passports to mexico?

KyleesMom

Hi. does anyone one know if passports are mandantory for a cruise to mexico ( on carnival) ? I have seen mixed reviews on if its really required or not and a friend of mine just sailed without a passport. Just curious. thanks in advance!

Tiffany

If you live in the United States and are sailing from a port in the United States, you do not need a passport to travel to mexico. Only an original birth certificate and identification are needed to board the ship.

but, if you had to leave a port in Mexico and fly home you would need a passport.

For cruising, getting off in the Mexican ports and getting back on board...No, not till next year.

Getting off at port and having to gfly home due to an emergency? yes, passport needed.

Like the others have said just a certified birth certificate and a government issued id (drivers license). Also you would be able to fly back to the U.S. in an emergency. I would take the State Departments phone number and call them before going to the airport if something would happen. They know there are thousands of cruisers a month visiting foreign ports with out passports and are prepared for emergencies.

you would be able to fly back to the U.S. in an emergency. I would take the State Departments phone number and call them before going to the airport if something would happen. They know there are thousands of cruisers a month visiting foreign ports with out passports and are prepared for emergencies.

Same thing goes for passengers that have PassPorts but have left them on the ship while in port, if for some reason you miss the ship, the State Department, with a push of a button can get a copy of your PP so you can fly home.

but, if you had to leave a port in Mexico and fly home you would need a passport.

For cruising, getting off in the Mexican ports and getting back on board...No, not till next year.

Getting off at port and having to gfly home due to an emergency? yes, passport needed.

Flying home - also NOT needed, there are literally tens of thousands americans in the carib at any one time without passports on cruises, they are very aware of that and will accomodate emergency situations, all can be arranged with a phone call, they can fax your clearance to the airport before you even get there...

http://www.travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2225.html#12

I am still annoyed! I booked a cruise about a month ago for week of Easter. TA said go get Passports - we (family of 4) blindly followed and paid extra for expidited!

I AM RATHER PISSED! Unless you are flying into a foreign country - YOU DON'T NEED THEM.

So you need to decide for yourself!

I too debated the passport issue and decided to get them now. They are valid for 10 years and there are many cruises in my future. After 9/11 returning from Mexico I was "detained" for no reason with my birth certificate and driver's license in hand. It was a horrible feeling to be in the U.S. but not allowed to go "beyond the gate".

Better Safe Than Sorry!

I too debated the passport issue and decided to get them now. They are valid for 10 years and there are many cruises in my future. After 9/11 returning from Mexico I was "detained" for no reason with my birth certificate and driver's license in hand. It was a horrible feeling to be in the U.S. but not allowed to go "beyond the gate".

Better Safe Than Sorry!

Archived