yacht racing St.Thms/St.Mrtn/Antg or Barbds

referring specifically to the shore excursions offered by Royal Carribean - can people share the pros/cons of their YACHT RACING experiences in either St. Thomas, St. Martin, Antigua and Barbados.

my husband and I are looking to do one - but which location is the question?

thanks,

Es

My fiancee and I just did this excursion in St. Maarten last week. He loved it but I hated it. I cannot swim and am therefore scared of deep water. You wear no life jackets and can only hold onto a small, skinny rope. Everyone must participate in operating the boat in some way. I also got sea sick so the guy stearing also had to do my job because I had to just sit on the floor. We had rough water that day as well so when the boat was on its one side I got drenched as well as some others. I hated it! Never again will I do something like that. Most everyone else loved it but it is not good for scaredy cats like myself:( . The island of St. Maarten is beautiful and I wish I could have seen more of it but by the time we finished, my nerves were shot and so we headed back to the ship.

Also in regards to the post above me, the boat I was on did beat Star and Stripes...we were the Canada boat.

You may want to have a little chat with your fiance regarding future mutual excursions, limitations and safeguards. One of our favorite stories was a macho guy in Monterey, CA who was out on the rocks among huge waves & a tide. His girlfriend kept pleading with him to retreat to safety & he wouldn't finally she just accepted, gave up and said "well throw me the car keys". Sometimes you just have to survive.

I have only done the one in St. Maarten and found it to be an excellent excursion. Your duties can be at whatever level of physical activity you wish. Some, such as the time keeper, require no physical exertion whatsoever.:)

Archived