starting to have second thoughts...

novusordomundi

Three weeks ago when I booked the 6/2 Dawn cruise from NY to Bahamas/Bermuda I was completely psyched and could not wait. Now as I get within 4 days of my last day to cancel and get refunded, reading all the bad news about the Dawn has me significantly less excited and considering booking a different cruise.

I'm really bummed out about the engine situation, as the reason I booked the Dawn was the itinerary and the fact that it had no back-to-back sea days, which sailing out of NYC to the Caribbean is a rarity. My wife and I sailed on Carnival Legend last year with a compromised itinerary (the previous cruise had a passenger overboard as a suicide, thus delaying our departure nearly a day because of the search and rescue operation that ensued). We didn't complain, as it was our honeymoon and we still had a great time, but we did feel very rushed at the 3 ports we did end up calling on, and those double sea days left us a slight bit bored. The Dawn's 6/2 itinerary seemed heaven-sent comparatively. But now it appears at her compromised speed there's mathematically no way we'll get to see the three ports we have scheduled (Nassau, GSC and Bermuda). Couple that with the recent bedbug posts (of which part of me knows I should take with a grain of salt, but still....) and I'm at a loss. :confused: A seven day cruise to see two ports with 5 sea days is not exactly my preference. Should I cancel and re-book elsewhere?

If you don't enjoy at sea days, but want to cruise the caribbean, you may want to consider flying to San Juan and doing a southern Caribbean cruise.

We did a 7 day cruise last year with 5 ports, out of San Juan. Honestly - we really wanted a sea day by the 4th port - but we did get to see a lot of islands.

And, I think the cruise rates are cheaper than if you leave from NY, more than compensating for the airfare you'd pay.

thanks for positive vibe BBM. As it stands right now, that looks like the plan. I'm really hoping that even if they do have to cut out a port, maybe they can replace it with a different port that the revised schedule does permit, so as to break up the sea days if nothing else. I'd be satisfied with that even if it had to be San Juan! :eek:

Three weeks ago when I booked the 6/2 Dawn cruise from NY to Bahamas/Bermuda I was completely psyched and could not wait. Now as I get within 4 days of my last day to cancel and get refunded, reading all the bad news about the Dawn has me significantly less excited and considering booking a different cruise.

I'm really bummed out about the engine situation, as the reason I booked the Dawn was the itinerary and the fact that it had no back-to-back sea days, which sailing out of NYC to the Caribbean is a rarity. My wife and I sailed on Carnival Legend last year with a compromised itinerary (the previous cruise had a passenger overboard as a suicide, thus delaying our departure nearly a day because of the search and rescue operation that ensued). We didn't complain, as it was our honeymoon and we still had a great time, but we did feel very rushed at the 3 ports we did end up calling on, and those double sea days left us a slight bit bored. The Dawn's 6/2 itinerary seemed heaven-sent comparatively. But now it appears at her compromised speed there's mathematically no way we'll get to see the three ports we have scheduled (Nassau, GSC and Bermuda). Couple that with the recent bedbug posts (of which part of me knows I should take with a grain of salt, but still....) and I'm at a loss. :confused: A seven day cruise to see two ports with 5 sea days is not exactly my preference. Should I cancel and re-book elsewhere?

Actually, your itinerary is very doable. The problem with these last 10-11day cruises is that they are going way way south. Nassau is reachable with the Dawn's azipod problems, GSC is very near Nassau. You really travel very slowly going from Nassau to GSC. Bermuda is on the way back to NYC.

As for the bed bugs. We have sailed the Dawn 7 times and have NEVER had a problem. Roatan & GSC have sand fleas, that can cause the same bumps and itching as bed bugs. I know that for a fact because my wife broke out in a rash from the chemicals in the hot tub (she's allergic to Bromide) and the ships doctor asked her if she got off at GSC or Roatan because of the sand flea problem.

Realx and enjoy your cruise. The Dawn is a VERY clean ship and you will love her.

Happy Sailing,

Monty

We are on the same cruise 6/2 Dawn, and we are not worried at all. Just go with the flow and enjoy the pace. We plan on having a fantastic time no matter where we stop or don't stop. Relax and enjoy the cruise and the peaceful time together. As far as added guests, do a thorough inspection and I'm sure you will be put at ease, if you should find something, it will be corrected when brought to their attention, politely but firmly.

Actually, your itinerary is very doable. The problem with these last 10-11day cruises is that they are going way way south. Nassau is reachable with the Dawn's azipod problems, GSC is very near Nassau. You really travel very slowly going from Nassau to GSC. Bermuda is on the way back to NYC.

Monty

Monty-- thanks for the encouragement. That is exactly what I needed to hear regarding the itinerary ! Your post is much appreciated. I am feeling much better already. :)

I am feeling much better already. :)

You'll feel even better once you board her. She's a beauty, I sailed her about a month after she launched and needed 2 weeks on her just to get my bearings.:p And it was odd, but it never felt crowded or all that very large.

The Dawn's engines could be fixed by the time you take your cruise. You would fell stupid if you changed ships because of the Dawn's engine problems now, it's engines do get fixed, while the ship with perfectly good engines now that you switched to, comes up with engines problems before your cruise.

Conditions as they are today will most likely change before your cruise.

we`re going in june as well and spoke to NCL this week and was told engine concerns would be repaired in next2-3 cruises with extended stays in port so technicians can correct the issues. we feel comfortable in not cancelling our booking because of the info provided to us by NCL rep.

Archived