Help!Need some questions answered!

cruisin24

To all of you seasoned Hawaiian cruisers!!

In going over my 'must see' sights in Hawaii...I came across some items I need clarification on. Here goes...

1. Molokini Snorkel-Maui or Captain Zodiac-Kona?

Are both only accessible by boat?? We have a rental car and I was wondering if we could do it ourselves? or must be by tour? Is one better than the other for the variety and colour of the fish and price? How to book either place?

2. Kilauea Volcano part of VNP?

In other words if yes...is it worth travelling to when we go to VNP or do we see it on the PofH? I thought I read that this cruise ship travels past it or is it not close enough to see it well?

3. Road to Hana-Maui

If we do decide to travel with rental car to Hana....is it possible to see Haleakala Crater in our travels? I see from a travel magazine that they seem somewhat close? But I also realize that if we attempt (and I do want to) to try the Road to Hana that it is a long trip and we may want to go so far and come back...so I guess that would make seeing Haleakala Crater difficult.

My 'must sees' for Maui are:Road to Hana/Molokini Snorkel or Honolua Marine Preserve for snorkel/Haleakala Crater/IaoValley/Needle/Kaanapali Beach. Is it possible to fit this all in..in the 2 full days we are there? What would be our best plan of attack?

4. Honolulu Luau?

I had set my sights on the Royal Lahaina Luau in Maui--but another thing to try to fit in Maui! Plus I thought if I did the luau before we left on the cruise in HNL then it would free up a night while on the other islands to enjoy some of the entertainment on the ship. Is the luau at the Sealife Park? on Honolulu as good as the Lahaina one? Firedancers? Price?

LAST QUESTION I PROMISE!! Do I need a rental car in Honolulu?? I have one in Hilo, Maui, Kauai....I read somewhere on the boards..someone suggested that you do not need one here? We are staying in HNL for 2 full days before our cruise and really want to see Honauma Bay, Diamond Head and Pearl Harbour and possibly a luau. Can I see all of these using shuttle services? inexpensively or is a rental a better idea?

Soooo sorry it is long but I really appreciate all of the help!

Debbie

In going over my 'must see' sights in Hawaii...I came across some items I need clarification on. Here goes...

Are both only accessible by boat?? Yes.

We have a rental car and I was wondering if we could do it ourselves? or must be by tour? Is one better than the other for the variety and colour of the fish and price? How to book either place? I'm told that Captain Zodiac is a better snorkel experience (our group did that one) and the water in Kona is...amazing. We booked directly through the excursion desk on the ship - worked out fine, picked up the tour right at the pier.

In other words if yes...is it worth travelling to when we go to VNP or do we see it on the PofH? I thought I read that this cruise ship travels past it or is it not close enough to see it well? We did VNP - it was fine. The ship does sail past the lava flows at night, and it is spectacular - bring good binoculars (they'll serve you well throughout the cruise) and get to a good viewing spot early.

LAST QUESTION I PROMISE!! Do I need a rental car in Honolulu?? ...We are staying in HNL for 2 full days before our cruise and really want to see Honauma Bay, Diamond Head and Pearl Harbour and possibly a luau. Can I see all of these using shuttle services? inexpensively or is a rental a better idea? Yes and no. For convenience, I say yes... but there IS public transportation and organized tours that you could take to do those things too. I just like to have more control over my time, so I say rent a car!

Debbie

Have a great time!!!!

Are both only accessible by boat?? (You can get into the waters of K Bay from the area of the "Place of Refuge", but the best snorkelling is farther away) We have a rental car and I was wondering if we could do it ourselves? or must be by tour? Is one better than the other for the variety and colour of the fish and price? How to book either place?

In other words if yes...is it worth travelling to when we go to VNP or do we see it on the PofH? I thought I read that this cruise ship travels past it or is it not close enough to see it well? (Not nearly close enough. Visit the park)

3. Road to Hana-Maui

If we do decide to travel with rental car to Hana....is it possible to see Haleakala Crater in our travels? I see from a travel magazine that they seem somewhat close? But I also realize that if we attempt (and I do want to) to try the Road to Hana that it is a long trip and we may want to go so far and come back...so I guess that would make seeing Haleakala Crater difficult. (Don't try them on the same day)

My 'must sees' for Maui are:Road to Hana/Molokini Snorkel or Honolua Marine Preserve for snorkel/Haleakala Crater/IaoValley/Needle/Kaanapali Beach. Is it possible to fit this all in..in the 2 full days we are there? What would be our best plan of attack? (Very ambitious schedule for 2 days. The Road to Hana will take most of a day itself, the crater several hours, the needle is close, but Kaanapali is quite a drive. Molokini has to be a boat trip, at least a few hours if you go.)

4. Honolulu Luau?

I had set my sights on the Royal Lahaina Luau in Maui--but another thing to try to fit in Maui! Plus I thought if I did the luau before we left on the cruise in HNL then it would free up a night while on the other islands to enjoy some of the entertainment on the ship. Is the luau at the Sealife Park? on Honolulu as good as the Lahaina one? Firedancers? Price?(No ideas on this)

LAST QUESTION I PROMISE!! Do I need a rental car in Honolulu?? I have one in Hilo, Maui, Kauai....I read somewhere on the boards..someone suggested that you do not need one here? We are staying in HNL for 2 full days before our cruise and really want to see Honauma Bay, Diamond Head and Pearl Harbour and possibly a luau. Can I see all of these using shuttle services? inexpensively or is a rental a better idea? (Check online for "The Bus" schedule. It may go to most of the places you want to see.)

Debbie

Enjoy whatever you decide to do.

Archived