First Cruise AOS - What Where When How....

Hi

This is our very first cruise. We will be sailing on the Adventures of the Seas October 14. Ports include San Juan, Aruba, St Thomas, St Marteen and Curacao.

I have been collecting tips and tricks from you all but I have little information on Excursions.

A few questions

Firstly - any tips, ways to do things, advice while on board is appreciated

Secondly - excursions - What MUST we do, What can we avoid, How /Where do I research

Thirdly - I am a shopper - Where should I go, What is the best/cheapest (for each port) I heard something about Coach?

Lastly, We are flying in to San Juan 2 days before

What can we do - I heard there is a rainforest adventure?? Where can we eat? etc

Thank you Thank you Thank you for any information you can give.

Hi

This is our very first cruise. We will be sailing on the Adventures of the Seas October 14. Ports include San Juan, Aruba, St Thomas, St Marteen and Curacao.

I have been collecting tips and tricks from you all but I have little information on Excursions.

A few questions

Secondly - excursions - What MUST we do, What can we avoid, How /Where do I research

Thirdly - I am a shopper - Where should I go, What is the best/cheapest (for each port) I heard something about Coach?

What can we do - I heard there is a rainforest adventure?? Where can we eat? etc

Hi Honeychild :)

We just got off the AOS after 14 nights this past Sunday. I started a thread with lots of information about our cruise, the ports, shopping etc - maybe take a peek at it?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=515249

If you have any questions - let me know and I would be happy to answer them!

The AOS is a great ship :D

Awesome!

I was hoping you would reply - I saw your sea legs post!!

Great information - from one Robyn to another - Same spelling too!

Thanks again

Really? We have the same name? Neat :D

If you want to email me with any and all questions about the AOS - please feel free to do so : ckrobyn@hotmail.com

The room has finally stopped spinning! ;)

Hi

A few questions

Oh yay..welcome to cruising!!!!!!

We will be doing that route for the 2nd time in a few days, can't waiT!!

I guess it all depends on what kind of activities you like to do, so I guess I'll tell you what we have planned and what we have done in the past, maybe that will help??

In San Juan:

I have done the tour of El Moro (?) the famous Fort.. why? Well I like history and I thought it was interesting. Also, I did some shopping there, got a nice yellow topaz ring in white gold. Would I go to El Moro again? prolly not.. once was enough. Do I think that is a great palce to shop..eh so-so.. good for knock-offs like Lacoste and Coach and Vitton. I suggest you go to a local dept store to brush up on the styles before you go so you can try and get the most authentic looking one though.

Curacao:

Iam ZERO help here.. last time we never made it off the ship.. lil too much fun the day before.. so we ar elooking forward to this this time around.

Aruba:

LOVE LOVE LOVE snorkeling the Antilla Warship Wreck. Very very cool! Of course we love to snorkel so if there is a tour we will try it! We are actually going to do this trip again, and we already booked it via the website. Once you get your cruise docs you can do that.

St Thomas:

We did the Sea Blaster snorkel tour.. so much fun! Saw loads of new fish including a Spotted Eagle Ray. They bring you to Fish Island (which I think is for sale for a cool 20 million or something) and you can snorkel there. A few yrs back I shopped this island and I have to say, imho, it is the best for shopping. This trip also has the BEST rum punch I have ever had in the caribbean, it's pineapple based and it will sneak up on you...just a warning!

They have a shop that sells black coral jewelry...I never bought any but it is so beautiful! I got a watch there for dirt cheap..a Swiss Army..and I still have it. Works great! There is also an internet cafe above the shop where I bought my watch.. the access is FREE..well, ok it was last time I was there.

St Maarten:

Been to Orient Beach.. beware..topless and all sorts of interesting things...like people wearing thongs that shouldn't be..lol!!! However, I found it BORING b/c I like to be active on the beaches and there was nothing to see when I put my snorkel gear on. You can rent chairs and umbrellas and also get yourself something to eat. There was the HUGEST Iguana EVER there too..seems he must have capitalized on the leftovers!! I have heard Mullet Bay is nice as well as Cas Abou--dunno if I am spelling that right..

You should really join a Roll Call Forum...I am sure your fellow cruisers will have lots of tips and pointers..and as always it is nice to already "know" someone besides your fellow cabin mates before boarding.

We were in San Juan about 6 weeks ago. If youv'e never been to the old fort that is a "must do." Also Old San Juan is full of stores and resturaunts. It's all within walking distance of the port. There is a neat outdoor bar right on the ocean near the San Juan beach hotel. The beach here had a tide pool with lots of crabs to keep us company. Have fun!

We will be on this same ship/route in August...and can't wait!!!

