Is Carnival trips shorter at the ports vs. RCL ?

Boostedtaco

Hey,

I'm new and just back off my first cruise, and planning to take another one soon. I was on the RCL - Splendour and wanted to try Carnival. Well I was comparing two cruises from the same port and questioned their time spent at the destination port.

It's a 4 day cruise from Galveston to Cozumel. Carnival departs Galveston @ 4 pm, Arrives at Cozumel @ 9am (3rd day) and departs @ 5pm. That's only 8 hrs of port time. Compared to RCL, it departs @ 5pm, arrives at port @ 7am and departs @ 7pm. That's 12 hrs.

I'm confused why Carnival port stay is shorter and why it takes sooo long to get to the destination. The only thing i noticed is between the two ships is cruising speed. Carnival Ecstasy is 21 knots, and the RCL - Splendour is 24 knots.

Is 3 knots that much of a difference? Or does the cruise line have to pay for port usage time or something.

I'm just curious! Help!

Welcome to CC & RCI ! Without being smart - please - it just is what it is. The times are published and all cruise lines try to do what they say they will. The Splendour spends more time in port than the Rhapsody in the same ports.

Archived