Great Prince Rupert web Site

mii

We were there on Seven Seas Mariner in '05. The website for tourist info is www.tourismprincerupert.com One thing about the place is wildlife. Eagles flock like pigeons. There are also tours for whales, bear, etc. The big tourist attraction there is the restored cannery which shows how those working in the area's former main industry lived and worked. As a model railroader I enjoyed the local railroad club's exhibit in the cannery, a good sized model railroad layout. It was coin operated! The main junket I took was the North Coast Explorer train. I don't believe they have a regular run as most of the cars and engines were privately owned and the crew, except engineers, were volunteers. I see the partially open air car on which I rode is now part of the new Rocky Mountaineer run from Vancouver to Whistler. My wife had a good time shopping while I rode the rails (it was my third rail excursion of the trip :D and she had had enough).

Archived