Here is what we have planned so far---

Aruba - Mi Dushi 5-hr snorkel sail (http://www.midushi.com) $49/pp if booked online beforehand...includes catered lunch, open bar, and 3 snorkel stops, including one at the Antilla shipwreck...I think this may be the best value on the island(s)!

Curacao - it's a toss-up between taking a short cab ride over to Breezes Resort and paying $65/pp for an all-inclusive day pass (all you can eat, drink, and lounge chairs, facility use, non-motorized water sports, etc.)....OR...taking a longer cab ride to Playa Porto Mari beach. The pictures of this place are absolutely amazing...it's only $2/pp entry, and they have equipment rental/dive shop, as well as a beach bar and restauant.

St Maarten - we contemplated renting a car here, but decided to play it safe and save a bit of money by booking a private tour with Beau of No Rush Tours (http://www.norushtours.com) It's $60/pp for 2, price goes all the way down to $30/pp for a group of 6, and in between that for groups of 3-5. It's a 7-8 hr tour, and Beau will take you wherever you want and stop whenever you want. We plan to go to Mullet Bay Beach, Orient Beach, Marigot, and any little stops along the way that Beau suggests.

St Thomas - I've been here before, so I don't want to do another island tour, though I would highly recommend it for a first-timer. We've also contemplated going over to St. John on our own or taking a full-day sail with one of the many sailboat charters at Red Hook. But, I think what we will end up doing is some shopping near the pier, then heading up to Paradise Point on the tram for drinks and great views...then heading to nearby Morningstar Beach or Bolongo Bay for an afternoon at the beach.

Hope this helps!

did this crusie in Nov- so much fun,, loved ship we are doing other islands in Sept. Shop in Curacao.... just start walking in town- you will see fakes in the store windows- lots of choices- coach, louie, gucci. Enjoy

There is a rainforest (El Yunque) about 45 minutes from San Juan. If at all possible, you might want to try to get to Fajardo for kayaking in the bioluminescent bay. There are only about 4 in the world and 2 of them are in Puerto Rico. A Puerto Rican couple were 2 of my tablemates and they highly recommended doing this activity.

Have only been to Aruba once and I'm looking forward to doing something a bit more beach and water this time.

In Curacao, the ship offers a Dolphin swim (pricey), but you can not schedule on your own as they will only take reservations through the ship when they are in port. Worth every penny. You spend about 30 minutes in the water with the Dolphins and you get to see a show with another 3 dolphins afterward.

In St. Maarten, I always enjoy Orient Beach. Some days are meant for relaxing. There are also boats offering parasailing if one is interested. Shopping is good in Phillipsburg as well. There is a tall ship excursion that you can book on your own - Lord Sheffield's which is also quite good.

St. Thomas is always good for shopping. I've done an island tour and a walking tour of Charlotte Amalie in the past. Was planning some parasailing in St. Thomas this last trip, but it was too windy. :(

Have fun and I hope you find some activities to enjoy.

Jen

We loved this itineray. In Aruba, we rented a car $40.00 and drove the island. Would I do it again - no- I would take the bus or a cab $10.00 one way to the hotel area. There I would rent a chair, do lunch etc. We also went to the Rennisance Island Hotel. We had passes but you can pay 50.00 and get a pass to the Island. I would do this again. At night we went to the Soprano's Bar (in the hotel area, Palm Beach). It was great. Barry from Boston (Schooner Bar AOS player) is often there. We just walked on our own in Curacao. Make sure you see the floating market. In St. Thomas we did the ship excursion that was the speedboats for two and snorkeling. It was...just okay. I'd do St. John's on your own. In St. Maarten (3rd time) we rented a car. We drove the Island (very easy) and went to Orient for maybe 1/2 hour then onto Grand Caste (the cut off right before the little airport). This is a little French Village with a beautiful beach (quiet) with yachts and amazing restaurants for lunch. Then onto Maho Beach. It is here that the planes fly a few (I do mean a few) feet above your head to land. It is a highlight in St. Maarten. Hope these suggestions help.

We went to El Yunque and were not overwhelmed by the excursion. Traffic was bad and there was a severe storm which took out 1/2 the island's power- so no traffic lights were working,etc. (in all fairness!) If I had 2 consecutive days, I'd check the moon's calender and if it's less than 1/2 full I'd do BioBay!

I have yet to enjoy a snorkel tour in St. Marteen, so this time we are visiting Loterie Farms. I think it all depends on you and how much you really want to "get out there". We are doing a private excursion with High Pockets in St. Thomas.

I've never been to Aruba/Curacao - so I'll let you know after May. We are doing De Palm snorkel in Aruba and Sea Lion swim, then walking to the floating market in Curacao.

Karen

We went to El Yunque and were not overwhelmed by the excursion. Traffic was bad and there was a severe storm which took out 1/2 the island's power- so no traffic lights were working,etc. (in all fairness!) If I had 2 consecutive days, I'd check the moon's calender and if it's less than 1/2 full I'd do BioBay!

