Can you still use birth certificates?

reapfm

Just printed the Set Sail Pass for the May 11th cruise on the Explorer out of Cape Liberty. The one thing I noticed, was that the documents to board the ship were the set sail pass, your credit card and your Passport. My question is must you have a Passport to sail to the Caribbean with RCI? I know according to the US Gov't birth certs are still acceptable, but can the cruiseline put their own policy in place?:confused:

FYI, my TA advised we get them for our children (DH and I already have them) just in case we need to fly home from the islands for some reason. If you have an emergency and need to fly home, you will need a passport.

I watched as a passenger was denied boarding in Galveston because she had a HOSPITAL issued birth certificate. She was in tears saying how she had used that same birth certificate for many cruises. The staff at the terminal were very firm in requiring a STATE issued birth certificate and the lady bid a tearful farewell to her family as they boarded, and she remained behind.

FYI, my TA advised we get them for our children (DH and I already have them) just in case we need to fly home from the islands for some reason. If you have an emergency and need to fly home, you will need a passport.

We were given the same advice...would be horrible to have an accident or whatever and not be able to fly back. When entering the US via airplane you MUST have a passport

We were given the same advice...would be horrible to have an accident or whatever and not be able to fly back. When entering the US via airplane you MUST have a passport

You will be able to get back into the states there will just me un wanted red tape....

You should have an option when completing your boarding information to choose either a passport or a birth certificate and drivers license.

You can go back in and edit your data to choose the birth certificate.

Just make sure that whatever you choose, that you have that documentation with you at check-in.

Just printed the Set Sail Pass for the May 11th cruise on the Explorer out of Cape Liberty. The one thing I noticed, was that the documents to board the ship were the set sail pass, your credit card and your Passport. My question is must you have a Passport to sail to the Caribbean with RCI? I know according to the US Gov't birth certs are still acceptable, but can the cruiseline put their own policy in place?:confused:

You don't need one unless you are flying here from another country, such as Mexico or Canada. If you reside outside of the U.S. you will need one.

You don't need one to exit but if you had to return for an emergency from one of the islands to the US you could not get back in without one. There was a story on TV today about the backlog and how people traving in April may not be able to travel due to backlog.... and you know once they are required the price is bound to go up... so why chance it get them now....

You don't need one to exit but if you had to return for an emergency from one of the islands to the US you could not get back in without one. There was a story on TV today about the backlog and how people traving in April may not be able to travel due to backlog.... and you know once they are required the price is bound to go up... so why chance it get them now....

Once again, that is not true. You WOULD be able to get back in. There would be more red tape, but you would be let back in the country.

Hi all,

Thought the INS regs changed this year requiring a passport for all non-U.S. possessions and entry back into US from non-US territories & possessions ?? Or was this postponed? Confused ! :rolleyes:

For flying, but not for cruise travel. Passports for cruise travel was postponed until 2008.

If you have a Birth Certificate and you've had a name change due to marriage, do you also need your marriage certificate?

I've sent in my Passport renewal, but we're a little anxious about getting it back in time, so I want to request copies of the other documents as backup. Just want to make sure I have everything I need. My husband already has an up-to-date passport, but mine was due to expire this year.

Once again, that is not true. You WOULD be able to get back in. There would be more red tape, but you would be let back in the country.

Well of course you could get back in, but if you're dealing with an emergent situation, you'd want to get back in without the hassle.

Hi all,

Thought the INS regs changed this year requiring a passport for all non-U.S. possessions and entry back into US from non-US territories & possessions ??

For air travel only. For sea and land travel it won't be required until Jan 08. That's why it's advisable to have a passport anyway, in case you need to fly home.

If you have a Birth Certificate and you've had a name change due to marriage, do you also need your marriage certificate?

I don't know but it wouldn't hurt to bring it.

I watched as a passenger was denied boarding in Galveston because she had a HOSPITAL issued birth certificate. She was in tears saying how she had used that same birth certificate for many cruises. The staff at the terminal were very firm in requiring a STATE issued birth certificate and the lady bid a tearful farewell to her family as they boarded, and she remained behind.

Say what!

How do you know the difference between HOSPITAL & STATE???

Say what!

How do you know the difference between HOSPITAL & STATE???

The official state BC will have a raised seal and you will have gotten it from your state/city dept of vital records. It should say something to the effect of "This is a true certification of name birth as recorded by the bureau of vital records". It will look like an official document. My hospital certificate has my footprints on it and is signed by the head person at the hospital.

Archived