bayside during the afternoon. It was a little hike but maybe we didn't take the most direct route. Right near the Hyatt was a whole block that was boarded up - may have changed now. We asked at the front desk and they said it was fine to walk during the day but to take either a cab or the Metromover back at night. I hadn't read great things about the Metromover on this board at the time and was unfamilar with where to go so we just got a cab after dark. I was worried about getting one but we just stood right at the entrance to Bayside and a cab stopped within seconds. I think the fare was $5 with tip. We walked back in the morning for breakfast and did take shorter route. There is a Walgreens nearby if you need any last minute items.

You can catch the metromover there and back. Walking in the day is fine..do not walk at night. There are still those "construction" areas that I wouldn't pass through.

A shady looking guy did get on the metro mover at one stop....but the next stop ( not more than 30 seconds), a police officer got on and asked him to leave the train. I guess they have a problem with homeless sleeping on it at night. The police must monitor it via camera.

I did feel safe....but we were with a group. If it had been just my hubby and I , I would opt for a cab back to the hotel at night.

The metro mover is connected to the hotel via a walkway.

Thanks for the replies! We should be checked into the hotel by 3:00, so it looks like we may walk to Bayside for dinner then either take the metro back to the Hyatt or grab a cab. After eating all the food at Bubba Gumps, I probably won't feel like walking anyway.:D

Thanks!!! Dave:)

Archived