Nextel's

lenape

It depends on your phone, I think. We went to the Bahamas in Nov, our phones weren't "international" phones, and Nextel does have tower rights in the Bahamas. You can just call Nextel Customer Care, they will be able to tell you! Good luck!

Does Nextel and Sprint use the same towers? Because my Sprint phone worked in Jamaica and Grand Cayman, I don't think that I tried it in Costa Maya. I was on the Carnival Victory and all Carnival ships have cell service, so I was able to use my phone for the entire trip. I bought the international roaming plan (from Sprint) - for around $4-$5/month (I bought it just for 1 month) and all of my calls were included in my normal bill - I didn't pay any extra, except for the international roaming plan. The international roaming is supposed to get you discounted roaming, not free roaming. So I don't know if my calls went against my minutes or what. I really expected my cell bill to be really high (the airlines lost our luggage and we made several call back to the US to try to solve the problem) but my bill was exactly the same.

• 4 weeks later...

Nextel works on iden towers, which are seperate from any other carrier. Sprint is CDMA like Verizon. Iden is not widely used, so unless nextel has a tower in a US territory it will likely not work. In Mexico they have cdma towers, cdma phones like those sold by sprint or verizon will work if roaming. I think they also have gsm in mexico, which is what Cingular runs off of.

Archived