Another question - Do you bring your own snorkel gear?

Stavyg

I know if you book a snorkel excusion pretty much anywhere, they have gear for you to use. The more I think about it... it's kind of gross. My DH says they wash it well, but I'm not so sure. Do you bring your own gear or just use what is provided?

Thanks! :)

I bring my own. I wouldn't want to put my mouth on something someone'se has been on. Also, you can stand out. Our gear is a nice blue. They aren't expensive either. You can search Samclub, BJs wholesale, or even Walmart. They can be around $40 but I feel they are well worth it. Mine is blue, comes with carry bag and everything. Good luck and hope you have fun.

We used to rent and never had a problem. However, now I won't snorkel unless I have my own equipment. We bring our own masks and snorkels and just rent fins!:D Having said that, now that we are going on another spring break cruise, our 3rd one in a row, we will take our fins. That way we don't have to wait in line or worry abouth them not having our size.:eek:

might as well have your own stuff - you never know when you will get the opportunity to go for a quick snorkel

I agree with everything already posted - its nice to have your own stuff -and you know where its been

the only dragback is hauling it around afterwards (and your camera equipmentand everything else) while trying to carry all the souvenirs!

still, I bring it everytime...love it!

Have fun and be safe, enjoy your cruise!:)

I have to take my own stuff. You can do without the fins, but really you gotta pack your own mask and snorkel. Also get a snorkel that can be partially disassembled. And remember to prep your mask before you leave by polishing the glass lenses with regular toothpaste. And remember to have fun and take pics

we always have and always will take our own - have been on too many excursions where we have seen how they "clean" the gear - no thanks

yes, it takes up a little more room when packing but you want to take a beach bag anyway so just get a dive bag and know where those mouthpieces have been:)

I still searching for a decent mask and snorkel. I always wind up with masks that don't adjust well or are too big for my kids. Any BRAND recommendations?

I'm also looking for decent goggles that work well. My daughter always opens her eyes under water (pool, lake, ocean) and they look horrible during vacation. Any goggles I've ever purchased for her break, don't stay snug, etc....HELP!!

... and I recommend that you look into http://www.snorkel-mart.com/

We purchased perscipting goggles etc. & it is good quality at about 1/2 the price of a local dive shop.

I have seen them sanitize the snorkels in SALT WATER!!! No thanks!!

With your own you can have things all adjusted & ready to go. No fumbling and adjusting unfamiliar equipment.

Dan

... and I recommend that you look into http://www.snorkel-mart.com/

We purchased perscipting goggles etc. & it is good quality at about 1/2 the price of a local dive shop.

I have seen them sanitize the snorkels in SALT WATER!!! No thanks!!

With your own you can have things all adjusted & ready to go. No fumbling and adjusting unfamiliar equipment.

Dan

I've noticed that they use dishwashing liquid to keep the lens FOG FREE. I've never tried the toothpaste method that the poster above suggested. Which works better...or does it matter?

There are MANY MANY reason to use your own gear...

1. sanitization.. the old YUK factor of putting your mouth on where someone else was 10 minutes ago.

2. Better equipment... The rentals are usually the mass produced and cheapest ones they can get a hold of.

3. Better fit.... having your own mask that fits is worth the money!!!

4. Price to pay... one of the biggest factors that many people forget is that, if you loose the rental item, they are going to charge you a premium price to replace it. And if you have no money, then a big argument will in sue and it may ruin your fun time. If you loose your own equipment, then its your fault, end of story.

• 3 weeks later...

We are bringing our own equipment, since we plan to do a lot of snorkeling on our own (it is about $25/person each time you rent). I found US Dive Snorkel kits at Costco for my children, however they were sold out in adult sizes. However, I did find the Adult kits online at Sports Chalet for a very reasonable price.

The response seems overwhelming, but to add my 2 cents, we bring our own. If space is tight, the fins stay at home. We have water shoes [since DH and DS scuba] and those come too if at all possible.

Investing in a small bottle of mask defog is a good idea. It seems to last forever and works great. Finally, we also have a water-tight [small] wallet holder. There are some items I have trouble leaving on the beach/boat and this lets me take them along in the water.

Janice

The response seems overwhelming, but to add my 2 cents, we bring our own. If space is tight, the fins stay at home. We have water shoes [since DH and DS scuba] and those come too if at all possible.

Investing in a small bottle of mask defog is a good idea. It seems to last forever and works great. Finally, we also have a water-tight [small] wallet holder. There are some items I have trouble leaving on the beach/boat and this lets me take them along in the water.

Janice

Where did you get your water tight wallet?

The first one we got was in Cozumel back in the 80's. It was too small, but it held our room key [back in the day when it was an actual metal key] and some pesos. We bought a larger one [wallet sized] at a local dive shop. Bright pink so we can't miss it! I would supposed a search of online dive shops would work if you don't have one where you live.

Janice

I'd say get your own, if you can make the space for it. If you are stuggling with sizes, find a local dive shop that has its own pool. Bring the kids with the swimsuits and start trying masks until they find one that fits well.

Archived