I have yet to enjoy a snorkel tour in St. Marteen, so this time we are visiting Loterie Farms. I think it all depends on you and how much you really want to "get out there". We are doing a private excursion with High Pockets in St. Thomas.

I've never been to Aruba/Curacao - so I'll let you know after May. We are doing De Palm snorkel in Aruba and Sea Lion swim, then walking to the floating market in Curacao.

Karen

I just did the sea lion swim in Curacao. It was very cool. Did the treetop adventure in st. maarten which was a blast. Horseback riding in Aruba and discover scuba diving in St. Thomas. Each one was well worth the time and money.

I just did the sea lion swim in Curacao. It was very cool. Did the treetop adventure in st. maarten which was a blast. Horseback riding in Aruba and discover scuba diving in St. Thomas. Each one was well worth the time and money.

Did the sea lion swim with Atty...loved it.

You can also check out my review here http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=515952

We did this cruise in Sept 2006 and also went to PR 2 days early. We rented a car in Puerto Rico and went to the rainforest. There is plenty of hiking and sights to see there. We also went to the forts in Old San Juan and did a little shopping.

In Aruba, we went to the beach and hung out until mid day. We took a cab to the beach but took the bus back. It was only $1 or $2 per person and it dropped us off at the cruise ship. In the afternoon we took a private tour (just pick it up at the dock) and had a wonderful time. I think it was $20 per person and they took us all over the island.

In Curacao, we rented a car and toured the island. I think the car for $40. The place we rented it from was kinda sketchy but it worked out fine. We were not impressed with this island.

St Martin - we did a kayaking and snorkling tour through the ship. It was awesome and well worth the money. Also St. Martin is a great place to shop.

St Thomas - we rented a car and toured the island. Spent the afternoon at Meagan's Bay. You can rent chairs, snorkling equipment, etc there.

boingy....the DePalm Island scuba trip may NOT be the best choice. We went there last week and were very disappointed......rough surf, lousy food, and the island is located just off shore in front of a HUGE electric plant! Not the tropical paradise we were expecting!!!!:eek:

boingy....the DePalm Island scuba trip may NOT be the best choice. We went there last week and were very disappointed......rough surf, lousy food, and the island is located just off shore in front of a HUGE electric plant! Not the tropical paradise we were expecting!!!!:eek:

Wow! I had read great reviews. I will read further. Thanks for the info!

Karen

We're shopaholics so I'll share our observations. St Maarten has the best prices for booze and cigarettes bar none. We also think the jewelry prices are better there but others prefer St Thomas. Mr Tablecloth is a must stop at either place. Aruba seemed overpriced for most shopping. Curacao had a few good deals and is a fun place to stroll around. Their swing bridge is cool but it was closed for repair the last time we were there (09/06). San juan has the best breakfast house in the Caribbean (La Bombonera) and we really enjoyed the food at the Metropol. Shopping there was pretty expensive. Bon Voyage!

Have done this itinerary twice, and the things we loved we did, twice.

Aruba -- Daytime snorkeling the Antilla wreck; nighttime taking the Kuku Kunuku party bus tour. Picture a school bus, painted red, with no windows. Maracas all-around, loud sound system blaring island music, and a horn that played the theme from the 'Godfather.' You and your rowdy new friends go to the California lighthouse for a sunset champagne toast; then have dinner at tables in the back yard of Bruce Lee's cousin, then hit three local pubs ranging from semi-quiet to loud. At the second stop, you'll likely see some of your travel mates dancing on the bar. Last stop, Carlos & Charlie's is notable for many reasons but for these purposes you get to bypass any waiting line to get in. From here it's a short 5 minute walk back to the ship in time for the midnight departure. We've done this twice.

pictures?t=roncasalotti&id=http%3A%2F%2Fshutter06.pictures.aol.com%3A80%2Fdata%2Fpictures%2F06%2F004%2F7B%2FFB%2F2C%2F3A%2FdGBtfXS2gKGECoAKFr6am2Vb7roWtjrQ0180.jpgron_ronda.jpg

Curacao - Snorkeling with the sea lions was fun, yet educational -- who'd a thunk it? Afterwards, walk into Willemstadt and get a drink or meal at one of the outside restaurants on the far side of the harbor. Then watch the floating bridge do its thing.

St. Maarten -- Another of the things we've done twice. Americas Cup Yacht Racing (their web site: http://www.12metre.com/regatta.htm). You get to race on one of the yachts used in the 1986 America's Cup races against another boat. You all share the "work" which ranges from very active to not at all (your choice). Lot's of fun.

St. Thomas - We liked Megan's Bay, twice. You might, too.

R

Archived