just back Magica X1 package report

island57

Here is the deal, this is the best thing going if you like wine at lunch and dinner. You do not need to be in the dining room at all nor do you have to be eating. It is available whenever the buffet is open afternoon and evening. So that is from noon to 2:30pm and 5pm until late, not sure what time it ends. In the dining room your waiter just keeps pouring. You can be on the pool deck or anywhere there is a bar. And as a couple you do not need to buy two packages. On one card you can get as many draft beer, wine (red or white) canned soda (coke). One day at the adult pool the waiter brought me 6 white wines at one time (passed them out to friends). They are small tumblers at the pool and at the buffet but all staff knows/understands the plan so there is no problem anywhere getting served. You do not even have anything to sign. We are soda drinkers in morning so order 2 or more to take to fridge in cabin. No mini bar charges. Wine is $5.50 per glass and the package is approx $11 per day. It is easy to do the math. They pour whatever is open so that might be a downside to particular tastes because you usually get the house white but that may be a pinot or blanc. Our bar tab was less than $50 for the occasional drink of the day. Hope this helps those that are not sure this is for them.

Wonder what late is considered for dining? Also did you have two packages for just one. Wonder if you buy one if they will serve both husband and I at dinner. One wouldn't think that would be the case!

Thanks so much for the review.

And as a couple you do not need to buy two packages.

Thank your for your info on the package. We purchased for everyone in our party for our upcoming trip.

Now... I am all for a good deal but to me, and I am no big stickler for rules, but only purchasing one card and using it for 2 or more people is abusing the program IMO. Sorry if that offends but that is just how I feel. Problem is, if lots of people do this then Costa will simply take away the package entirely because they will be losing money.

Again I am sorry if this offends but I really don't want to lose the possibility of such a great program because some decide to abuse it.

interestingly I never asked for more than one serving. If I ordered "white wine" and was sitting with my husband or anyone for that matter they just brought me two. This was the case at lunch only in the buffet and at the poolside. I did not buy the plan for my husband only because he does not much care for wine and his beer of choice is coronna.

The plan can only be purchased two weeks before you sail as they need time to imprint it on your card. I purchased thru my travel agent without any trouble. As mentioned before it is purchased in advance with credit card so it is paid for upfront.

I agree with Kari - let's not get greedy or they'll stop offering it. We were on the 2/11 Magica cruise and both had x1 - still a great deal. Only at the pool bars they told us we had to wait until 7:30 - buffet didn't start til 7:30, no matter we still got our $$ worth!:)

I purchased 2 packages for myself and my wife. We are not big drinkers, but do drink soda. We intend to get out moneys worth out of this. I can easily have 2 drinks a day, either soda, beer, wire or a water. I do intend to pass along a soda or two to our kids so it is good to hear they don't make a big deal that, but I agree that abusing this will probably result in the elimination of this package. We love Costa and plan to travel again with them and want to see this still be available in 2009. My Cunard trips are tapping me out for 2008. :D

Hi island 57.

I have heard several people mention the adult pool. When we sailed on the Magica in Norway there were kids in every pool and hot tub. Do they enforce this in the Caribbean and which pool is it? We booked the X1 packages today on everyone's reccommendation.

And as a couple you do not need to buy two packages. On one card you can get as many draft beer, wine (red or white) canned soda (coke).

This was not possible in Germany!

For one cabin I had to buy t w o X1 packages.

They know how they can get your money!

sodas are $2.50 + tip and they give you a glass of ice and a can of soda (at least at the pool bars and buffet) - so 4 sodas a day covers the cost of the x1 - all tips are included in the $11.40/day

Archived